BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Shooting at Transports and Troops from inside

Here we go, had a player try to pull off this one.

Predator with Autocannon and Heavy Bolter sponsons shoots at Rhino with 10 man marine squad inside. First shots fired is the Autocannon of course and destroys the Rhino on a 6. The marines have to get out, all survive, no extra wounds. The Predator then uses its Heavy Bolters on the marines, stating that since they were part of the original target that the Predator could still fire at them.

I let him do it, was not too sure, and I was not too worried about the Heavy Bolters and a marine 3+ save.
    So is that legal or not?

I thought I had read that a unit could blow up a transport then assualt the unit that was inside. But just not sure about the shooting deal.
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

Chapter-Master

Illegal. A unit shoots all its weapons simultaneously, and the Predator couldn't shoot at two separate targets anyways.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

What about a Black Templar predator with PoTMS?

Can you declare the marines at the same time as the autocannon, then if you don't blow it up the bolters don't shoot because the target is invalid?
    We are heavy metal pirates! / We sail across the skies! / In our battleships of cosmic steel / we're terror up on high! - Alestorm

Chapter-Master

Then you could shoot two separate targets, but it's still illegal.

The predator shoots all its weapons at the same time. When the predator shoots, the Marines are still in the transport, thus the predator can not target them at all.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Can you declare the marines at the same time as the autocannon, then if you don't blow it up the bolters don't shoot because the target is invalid?
    A swing and a miss. Nopers

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Note the shooting sequence (from memory, sorry if its slightly wrong):
    1- Declare target of shooting unit (Which weapon to firing. What targets. Etc.)
    2- Check target(s) is a legal target(s)
    3- To Hit for all weapons.
    4- To wound/armor penetration for all weapons
    5- Resolve wounds/vehicle damage roll
    6- Move to the next shooting unit(s).

What you're doing is complete step 5 of the sequence (resolve the rhino going "kaboomy")... and then trying to backtrack to step 1 in order to declare the newly disembarked Marines as targets. As said, this is illegal.

Even PotMS cannot help you: if PotMS is activated, it is activated at step 1: you HAVE to say "PotMS shoots at something else" at the same time you say "Landraider shoots at rhino"... so PotMS cannot shoot at the Marines who are at the time still embarked in the Rhino.
    Last edited by wkz; 04-18-2011 at 08:14 PM.
    Spam is considered to be a delicacy in parts of England. For local approximations, consider fine foods such as Beluga Caviar, truffles, or foie gras. - Actual GW website quote