BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 6th ed rumors

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Kawauso View Post
    Is anyone else excited by the implications of a Codex: Chaos Legions?

I would looove to have a fluffy, functional Thousand Sons army...
    Chaos being given the same space as the empire would be awesome. With the last third given to xenos. Chaos Legions have tons of flavor that the rules don't reflect after all.

The lengthy development cycle leaves more time for rumours to be leaked, and in greater quantity.
    And as I said before, -more- people would be working on a rulebook as opposed to a codex - which means more people would have that kind of info, not less.

Barring adjustments from playtesting (which would be largely minor), yes, the book would be finished by about now if it's intended to come out next year, I would think.
    The framework for 6th would have to be nailed down by now, by and large. Anything else would be risking feature creep. It takes a long time to iron out the kinks in a design, and that's what the time between now and a supposed next-year release would be for - playtesting and removing minor errors that crop up. This time would -not- be used for making any major changes to the rules/design.

I'm taking these rumours with a grain of salt like everyone else, of course - but there's too much detailed information here, all presented too reasonably, for me to discount them as false very easily. I'd say they're more true than false, and probably pretty close to what we might see in the next rulebook (barring elaboration on the details, of course).
    Never trust rumours unless you trust the person telling the rumours. Anybody can make up random crap or post obvious, generalized statements to seem believable.

Here's what I heard:
    Assault phase is getting major tune up, big move to streamlining game mechanics
    Lots of changes to vehicle mechanics, focus on making vehicles less of an obvious choice
    Cover going to become more standardized and less protective
    Psychic powers more prevalent, Perils of the Warp chart
    Many special rules getting reworked, no more Fearless wounds

Obviously I just spent half a minute thinking of the most obvious changes. I made all this stuff up, and it's vague enough that you'd believe it.
    http://warhammermusings.blogspot.com/

The lengthy development cycle leaves more time for rumours to be leaked, and in greater quantity.
    And as I said before, -more- people would be working on a rulebook as opposed to a codex - which means more people would have that kind of info, not less.

Barring adjustments from playtesting (which would be largely minor), yes, the book would be finished by about now if it's intended to come out next year, I would think.
    The framework for 6th would have to be nailed down by now, by and large. Anything else would be risking feature creep. It takes a long time to iron out the kinks in a design, and that's what the time between now and a supposed next-year release would be for - playtesting and removing minor errors that crop up. This time would -not- be used for making any major changes to the rules/design.

I'm taking these rumours with a grain of salt like everyone else, of course - but there's too much detailed information here, all presented too reasonably, for me to discount them as false very easily. I'd say they're more true than false, and probably pretty close to what we might see in the next rulebook (barring elaboration on the details, of course).

I kinda have similar views to yours in this regard. We are at the point were 6th ed is effectively finished, and it being massively play tested, proof read, and tweaked for it's final release. Slowly we should start hereing more.

Their are changes here that do make alot of sence. One of the main problems in 40k is the fact rules are not always consistently written from book to book.

The best example of this currently is Insta-Death Vs. Eternal Warrior Vs. Remove from play. By making different "ranks" for Eternal Warrior and Insta-death, they will be able to write the rules more straight foreword, and rules writers will be able to write their rules more consistently with out relying on things like "remove from play" rules.

It's these streamlining and clarifying rules are the ones that I look foreword to, and I expect.

But their are other things here that force me to stop and pause, and scratch my head. Codex Legions and Renegades? (Wish listing much?) Different to hit charts based on what you are shooting at?!?!?!?! Biding points to go 1st? (Why would you ever not want to go 2nd and get stratagems to spend?) Don't even get me started on the new turn phases....

I'm taking alot of salt with this one, until I start hearing similar rumors from other more reliable sources.Their is still plenty of time until 6th ed comes out before we get a more clear pitcher on how this is all going to work, and what the final game will look like.
    Last edited by Lockark; 06-19-2011 at 07:32 PM.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Veteran-Sergeant
    That would make it too easy for the Imperial Assassins

In addendum, I will confess that it's not unfeasible for this to be true. At least the opener makes sense that this pissed off too many people and now they're blatantly defying it. Hey, maybe the next thing we'll see is the entire 6th Edition codex posted on WikiLeaks. :P

Ghost21's reaction to this is kinda interesting.

[url]http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307825&page=3[/url]

He seems to suggest basically well not 100% accurate, their is some truth to this. Hopefully the stranger and more complex mechanics turn out to be incorrect.

=/
    Last edited by Lockark; 06-19-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Scout

Like the different to hit for moving units, always seemed unfair that a unit needs 3+ to shoot a static unit or a jetbike screaming flat out across the board. Like most of this as 5th is too dumbed down for kiddies

Chapter-Master

'Needlessly complex' is just as bad as 'dumbed down'. We'll have to wait and see if the new rules fall into either category.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I hope most of that is false, they ruined Fantasy for me with 8th edition, and i don't think i like any of those changes.

40k is nice, simple, and easy as it is. Sure, there's one or two tweaks that would improve things, but nothing this stupidly complex and broad.

Battle-Brother

I really like what I'm reading. I would really appreciate a bit more complexity in the rules.
    There is much potential for a much better 40k in these rumors.

I Just hope that GW doesn't f*ck it up.
    Last edited by yrdetraxe; 06-20-2011 at 02:50 AM.

Chapter-Master

A lot of this sounds like absolute bol**cks to me.

For a lot of this the FAQ and updates on all the codexes that would be needed would be huge.

You find that the people who think the 4+ cover save should be reduced are marine players. Players who play with most xenos races don't want them reduced. So seeing as its GW and everything is done to hepl the poster boys I wouldn't be suprised if the cover save got reduced to a 6+ but only if you pass an Initiative test...

As for the rumours...the BS chart makes sense for "realism" its too complex to remember. The bidding for turn 1 is stupid

Glad theres no mention of pre-measuring though
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast