BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    We bought this the other day, and it passed the "wife test." She really enjoyed playing it, and went out and bought a walker expansion on her own. She will not play 40k or Warmahordes, though she does dabble in boardgames with me. I didn't expect her to like it, and she really did.

I think D:T is a GREAT intro to the hobby. The games are fast enough that you can play multiple in one session, or can play a quickie for some filler. The rules are very clear with good examples (the rules overview insert is great; I wish they'd have provided two instead of one) and the game looks nice on the table.

Further, the expansion boxes are really, really reasonably priced. Online, you're looking to pay about $2 per minature, which we all know is super-low for this hobby. Sure, they're not as nice looking as the new GW plastics, but they look plenty nice (think AT-43 quality, as they're nearly the same). The walkers are also really well priced, and can be had at less than $20 online.

I'm actually going to demo it for a buddy tonight, but I wholeheartedly recommend it. It doesn't replace any of my measure-and-move miniatures games, but it fills a void quite well.
    Thank you for this! The gf is interesting in wargaming and she needs an intro to it. I think this might be a great way to do it. I did hear they are making plans to release an expansion that will move it from the board, but this is still a ways out. If they do this tho that could be a GREAT way to get people into the hobby. Stand alone board game that expands into a full on wargame.. awesome.
    www.firstranksecondrank.blogspot.com - Tips on modeling and terrain to enhance your gaming experiences!

Quote Originally Posted by energongoodie View Post
    Hows that different to anything else? 40k would still work with card board cut outs of figures on bases.
    The difference is that in 40k and most tabletop war games the position of individual minis has an effect on the game. They determine who can shoot at what targets, movement and cover saves. Sure you could play with coins instead of minis but then each coin has an individual effect.

In Dust Tactics the minis are simply eye candy and wound counters because everything else is determined by the grid square.

OTOH they make great eye candy and I plan on buying more. There are other rule sets out there that could be adapted to the setting.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    The difference is that in 40k and most tabletop war games the position of individual minis has an effect on the game. They determine who can shoot at what targets, movement and cover saves. Sure you could play with coins instead of minis but then each coin has an individual effect.
    Card board cutouts on bases would still achieve this.

I don't now why I'm being so insistent on this? Messages on a postcard.

First-Captain

These are the new releases coming up. Here we can see the weird war element coming through.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    We bought this the other day, and it passed the "wife test." She really enjoyed playing it, and went out and bought a walker expansion on her own. She will not play 40k or Warmahordes, though she does dabble in boardgames with me. I didn't expect her to like it, and she really did.

I think D:T is a GREAT intro to the hobby. The games are fast enough that you can play multiple in one session, or can play a quickie for some filler. The rules are very clear with good examples (the rules overview insert is great; I wish they'd have provided two instead of one) and the game looks nice on the table.

Further, the expansion boxes are really, really reasonably priced. Online, you're looking to pay about $2 per minature, which we all know is super-low for this hobby. Sure, they're not as nice looking as the new GW plastics, but they look plenty nice (think AT-43 quality, as they're nearly the same). The walkers are also really well priced, and can be had at less than $20 online.

I'm actually going to demo it for a buddy tonight, but I wholeheartedly recommend it. It doesn't replace any of my measure-and-move miniatures games, but it fills a void quite well.
    In my opinion the DUST models are better than GW ones. They are more (not perfectly) realisticly proportioned. The tanks look a whole lot better than IG sentinels...

Here's some of my painted ones:
    AMERICANS

GERMANS

I sent BoLS a review if they wanted to post it as the game can really expand, maybe even have a DUST tournament at the next BoLScon (Or WargamesCon or whatever)...

EDIT:
    There are plans for Tabletop Rules, expansion armies for the Sino-Soviets (Russians), Vrill (Alien race, the Germans found a space ship in Antarctica), and probably the Japanese.

EDIT:

Battle Report Here:
    As asked, Battle Report up here:
    [url]http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6915388#6915388[/url]

Last edited by -=Lazuli=-; 06-10-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Chapter-Master

Dig your paint schemes! We can agree to disagree about which model is better :-) I do, however, really like the "tanks." I think the models are super nice, and I can't wait to get my light ones.

Brother-Sergeant

I post up a Battle Report on BGG above. ^_^

First-Captain

That was a fantastic batrep. Thanks!

I've only played Dust a few times so far, but it is pretty damned fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12