BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chaos Space Marine Predators...

Just got some vehicle upgrade sprues in the mail today. My original intention was to chop the weapons up and use them for oblit conversions, but I'm actually tempted to instead magnatize them and slap 'em on a rhino chasis for a predator. I'm not entirely sure whats a viable (ie: competetive) load out for a CSM Predator though...

Suggestions please?
    Check it: http://hotschnitzel.blogspot.com/

Librarian

I think a reasonable loadout is an autocannon and las sponsons (for cost vs. firepower).
    But chaos has a lot of different options.
    Heavy bolter sponsons and a havoc launcher would be great for anti-infantry.

Battle-Brother

I use a Pred with Autocannon turret, Heavy Bolter sponsons and a Havoc Launcher. It's cheap, the firepower against medium or worse armored infantry is great. Only drawback is the lack of maneuvrability, since Heavy Bolters and Havoc aren't defensive weapons anymore. But it's still a very versatile choice, even against MEQ armies you seldom run out of Targets (Rhinos, Scouts, and even Terminators are a nice target).

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Ulf View Post
    I use a Pred with Autocannon turret, Heavy Bolter sponsons and a Havoc Launcher. It's cheap, the firepower against medium or worse armored infantry is great. Only drawback is the lack of maneuvrability, since Heavy Bolters and Havoc aren't defensive weapons anymore. But it's still a very versatile choice, even against MEQ armies you seldom run out of Targets (Rhinos, Scouts, and even Terminators are a nice target).
    Oh, does it say in the Codex that the Havoc Missile Launcher is an offensive weapon, 'cause it's Strength is low enough to make it defensive otherwise.

So far the best Predator configuration I've seen is an autocannon turret with a pair of lascannon sponsons. Transports are extremely prevalent in this edition and a Predator equipped in this way happens to excel at busting just about every transport in the game. Rhinos, Chimeras, Wave Serpents and the like just fall down and even Land Raiders need to be wary of a lucky shot from a lascannon. Unfortunately las sponsons aren't cheap, but then restricting your opponent's mobility is pretty important, so it only makes sense that you pay a premium for 'em.

Havoc launchers are str5 and therefore not defensive weapons.

I like predator destructors in SM armies, but I'm not wild about them in Chaos lists. Chaos seems like a more aggressive archtype and I think the defiler or oblits suit most Chaos builds better. However if one was building a very shooty Chaos list you could do worse than preds (havocs, anyone?).

i think the best build for a chaos predator is auto cannon sponson las. its cheap and effective.

Scout

Just magnetize the predator so you can have any of the options you want.

Really depends on what role you want it to fill. If your shooting for strong anti-tank, las cannons all around (pricy though). If your looking anti-infantry, hvy bolters and autocannon with havoc. Though for cheap anti-tank, I have to say I prefer the auto-cannon las sponsons.

But honestly, magnets are probably the best way to go if your not sure.

i usually use a chaos pred with autocannon, hb sponsons, and havoc launcher with a 10 man noise marine squad w/ sonic blasters and blastmaster
    this should destroy light infantry and does well against heavy infantry. the only problem it has is with termies or heavy tanks

I used my preadtor just with a lascannon as a tankhunter as my usual enemy played with many vehicles. It is a cheap and mobile lascannon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast