BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eldritch storm

Default eldritch storm

can anyone give me some answers for all the faqs for this power since gw kindly left it out of theirs.

1.does it scatter like all other blast weapons? or does the codex before rulebook thingie take precedence and it can be placed without deviation.

2.stupid question I know, but a fellow player keeps bringing it up. does it affect non vehicle units? I know it has a strength value and the pinning rule, so you would think that it does, but it does not mention specifically what happens to non vehicle units that are hit.

Appreciate any help on clarification...

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by dvs1 View Post
    c

1.does it scatter like all other blast weapons? or does the codex before rulebook thingie take precedence and it can be placed without deviation.

2.stupid question I know, but a fellow player keeps bringing it up. does it affect non vehicle units? I know it has a strength value and the pinning rule, so you would think that it does, but it does not mention specifically what happens to non vehicle units that are hit.

The scatter question is everyones favourite bug bear. As an Eldar player I would love to say "of course it doesn't" Unfortunately my reading of the rules persuades me that it does . And I believe that the rules are absolutely clear on this.

The main rules state that (paraphrasing as I don't take the rules to work) "You place a blast marker and then dice for scatter". The Eldritch Storm rule states "You place a blast marker", then it ends. Some people love to read into this that the Codex does not say "dice for scatter" and that this means the codex overules. This is wishful thinking. For the Codex to overide it would have to say " and do not dice for scatter". Since it has no wording to override the main rule book, the rule book applies.

Does Eldritch Storm apply against vehicles? The Codex says it does, so the answer is yes.

Librarian

In 4th ed It did not scatter...In 5th it does.
    It also effects Non-vehicles units...seeing as you can't pin a vehicle.

Chaplain

I once killed 11 Deamonettes with one Eldritch Storm. Good times.
    Opinions are like aresholes. Get yours outta my face.. MindWar FTW. Bald and Screaming. Couple others...;) Learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by Alqualonde View Post
    The main rules state that (paraphrasing as I don't take the rules to work) "You place a blast marker and then dice for scatter". The Eldritch Storm rule states "You place a blast marker", then it ends. Some people love to read into this that the Codex does not say "dice for scatter" and that this means the codex overules. This is wishful thinking. For the Codex to overide it would have to say " and do not dice for scatter". Since it has no wording to override the main rule book, the rule book applies.
    Not trying to be contrary here, Alqualonde, since I've never heard of this particular controversy before, but what do you make of the FAQ statement that Eldritch Storm, Destructor, and Mind War "include a few exceptions to the normal shooting rules, as specified in their description?" Destructor clearly doesn't include any exceptions, but Destructor explicitly says it is resolved as a normal shooting attack, whereas Mind War and Eldritch Storm don't.

Chaplain

That bit was from the 4th Ed FAQ, it just hasn't been edited. In 4th, Storm didn't Scatter, which was an exception. Mind War ignores targetting, although I can't recall what exactly Destructor changed. Possibly just lazy FAQ writing, we know they don't really care about them (*looks at continued lack of new IG FAQ...*)
    Opinions are like aresholes. Get yours outta my face.. MindWar FTW. Bald and Screaming. Couple others...;) Learn something.

Wait ... Eldritch Storm isn't an ordnance weapon, so in 4th, it wouldn't scatter because of the way blast weapons worked. The exception would be that you wouldn't roll to hit, because nothing in the codex says you did, despite the fact that rolling to hit for blast weapons was standard rulebook procedure in 4th. So the 4th reading seems to me to have been "do only what the codex says and no more," essentially.

It seems to me that, applying the same reasoning to 5th, Storm wouldn't scatter?

Chaplain

Oh yeah. I didn't play 4th much. Codex only > BRB if it specifically excludes the BRB's basic rules - not saying it doesn't scatter means it does.

Hmmm ... not sure I find that persuasive, but I'm not sure this is the right thread to get into it. Thanks for explaining your reading, though.

Librarian

All pychic shooting attacks use the general shooting rules unless there is a specific exception.
    In this case ES is treated as a blast weapon, which means it does scatter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast