BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beat this list.

Veteran-Sergeant

Wink Beat this list.

Hello.
    I have here a Nid list, you may now, thanks to the divine guidance of the internet, say you can, with just one lonely Space Wolf, make this list eat dirt, to top it, this isn't even a very hard list for Nids. So to the list.

Hq
    Hive Tyrant heavy venom cannon 195
    Elites
    Venomthrope Brood x2 110
    Venomthrope Brood x2 110
    Lictor Brood x2 130
    Troops
    Hormagaunt Brood x30 180
    Hormagaunt Brood x30 180
    Hormagaunt Brood x30 180
    Tyranid Warrior Brood x9, x8 deathspitters, x1 vennom cannon. 325
    Heavy support
    Carnifex Brood x3, x3 heavy vennom cannon, x3 adrenal glands. 585
    1995 points

Basically, one big blob surges forwards under the cover of the Venomthropes whilst the Hive Tyrant and dakafexs try to at least suppress vehicles until they can get up and eat them, Gaunts swamp things until other stuff arrives, but this will change on the day. the warriors sit back and take objectives which may be assaulted whilst providing some fire support, the fexs and warriors can be split up if needed. Basically it is meant to be different to the foot guard list I have played for the last 5 years, as in I have to move more then one model a game. Also, most if not all units are picked because I like them, unlike Hive Guard, so I probably wont take the Carnifexes, Hive Tyrant, or Lictors out.

Now, why I posting this under, Beat this list, basically rather then list building advice I want you to tell me how with your armies you would take this list apart, be it super-competitive Space Wolves or a fun sisters army, I just want you to tell me my weaknesses that your army would pick on. You shouldn't have problems coming up with ideas I hope this is far from the be all and end all of lists I just want to know how people will react and hence what i should do in turn, and please be realistic, just because Heavy Venom Cannons aren't the most effective anti tank doesn't mean none of your DE Raiders will die.

Well lately I've been running a loganwing missile spam list, I'll repeat it here with minimal detail:

+ Logan
    + Rune Priest
    + Lone Wolf x2
    - CF/SS
    + Wolf Guard Pack x5
    - Termie with CML, CF & SB
    - 4x wg with combis
    + Thunder Wolf with SS/PF x3
    + Long Fangs Pack with Rockets x3

So, the way I would handle your list is by laying 25 frag missiles into the 30-man blob squads and having the rune priest put murderous hurricane onto them so the entire mob takes dangerous terrain tests every time it moves/runs/assaults. Once it finally got into assault range the Space Wolves move into terrain and Logan pops his +1 attack and the whole army pretty much gets +2 atks (1 for logan 1 for counter charge) and you'll be going last due to a lack of grenades.

As for the Monstrous Creatures and Warriors I'm really not too concerned about them to be honest. Given the lone wolves, the thunderwolves and the spammy-ness of the missiles I really don't think I would have much issue taking them down.

Maybe my list is just a bad match-up? I do like the list, I think it's quite nasty for Tyranids.
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

Brother-Sergeant

Lots of bugs=lots of Flamestorm cannons and flamers! but good list
    Record 2012 8-8-3 Blood Angels:
    "If you get close to Mephiston he will give you Death by Roo Roo!"

Quote Originally Posted by blackarmchair View Post
    Well lately I've been running a loganwing missile spam list, I'll repeat it here with minimal detail:

+ Logan
    + Rune Priest
    + Lone Wolf x2
    - CF/SS
    + Wolf Guard Pack x5
    - Termie with CML, CF & SB
    - 4x wg with combis
    + Thunder Wolf with SS/PF x3
    + Long Fangs Pack with Rockets x32k

So, the way I would handle your list is by laying 25 frag missiles into the 30-man blob squads and having the rune priest put murderous hurricane onto them so the entire mob takes dangerous terrain tests every time it moves/runs/assaults. Once it finally got into assault range the Space Wolves move into terrain and Logan pops his +1 attack and the whole army pretty much gets +2 atks (1 for logan 1 for counter charge) and you'll be going last due to a lack of grenades.

As for the Monstrous Creatures and Warriors I'm really not too concerned about them to be honest. Given the lone wolves, the thunderwolves and the spammy-ness of the missiles I really don't think I would have much issue taking them down.

Maybe my list is just a bad match-up? I do like the list, I think it's quite nasty for Tyranids.

Where are the other 8 missiles coming from? I count 15 from long fangs and 2 from CML.

Chapter-Master

At 2000pts, I'd have something like, give or take a few upgrades to match the point level:

Grand Master, grenades
    10 Terminators, psycannons, brotherhood banner
    2x10 GKSS, psycannons, psybolts, rhinos
    10 Interceptors, psybolts, psycannons
    3 Psyrifle Dreads

I would mostly ignore the hormagaunts, just soften them up a little bit. Let them charge me, I'll counter charge with my Terminators and walk through them. At worst I'll lose a squad as bait, and if you try holding some back then you won't have the assault punch to kill my Terminators.

The Warriors will die to psyrifle dreads. I just need to kill enough that their shooting is no longer a major threat, and I'm not afraid of them in CC at all since they lack lash whips.

The Hive Tyrant will get shot to death. So will the venomthropes. I'll probably just ignore the lictors, all my units can take them I believe, though I've never seen them played.

So, turn 1 most of the warriors are dead and the gaunts are softened up. Turn 2 I just shoot the crap out of anything in range, and turn 3 and after I let stuff assault my screening GKSS and counter assault with Terminators, or steal the charge with Interceptors. My Terminators then walk through the army, and I just need to keep as many of my power armor guys alive as possible.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

My turn, i suppose.

HQ
    Baron Sathonyx
    Duke Sliscus

Troops
    18 Hellions w/ Helliarch, agonizer
    9 Warriors w/ Blaster in Raider w/ Nightshields, Flickerfield
    10 Wyches w/ Haywire, Hek and Agonizer in Raider w/ Nightshield, Flickerfield
    10 Wyches w/ Haywire, Hek and Agonizer in Raider w/ Nightshield, Flickerfield
    5 Warriors w/ Blaster in Venom w/ Dual Cannons, Nightshield
    5 Warriors w/ Blaster in Venom w/ Dual Cannons, Nightshield

Heavy
    Razorwing Jetfighter, splinter cannon, NS and FF

Turn one is shooting time, focused initially on the Venomthropes from the Splinter Cannons. Immediately following that is one turn of massed fire vs. the Dakkafexes and the hive tyrant. The tyrant takes Darklances and Splinter cannons from the Razorwings and is almost immediately dead, having foolishly left his Tyrant guard back in the gestation pit. Where possible, the razorwings loose their missiles so as to double tag units.

Turn three, with the Tyrant, Thropes, and probably 2+ fexes down, I would turn my attention to the Warriors and Guants. The warriors will be easily dispatched in close combat by a single shoot-charge of the Wyches or Hellions. Remaining razorwing missile spam thins out the Hormaguants.

The Lictors might survive. I don't much care, because in this case I have almost certainly removed every significant threat on the board. Anything still alive is running without any nearby Synapse. I estimate this grand moment of triumph to occur at about turn 4.

In fairness, Tyranids are about the easiest army DE face. But at least now you know why.

-edit- I'm switching some stuff around to make a more generalist list that I might take to a tournament. This has been done by removing a small handful of Hellions and redistributing their points elsewhere. Previously, the Wyches didn't have haywire and the Hellions were numbering their full 20. Against the Tyranid list, the impact will be marginal. Previous cost 1991, new cost 1999
    Last edited by thecactusman17; 09-30-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: see above

I'm playing DE.

My army consists of vect with a bodyguard of 4 grotesquen and a haemi.
    2 10 man warrior squads with shredders and splinter cannons
    1 10 man wrack squad with poison blade (2+) and 2 liquifiers

all in raiders with night and flickerfields.

2 razorwings and 1 voidraven /w 4 shattfield missiles
    all with night and flickerfields

how I would beat you?

prolly by exploiting my mobility, firepower and your lack of synapse.
    my fields give me a 6" range advantage over your long range weapons and I''d seek to exploit that to take allmost no damage from your anti-mech guns for as long as possible.

the game however would be decided in the deployment and movement phase cause any mistake would mean your immediate doom (say you bunch up your warriors -> eat 12 ordnance templates, stay outside of cover -> eat instakill lances, stray to far away from the pulk with a MC -> get lanced without beeing able to return fire the following turn).

as my DE list is built to exploit rather than follow a strict plan its hard to decide. one factor that would be crucial would also be my big HQ. you basically only have two units I might refrain from charging without softing them up bforehand: the 3 fexes and the big warrior blob. so basically at listbuillding you have to make a loss-loss decission with the fexes: either you have alllmost no chance against the grotesquen and vect or you can only shoot one vehicle at a time with them.

I see the biggest weakness lies in the concentration of your long-range firepower in a few expensive models coupled with basically not a single fast unit and of course only 2 synapse nodes.

with my fluff-astral claws it would however scare the **** out of me to see so many bugs advance xD
    rough list is 3 tactical squads, 10 termis /w 2 cyclones, huron, (libby), 1 scoutsquad in storm, 3 thunderfires, 1-2 cyclone speeders.

with them my tactic would be to simply stand, shoot and pray. the termis would act as a shield/countercharge with the thunderfires laying waste with cover ignoring ammo into the gaunts while the missile do their best at killing first the tyrant and later as many carnifex as they can.

in the end it would prolly come to a heroic last stand of the termis VS the big bugs/warriors and the scouts trying something lunatic (like charging the remainders of a gaunt squad, shotguns ablaze)

hope it helps.

Veteran-Sergeant

Hmm.
    Dark Eldar I think will be the toughest because of their mobility and so hence it would be almost impossible to get the Carnifexs in to combat with them, I see the point about synapse, though to be fair the main purpose of most of the army is to charge forward, though maybe in a tactical manner at least, the warriors may need to split with three providing synapse six in a blob. My main counter to shooting is really just to try to get as many cover saves as possible, and if I can't get to terrain I'll have to rely on the 5+ the Venomthropes can give, which will be protected LOS wise by the big things, otherwise let the Hormagaunts soak up the wounds.
    In terms of fire power, I realise that there is only a small amount in a large amount of points, but to be fair most anti tank will come from the Carnifexs getting into combat, so the HVC will be to stun/immobilise vehicles with the occasional destroyed result. also the Carnifexs will probably split up with them assulting vehicles then lending support to the Hormagaunts. In the end it's all a bit hard to say, the table and terrain can give me huge advantages, or if it's too empty it could kill, though if people insist on playing with no terrain then the foot guard will come out again. Still nice to see so many different ways I could get made to eat dirt, gives me some ideas.

a simple way to boost your synapse would be a tyranid prime.
    hide him in the gaunts and voilla you have an allmost unkillable synapse node.
    add boneswords and suddenly the gaunts whipe floor with termis'n stuff!

Chapter-Master

You lose fleet if you do that. Hormoguants have special fleet, too...

I think the list could lo the tyrant, and gain a prime. Drop the lictors and take biovores. Maybe squeeze some points and get a trygon prime.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 09-30-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast