BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Librarian and Psychic Hood

In the Space Marine Codex, Librarian section page 56, under the Psychic Hood (last sentence) it says " The psychic hood can be used once each time an enemy model uses a psychic power within range" I was under the impression that I could only try to stop just one psychic power per turn, but another player told me I could use a the Psychic Hood to try to stop as many as were within the 24in range. Seemed a bit over powering if I was able to shut down a Grey Knight psychic round, or another armies psychic powers with just one Librarian.
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

Your friend has it quite right. "Each time an enemy model uses a psychic power within range" means each time, not just one time. Whether it seems "over powering" or not, that's what the rule says.

Fluff-wise, you might note that protecting whole strike forces from enemy psykers is one of a librarian's chief battlefield responsibilities.

Librarian

It's every time, but you only get to make one nullification attempt per enemy power, no matter how many psychic hoods are in range.

Thanks to Sisters of Battle still being able to ally with certain other armies, you can still potentially have at least 2 psychic power saves in the round. Sisters have a rule that gives them the ability to stop a psychic power completely if they are hit or targeted by it and roll a 5+. Could lead to some entertaining shenanigans with psychic blasts or Jaws attacks getting completely turned off for everyone because somebody hit a Battle Sister on accident.

Veteran-Sergeant

Good to know. Thanks for confirming the information.
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

Chapter-Master

It's not that overpowered since most pyskers are likely to be around LD10, same as the librarian, so it comes down to who can roll highest. Which means you normally only have a 50% chance of actually nullifying a power.

Veteran-Sergeant

Actually, worse than 50%. Remember, you have to beat his roll, not match it.

Unless you're stupid Space Wolves. *grumble grumble*

Chapter-Master

It's a 43% chance to block a power for equal leaderships.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.