BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default How "petty" should we be about rules?

I played in my game store local monthly tourny yesterday and actually made it to the #1 table in the last round. There had not been any rules questions at all through out the day and the players were great, no complaining or negative attitudes. ( Setting the feel of the day)

The player across from me pretty much had the Blood Angels Razorback/Predator spam. So his army consisted of 9 tanks total. During his movement phase I noticed that he would move one tank then go ahead and try to move another and in the process would go back and move the previous one. Kinda like jockying them around like in a parking lot, making sure they had clear lines of fire and so forth. I have ran into this myself when playing alot of vehicules, there isnt enough room to move them around considering terrain, etc....

So I went back later and looked at the rules and on page 11, first paragraph it states "Once you have started moving a unit, you must finish its move before you start to move another unit. You may not go back and change the move already made by a previous unit"

I guess how petty about rules, and rules like this should a player be? I didnt get the win (placed 3rd), but I think that I really kinda let em slide a bit.

Banned

There isn't anything petty about following the rules. He was essentially cheating; violating the rules to get an advantage. Whenever I play against someone and they do something like this I just politely ask if they know that what they are doing is against the rules. Most of the time the admit that they didn't, so I show them the rule and we continue playing. Everyone leaves happy.

I came in 2nd in my LGS's last tournament because the TO decided that my Tau should play mechanized Space Wolves in a City Fight mission (some crap where troops claimed each ruin they entered, seriously unbalanced if playing against combat squadded marines) instead of a normal, random BRB mission. I know how it feels to be cheated out of a win.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsofDeath View Post
    I guess how petty about rules, and rules like this should a player be? I didnt get the win (placed 3rd), but I think that I really kinda let em slide a bit.
    People tend to do one of two things in 40k. Marginalize or freak out about rules. Both are wrong.

The game has rules. We play by the rules.

Your opponent, whether he knew it or not, was breaking the rules that govern the game. By calling people petty for telling someone like your opponent to stop moving his parking lot around does harm to the hobby as a whole.

The answer is simple. Tell him to stop doing that. Inform him of the rule in case he not familiar with it, and to play accordingly. There are no emotions or feelings attached to this.

Welcome to the tournament scene.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

I think you should politely bring it to your opponents attention.

Should your opponent retort with "It's only a game", "Don't be petty" or something similar, simply smile, nod and tell them that you totally understand how they feel, but it is the rules of the game and you would be a lot more comfortable if they would be kind enough to keep it (no going back to a previously moved unit) in mind next time.

Just keep it polite and calm.

Chapter-Master

Just whatever you do, don't say to your opponent "please do that legally". I had a guy do that to me at 'ard boyz when I made a mistake in how I was moving a unit into assault. I couldn't think of a more insulting way if implying your opponent is intentionally cheating while pretending to be polite and innocent about it.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

All good advice for sure, thanks. Rules are rules and people should follow them.
    But it kills me when the easiest rule to follow is your ruler/tape measure. It never ceases to amaze me when people do not follow correct distances... 6inches is 6inches...not 6 1/2.... And I find it hard to say something without feeling like I am splitting hairs, just like removing the tanks...its just a game....and usually Karma comes around.
    Last edited by AngelsofDeath; 03-21-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: added

First-Captain

Wat annoys me most is when person 1 has unit such as

A
    A A A
    AAAA
    AAA
    AAAAAAA

and moves the top one 6 inches forward and has unit like AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I mean seriously dude, u measure ach guy seperate not first one and move other up to him. Ive seen models move like 10" that way but not moaned as i already have a rules lawyer reputation
    For the Greater good.

Shas'o

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Just whatever you do, don't say to your opponent "please do that legally". I had a guy do that to me at 'ard boyz when I made a mistake in how I was moving a unit into assault. I couldn't think of a more insulting way if implying your opponent is intentionally cheating while pretending to be polite and innocent about it.
    The only way I know how to not piss people off is to act like I don't know and just ask "Is that how you do it? Could you show me in the book?" if they start moaning and griping I just say "I just want to know the rules and be sure." If they are still moaning about checking the rules then they are either cheaters or just butt munches either way you need not carry on with being polite and then it's time to bust heads! At least you tried.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Veteran-Sergeant

I guess when you are playing and you move a model touch it once, move it the correct distance, and do not touch it again. And as far as saying anything it might be hard to judge a reaction no matter how polite you try to be.

Veteran-Sergeant

We should follow the rules when ever possible.

It always annoys me that when my opponents would like to ignore the rules that work against them.

Why is your fun (winning) more important than my fun? If we just follow the rules as much as we can then there is very little to get annoyed at (except dice.)

Mycroft

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast