BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Blood Angels Honour Guard

In the Blood Angels codex it says "You can take one unit of Honour Guard for every HQ you have in your army, not counting Honour Guard units" But it does not say that you have to attach or keep them together. Just to clarify, do this Honour guard fall under the Retinues paragraph of the Independent characters section of the 40k rule book? Or can it roam on its own and start off the game without the Independent character?
    Last edited by AngelsofDeath; 03-27-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: spelling
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

Chapter-Master

where does it say that the honor guard must be joined to an HQ? It does not.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    where does it say that the honor guard must be joined to an HQ? It does not.
    It does not say that anywhere, that is my point. But I wanted to get some input as to if they may fall under the Retinues section (page 48) of the 40K Rule book? Or if you buy them and the HQ/Character is not forced to joining them, considering that the only way you can field them is because of the HQ.

No you don't have to have them with the character. they are just only unlockable if you will when you take a character. But are for all purposes a unit of their own.

Which is nice because it means you can take the sanguinor or mephiston and still access the honourguard. They just can't go with them.

Retinues should have the retinue ruling or wording. such as 'may be taken as a retinue for' or under special rules it might say retinue etc.

but in this case they are just unit that can be taken when you take a HQ.

Hope that helps

Chapter-Master

does it say that the independent character joined to a honorguard loses IC status? No it does not.

does it say that the independent character joined to a honorguard loses IC status? No it does not.
    Whats that reference to?

Veteran-Sergeant

I referenced other codexs and the Retinue or Body Guard rule is specific to them. As far as I can see it is not specific to Blood Angels. But I wanted to toss the idea out there and see what people thought about it. I am making a tournament list and do not plan on running the IC with the Hon Guard, but want to use the Hon Guard unit and want to avoid this discussion when I turn my list in for review or when I deploy and the IC is not with the Hon Guard. Thanks

Chapter-Master

the point is, all of the things you are worrying about are not written in the codex rules. The honor guard do not create a retinue (lemmy rephrase this, they are a retinue for the sanguinary noviatte) for the HQ choice.

I referenced other codexs and the Retinue or Body Guard rule is specific to them. As far as I can see it is not specific to Blood Angels. But I wanted to toss the idea out there and see what people thought about it. I am making a tournament list and do not plan on running the IC with the Hon Guard, but want to use the Hon Guard unit and want to avoid this discussion when I turn my list in for review or when I deploy and the IC is not with the Hon Guard. Thanks
    Don't worry. You will be fine. Anyone who questions it is wrong. As tynskel states, the rules for retinues are mentioned nowhere in the entry for the honor guard so no worries