BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default cover saves and wounds

So if I got 30 Hermagants,
    about 23-25 are fully in cover
    they take a few wounds lets say 4 / fail 4 cover saves
    can I take the models off that where not actually the ones in cover?
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Librarian

Yes
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Yes, per the "Remive Casualties" rules found on page 24.

Chaplain

yeah thats what I thought. THX
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Brother-Sergeant

If I remember right they changed the way saves are taken in 5th. Basically you go down the line, for example lets say your gaunts are positioned like this. each slash is a gaunt and the dotted line is your cover. There are 11 gaunts. Lets say you need to make 11 saves for simplicity. Each gaunt would make a save if possible. Regardless of which side of the line of gaunts you start at each gaunt makes a seperate save. The ones in cover would be granted a cover save while the ones not in cover would take a normal armor save if possible. Now If out of 11 gaunts the 3 not in cover are unable to make an armor save due to AP or w/e those would be the models that would be removed. If for some reason the 3 not in cover were able to make armor saves they would use they're normal 5+ while the ones in cover would get a cover save. BUT if you started from the point on the farthest right and all gaunts were able to make armor saves lets say the first 3 on the right didn't pass a cover save but the 3 on the left passed an armor save, you would be REQUIRED to remove the first 3 on the right.

/ / / / / / / / / / /
    --------------
    ^
    thats your cover

note: the diagram flipped when I posted

Quote Originally Posted by ScrutMaster View Post
    If I remember right they changed the way saves are taken in 5th. Basically you go down the line, for example lets say your gaunts are positioned like this. each slash is a gaunt and the dotted line is your cover. There are 11 gaunts. Lets say you need to make 11 saves for simplicity. Each gaunt would make a save if possible. Regardless of which side of the line of gaunts you start at each gaunt makes a seperate save. The ones in cover would be granted a cover save while the ones not in cover would take a normal armor save if possible. Now If out of 11 gaunts the 3 not in cover are unable to make an armor save due to AP or w/e those would be the models that would be removed. If for some reason the 3 not in cover were able to make armor saves they would use they're normal 5+ while the ones in cover would get a cover save. BUT if you started from the point on the farthest right and all gaunts were able to make armor saves lets say the first 3 on the right didn't pass a cover save but the 3 on the left passed an armor save, you would be REQUIRED to remove the first 3 on the right.

/ / / / / / / / / / /
    --------------
    ^
    thats your cover

note: the diagram flipped when I posted
    Absolutely incorrect. You total up the number of wounds the squad has taken from one volley of shooting then allocate those wounds amongst the unit as evenly as possible (remainders can be allocated at will once all other models have taken an equal number of wounds). Then you take all the saves at once for all models which are the same. In the case of gaunts, if half or more of the gaunts are entitled to a cover save the entire squad may benefit and casualties may be removed from anywhere in the squad (seeing as all gaunts are the same in game terms - it's not like there's a sergeant or anything).

Hope that clears things up.
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

Brother-Sergeant

Hmm I was going on the diagram on pg25 of the rulebook, although it has been a few years sense I've played a game of 40k.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrutMaster View Post
    Hmm I was going on the diagram on pg25 of the rulebook, although it has been a few years sense I've played a game of 40k.
    Read the rules too, Blackarmchair was correct.

Strategic casualty removal can be frustrating at times, but it forces you to consider the order in which you do your shooting, which is interesting.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Lemt View Post
    Read the rules too, Blackarmchair was correct.
    Yeah I wasn't doubting that he was. I was just clarifying where I had gotten mixed up in the rules and I did go back and re-read the rules to refresh my memory.