BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Iron Father

Default New to fantasy and Orcs and Goblins

I have always just stuck with 40K, but after reading this months WD and also managing to get my hands on a copy of the new O and G army book and a box of savage orcs on Tuesday I decided to take the plunge into fantasy.

I guess starting small is the way to go and I was thinking 500pts as a starting point for an army. As I said I already have 10 savage orcs and have built them with command and extra hand weapon.

So just asking for a bit of help really, what do you guys think I should go with next for a heroe and additional core choices. Is 500pts a good start or should I be looking higher ?.

I like painting green, I like goblins so they hopefully will figure well in my finished army but other than that I'm just not sure.

Thanks in advance

500 is not bad for learning how to move things around and get the mechanics of the game down. The flow is a bit different than 40K and woe to the person who tries to use tactics that work in one when playing the other.

I'd start with a basic orc warboss/ big boss and fill in with core units to get the feel. Special and rare choices have increasingly esoteric special rules. I'd avoid the special characters until you get up to about 1500+ points.

Veteran-Sergeant

Welcome to the world of Fantasy.

O&G are one hell of a fun army to play and they also have some of everything so you can learn about all the games multitudinous aspects.

I believe O&G have a great box that contains two Orc Warbosses, one on foot and the other mounted on a boar, they are great sculpts and have lots of stuff you can use to set your characters up. A great buy. I would also suggest looking around for some 'Battle for Skull Pass' sets, they contain a lot of night goblins and ten spider riders (who I think are an invaluable unit to have), pick up some fanatics and you have a solid base to start with (including a single Troll, you might want to pick up a few more for the lonely guy at some point).
    The skull pass set also includes a Night Goblin Boss and a Night Goblin Shaman.

If you can no find the BfSP, or are not interested in Night Goblins then you would want to fill out that Savage orc unit to around 30 boyz, (you'll want to fill them out eventually as your points level progresses) and get some spear chuckas, lobbas, or Doom Divahs, to help keep the pressure off the Savages. In the end you can't go wrong with mobs of Boyz and some Big 'Uns.

I will be getting the new O&G book soon myself so I can help you out with more specifics when I've had a proper read of it.

As for starting at 500, that is, as Albavar has said, a good points level to begin at.

hey, at 500 points Id prolly be going for a Gobbo list, Skull Pass would be a great buy for you!

First-Captain

Well for 500 point I would do a goblin force to maximise efficiency of points. Cheap hordes which can bog down units to death.
    Not to blow my own trumpet but i do have a force for sale on this site if ur willing to have a look. might help u a bit
    For the Greater good.

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Well for 500 point I would do a goblin force to maximise efficiency of points. Cheap hordes which can bog down units to death.
    Not to blow my own trumpet but i do have a force for sale on this site if ur willing to have a look. might help u a bit
    Is it painted ?

First-Captain

some yes. mostly no, just sprayed mostly, check its in the any one interested in o&g thread.
    For the Greater good.

Veteran-Sergeant

for what its worth I will say its a good collection of stuff. If only I hadn't decided to 'finish up' my skaven and lizardmen armies just before he put it up it would have been sold by now.

First-Captain

ur scaven can wait
    For the Greater good.

Chaplain

What I wanna know is: How'd he get this stuff before release day?
    You think running with scissors is dangerous? Try sky diving with them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast