BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Chainsword for sale

Just saw this in my [URL="http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-1718-airship-pirate-cutlass-latex.aspx"]Museum Replicas[/URL] catalog. Its supposed to be for steam punk and listed as a "Airship Pirate Cutlass". Me thinks it resembles something else.

It measures 35" with a blade of 25" and runs for $75. Made out of high quality latex.
    On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.

That's just freaking cool

First-Captain

Steampunk cosplay/larp sells so much better than 40k larp/cosplay, I bet.

It is freaking cool, though.

Veteran-Sergeant

Lol Larp is so sad! A friend of mine is doing it, and he says, if you fight and stuff you can't hit on the head and vital area's, how dumb is that! You want to be a "badass warrior" but are afraid of pain and/or you think you can wield a sword...Cool if you can make a costume and all, but pretending you are actualy an mage that throws tennisballs as fire balls, you need a reality check and need to get laid!

Quote Originally Posted by wolflold View Post
    Lol Larp is so sad! A friend of mine is doing it, and he says, if you fight and stuff you can't hit on the head and vital area's, how dumb is that! You want to be a "badass warrior" but are afraid of pain and/or you think you can wield a sword...Cool if you can make a costume and all, but pretending you are actualy an mage that throws tennisballs as fire balls, you need a reality check and need to get laid!
    Wait you are complaining the fact that they run around in the forest pretending to be mages and warriors but... you are so much cooler that sit inside with your sweaty friends playing the commander of a bunch of mages and warriors while throwing dice at a table?.

I haven't played (done?) larp myself but I have plenty of friends that do, the female to male ratio is ALOT higher in larp than in warhammer, the social interaction is ALOT higher than in warhammer. Frack, you do have any idea how much tail Larpers get? (from other larpers, but sure)

And you don't hit each other on the head or vital areas because it freaking hurts and it can poke your eye out. I've been hit with one of those swords and they aren't as soft as they are made out to be, I've also been hit straight in the throat with one and I went down like a log.

As far as pretending to be mage, well... it's silly I agree that's why I don't do it, but then again I play tabletop rpgs, and it's really the same thing, hell I write long fluff stories for my warhammer armies and it's really the same thing. So... Yeah, leave the larpers alone and realise you are spending huge amounts of money on plastic toys =)

Veteran-Sergeant

Well there is a difference between pretending and playing a game! But you're right who im i to judge, everybody got his on shizzle going on. Ok you have to choose: play a game of 40k with friends, while drinking a beer and after that im still a normal guy OR Pretending to be a 'fearless warrior' and hoping some 'larp girl' finds me cool because i swing around with my wooden sword, hoping they don't find out you still live with your mom, having imagenary sex with princes Leia and weep yourself to sleep...

I don't LARP my self, but I know enough about LARP'ing that it sounds like your only exposure to it is the negative stereotypes the Media projects onto it.

LARP'ing is the exact same thing as Airsoft in all honesty. But instead of people running around in the woods "pretending" to be solders, it's people running around in the woods "pretending" to be knights and wizards. Realy is that any lamer then pretending to be a solider? Not to mention people who LARP sci-fi settings incorporate Airsoft rifles and such into it, and resembles Airsoft with silly costumes.

If you look on you tube you can find a LARP'ing group out of Russia who did a large Warhammer 40k LARP'ing event.

Not to mention. Remember when Dungeons and Dragons had all that stuff about Satanic Worship imposed onto it? It is only recently that Warhammer and war gaming has became more "main Stream". We got lumped in with thows negative D&D sterotypes by many people who could not be bothered to understand what it is.

Your on a wargameing forum, Looking down on LARP'ing is hypocritical to say the least. We had our Negative Stereotypes to over come, and LARP'ing is going threw the same thing.
    Last edited by Lockark; 05-03-2011 at 10:47 AM.

lol LARPs differ very greatly across the world. Some are like LAIRE, in the movie role models. Where combat is tappy tappy. Some throw little balls like the LIGHTNING BOLT! Youtube video. Some however, are full contact badassery.

Exhibit A:

[url]http://inox.org/Darkon/[/url]

First video

Veteran-Sergeant

So its a wargame forum, but i still dont dress up like a fairy and try to beat up people with pillows... :P

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by wolflold View Post
    if you fight and stuff you can't hit on the head and vital area's, how dumb is that!

This shows an amazing amount of ignorance.

Combat larps have safety rules--just like traditional combat sports. The reason for this is safety.

Every combat sport (armed or otherwise) has rules, regulations and mandatory safety equipment. Most of them disallow strikes to the groin and face. If such strikes are allowed, it is only under certain conditions and requires the uke (for lack of a better term) to have sufficient protection. Only one combat sport I have participated in, and can think of outside of that venue, allows groin strikes--olympic fencing. And of that, only 2 of the 3 weapons can target the groin--and it's almost universally frowned upon.

Usually, someone trains for a fairly substantial amount of time before they decide to compete.

Larping has no such requirements. Armor is not required. Extensive training is not required. Which is why they are so adamant about avoiding certain target areas. The point is to have fun--not get a concussion, or piss blood for a week.

I can tell you that one thing all those combat sports are limited by, that is absolutely not the case in combat larping (or SCA, etc) is this: They are one-on-one events. You vs. your opponent.

I'll be honest--I dissed larping in general, and combat larping in particular for years. I considered myself a serious martial artist and competitive fencer. Then, I finally capitulated and decided to give it a try.

And you know what? There is nothing more exhilarating than when four opponents jump out of the woods at you at 3 in the morning. The adrenaline flows, you're suddenly more awake and alive, and damn, let me tell you--when it's done, and you're standing and they aren't--that's one of the best feelings in the world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast