BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Theoritical Tech-Priest question

I'm looking at attaching a techpriest to a unit in a vehicle, but the question has come up as to if that techpriest could have any servitors. The problem arises in that a dedicated transport can only carry a single infantry unit. If a techpriest had any servitors do those count as forming another infantry unit or are they effectively just wargear on an IC?
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Servitors form a unit with the Tech-Priest and would therefore prevent him from joining another unit until they are all removed as casualties.

The thing is (rules-lawyer wise) that Codex: IG doesn't say that they form a new unit, unlike Codex: SM which very clearly states that servitors form a new unit (when take with Techmarines).
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Space marine servitors don't form a new unit when accompanying techmarines; space marine servitors are a separate unit, which a techmarine may accompany as an independent character. IG servitors aren't listed as not a unit, so we should default to treating them as a unit (specifically, a retinue). That means that a techpriest so accompanied cannot join other units, as there is not a special rule saying that he can (as there is for, e.g., Tau commanders accompanied by drones).

Actually, it is irrelevant, because Techpriests are not independent characters (they lack the "Independent Character" special rule in their codex entry) so they can not join units at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gwensdad View Post
    The thing is (rules-lawyer wise) that Codex: IG doesn't say that they form a new unit, unlike Codex: SM which very clearly states that servitors form a new unit (when take with Techmarines).
    It doesn't need to, the Servitors are purchased as additional models for the Tech-Priest's unit, rather than as a separate unit like in the Space Marine codex.

Also, as Magos Bellum mentioned, the lack of the Independant Character rule kind of puts a damper on the whole issue anyway.