BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Going to ground and Claiming Objectives

If a unit goes to ground can it still claim an objective?

I had a player try this on the last turn of the game when I shot at em, he made his unit go to ground but said he could still claim the objective for the end of the game. I looked around in the rule book and could not see anything in reference to this.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

No you would not be able to as going to ground effectively makes you count as pinned as well

Quote Originally Posted by Duo Sonata View Post
    No you would not be able to as going to ground effectively makes you count as pinned as well
    You have that backwards, being pinned forces you to go to ground. Also, pinning/going to ground has no effect at all on a unit's ability to score. What AngelsofDeath's opponent did was perfectly legal.

Veteran-Sergeant

Just saying this situtation was at the end of turn 6 ( we only play up till 6 no ending early or going one more) and I was shooitng at his squad.

But would would it make a difference if it was shooting at the top or bottom 1/2 of the turn?
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsofDeath View Post
    But would would it make a difference if it was shooting at the top or bottom 1/2 of the turn?
    Nope. You pointed out yourself, there's nothing in the Going to Ground sidebar on pg. 24, the Pinning weapon section on pg. 31, or the Scoring Units section on pg. 90 that prohibits a gone to ground unit from scoring. So especially in your situation, with a guaranteed game end, there's no reason to not go to ground on turn 6 if you went first.

Chapter-Master

In my opinion you can't hold objectives if pinned. I don't have the rule book on me, but I'm sure its not allowed.

You can't do anything if pinned, so why should you be able to hold a objective?
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

I saw something even more cheeky a while ago. Someone had strung out their squad to claim two objectives and tried to go to ground and remove casualties from the middle of the unit, leaving two bits of the squad on each objective unable to move back into coherency.

It wasn't my game so I don't know what the eventual outcome was, but people will try anything.

My view is that a unit that has gone to ground can claim an objective, as it doesn't say otherwise and claiming an objective isn't an action as such. I wouldn't be averse to a rule change in 6Ed that stops this, but that's another thread.

pinned never stopped you from scoring.
    if it doesnt say in the BRB why should it?

actually the effects of pinning/going to ground are exactly what a military unit in a warzone would do if they were guarding an objective: keeping their heads low, not drawing attention by shooting or moving away.

the unrealistic part here is not with going to ground but how 40k has its objectives (imo they should either be: stop the enemy from advancing past a certain sport and/or get to a certain location and either retrieve an item or activate a device)

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by isotope99 View Post
    I saw something even more cheeky a while ago. Someone had strung out their squad to claim two objectives and tried to go to ground and remove casualties from the middle of the unit, leaving two bits of the squad on each objective unable to move back into coherency.

It wasn't my game so I don't know what the eventual outcome was, but people will try anything.

My view is that a unit that has gone to ground can claim an objective, as it doesn't say otherwise and claiming an objective isn't an action as such. I wouldn't be averse to a rule change in 6Ed that stops this, but that's another thread.
    Yeah if they break coherency it can't be done. In regards to the OP, a model going to ground affects its ability to score in no way.
    Why is it the bad guys are always more interesting?

Neither does being out of coherency. The only consequence to being out of coherency is that the next time you can move, you have to move to get back into coherency. Nothing says it affects your ability to score.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast