BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Shooting with Rapid Fire Weapons

I have been getting ready to come back to play 40K in competative tournaments and figured I would read over the rule book to make sure I know wtf I am talking about and I came across a small paragraph on Rapid fire weapons.

On page 28 of the rule book 4th paragraph down it says " Models that shoot with rapid fire weapons in the Shooting phase cannot assault into close combat in the ensuing Assault phase". And then in the diagram bellow that is says RAPID FIRE WEAPONS (firer may not assault)

If I am reading this correctly, I would think it means if you shoot any weapon that is considered "Rapid Fire" then you can not assault. Not that if you Rapid Fire a rapid fire weapon then you can not assualt. Maybe there is an FAQ that I missed. Any input or thought would be appreciated.

Brother-Captain

Right. You can't assault after firing any rapid-fire or heavy weapons (unless you have Relentless).

Veteran-Sergeant

Wow... I am a marine player myself and cant even begin to tell you how many times I have seen other marines fire thier bolters and then charge into assault.

Chapter-Master

Rapid fire weapons alway shoot twice if you are within 12" of the target, once out to the maximum range of the weapon, and you may not assault afterwards (normally).
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

Unless the weapon fired is a pistol or 'Assault' or the firer has the relentless special rule then you can't assault if you shoot. So rapid-fire weapons, whether you shoot one or two shots, prevent the firer from assaulting.

Librarian

Are you sure those marine players aren't firing their pistols and then charging? I think all marines come with Bolt Pistols these days.

Veteran-Sergeant

Yea I am sure they were bolters. One time the person had nilla marines with bolters, moved within 6in, shot the bolters just once, not twice and assualted.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by UltramarineFan View Post
    Unless the weapon fired is a pistol or 'Assault' or the firer has the relentless special rule then you can't assault if you shoot. So rapid-fire weapons, whether you shoot one or two shots, prevent the firer from assaulting.
    You can't fire as a pistol. You need a separate weapon that is a pistol in order to do that.

And with a rapid fire weapon, if you are within 12" you must fire twice. You can't choose to fire once. There are no separate modes of fire for rapid fire weapons. You shoot once at your full range, and you shoot twice if you are within 12".
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I'm liking all the "newbie" questions in the rules forum.

It clarifies things like this that people often play incorrectly and it means that new people are getting into this game.

Good stuff.
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    You can't fire as a pistol. You need a separate weapon that is a pistol in order to do that.

And with a rapid fire weapon, if you are within 12" you must fire twice. You can't choose to fire once. There are no separate modes of fire for rapid fire weapons. You shoot once at your full range, and you shoot twice if you are within 12".
    IIRC the vanilla marine as a bolter and a bolt pistol which any marine will know when going into Assault fire your PISTOL and not your bolter.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast