BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Shooting at Units Mounted...

When shooting at a unit that is mounted in a transport and you destroy the transport with one weapon, can you continue to use the rest of the weapons that did not fire on the unit that had to dismount the transport?

Example (And I seen this happen, so hence forth the question) Predator with Autocannon and Heavy Bolter Sponsons shoots the Autocannon at a Rhino and destroys it, the Marines get out, the Predator then uses the Heavy Bolters on the squad that just got out. Player claims he was shooting at the whole unit squad and transport so he could finish shooting all weapons. I was in bystander and hate to throw in my 2cents as well as hate when people do it to me while I am playing. When I looked around the book I could not really find anything on this though.

If that is true it kinda makes me think that a 10 man Marine squad could use its Missle launcher to open up a transport then the rest of the squad could fire on the dismounted troops.
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

Nope, the targets of all shots from the same unit must be declared at the same time. The transport/transported unit example is specifically mentioned in the brb somewhere, don't remember which page.

No, absolutely not. The transport and embarked unit are in no way one unit. Furthermore, all weapons are fired simultaneously and the shooting for all the predator's to-hit and penetration rolls would be resolved at the same time.

If you shoot at a vhl transporting a unit and you destroy the transport you cannot shoot at the unit that was transported within. You can however assault that unit.

doing the graveyard shift so again no rulebook at hand but that is I have understood the rules to be.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsofDeath View Post
    When shooting at a unit that is mounted in a transport and you destroy the transport with one weapon, can you continue to use the rest of the weapons that did not fire on the unit that had to dismount the transport?

Example (And I seen this happen, so hence forth the question) Predator with Autocannon and Heavy Bolter Sponsons shoots the Autocannon at a Rhino and destroys it, the Marines get out, the Predator then uses the Heavy Bolters on the squad that just got out. Player claims he was shooting at the whole unit squad and transport so he could finish shooting all weapons. I was in bystander and hate to throw in my 2cents as well as hate when people do it to me while I am playing. When I looked around the book I could not really find anything on this though.
    Absolutely illegal. As page 67 says,

Note: remember that all models in a single unit fire simultaneously, so a squad cannot take out a transport with its lascannon and then mow down the occupants with their bolters.

The Predator Destructor should have fired both its autocannon and heavy bolters at the Rhino. It cannot fire at the transport (unit A) with one gun and the passengers (unit B) with another.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsofDeath View Post
    If that is true it kinda makes me think that a 10 man Marine squad could use its Missle launcher to open up a transport then the rest of the squad could fire on the dismounted troops.
    Also illegal, for the same reason. Combat squads lets you come sort of close to the effect, though (the demi-squad with the missile launcher could fire at the Rhino, and the other demi-squad could fire at the passengers, if the transport was destroyed).

Brother-Captain

What you CAN do is fire all weapons at the transport in hopes of getting a completely destroyed result that ends up destroying the unit inside as a result (fire las, wrecks it... OK, keep firing HBs, and some how get a completely destroys it with huge explosion...kills all guys inside with bad armor saves...)

JOhn M>

Or you can use one unit to fire at the vehichle. Hope the unit either gets destroyed or ahs to amke an emergency disembark, THEN use another unit to shoot at the disembarked unit. Nothing says you can't do that.

If in doubt just lob a vortex grenade onto your desired target...

Veteran-Sergeant

Thanks for the replys. I just wanted to make sure I did not miss some FAQ or something else that did allow this to happen.
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....