BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Star Wars: Galaxies to end soon

[URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13925263"]SWG closing in December[/URL], about six years later than I thought.
    I loved SWG back when it was a sophisticated, complex sandbox, even with its faults. So much potential turned into a stupid jedi simulator.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

First-Captain

Hopefully the KOTOR based mmo will be much better.

Well Bioware is making it so it will be a fantastic rpg at least, how the mmo bit works remains to be seen. I have high hopes.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Isn't every Star Wars game just a Jedi Simulator? I mean, look at Rogue Squadron, Shadows of the Empire, and X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter. Lightsabers all over them! Honestly, my favorite SW game so far has been Star Wars Rebellion. Old and clunky, there's still something strangely satisfying about assassinating Chewbacca.

A friend of mine has gotten into the Beta for the new MMO, but he hasn't given me his opinions yet. He was pretty excited last week when he found out, though. And that intro video is ridiculous... I'm not sure any game could live up to it.

SWG wasn't, that was the beauty of it. You weren't a hero, you were just some a soldier/smuggler/whatever out to do the best they could. To be a jedi you had to master pretty much every profession in the game until using holocrons to figure out your force sensitive profession, then when you mastered it you unlocked a force sensitive character slot. Or something along those lines. It was ridiculously hard but it made jedi suitably rare and impressive. Then they made it easier and easier to unlock Jedi until finally you could make one at the start.

Chapter-Master

Star Wars Republic Commando wasn't a Jedi simulator. And damn was it one fine game

I love the first two KOTOR's. They're amongst the only old xbox games I still own (Halo 1 + 2, Republic Commando, Mercaneries and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory are the others deemed worthy of keeping). Its really annoying that the third is online pay to play...
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Librarian

I forgot to throw on some "joke" tags... I don't think any of the games I listed had you playing as a Jedi. Especially not Tie Fighter!

I remember hearing about how Jedi ruined SWG, but I never actually played the game. Kinda too bad. I'm interested in seeing how they balance out the MMO so the other classes are viable, even with playable Jedi/Sith

Brother-Captain

In honor of said demise, here's a golden oldie tribute (better known as "five minutes of your life you'll never get back"):

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVvrW_0Y0mU[/url]

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by necron2.0 View Post
    in honor of said demise, here's a golden oldie tribute (better known as "five minutes of your life you'll never get back"):

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvvrw_0y0mu[/url]
    Damn You!!!
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Librarian

All I have to say is about damned time.

I remember when SWG was awesome, it took skill and time and persistence to become a jedi. They were powerful and rare, and you felt accomplished to be a jedi. Because you were one of the few in a world where just being a jedi was a death sentence. I was so pissed when they made it so anyone could be a jedi.

With SWTOR, at least it makes sense to have tons of jedi and sith, they were rampant in that time period, it was before the rule of 2. So not only does it make sense in the lore, but they are making it immersive which will be great, i cant wait for SWTOR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast