BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Librarian versus Master of the Forge

Hey all,
    was hoping to get some peoples thoughts for an upcoming tournament..
    I am playing Crimson Fist's and will definitely be bringing Pedro (thematic more than anything) with 5 honor guard, but i was also planning on bringing a master of the forge on a bike with a conversion beamer. Was originally thinking of keeping him as far away from everything and hoping for the higher strength range shots... but i am also running 7 Assault termies in crusader and keep thinking that a librarian attached to them would be perhaps better. Would probably take Null Zone and either the avenger or MOTA. Both have there neg/pos but would really love to get some more input and maybe tactics (I honestly havent used either of these models much in all my 40k experience)
    Thanks ahead of time!
    Last edited by PedroKantor; 01-18-2011 at 06:56 PM.

defo the libby.

the conversion beamer is basically nothing more than an orky plasmacannon that will make you more problems to get into position than it is worth.

take a librarian with nullzone and gate to boost your terminators tenfold!

gate should be your 2nd psychic power simply because it gives the termis so much more mobility if it is needed and worth the risk!

Chapter-Master

personally, I believe a Chappy will be more useful for your terminators.

it is difficult to make a decision based upon 'pedro, crusader, and 7 terminators'. What's the rest of the list?

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    it is difficult to make a decision based upon 'pedro, crusader, and 7 terminators'. What's the rest of the list?
    Here we go... So really not the most competitive player.. but truly enjoy the game and have been playing in tournaments for a long time(usually in the 30-50%, totally fine with that). I usually like thematic list's or at uniquely modeled armies, so for this list i was going to add a bunch of Crimson Fist mechanicus elements to make up for the losses on Rynns world...

Pedro with
    5x honor guard 3x relic blades
    HB razorback

Master of the Forge Bike, Conversion Beamer

6x (Mechanicus) Sternguard 3x combi meltas
    HB razorback

7 Assault Termies 4xTH/SS Landraider Crusader Multagun

2 Ten man tact squads, melta, missile, powerfist, rhino

Landspeeder HB / Melta

Thunderfire Cannon

You can see some of the conversions [URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=12310&highlight=mechanicus"]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=12310&highlight=mechanicus[/URL]

Honestly, not the hardest hitting list...

Chapter-Master

I like what you have. Yes, the list isn't the 'hardest hitting', however, it can hit really hard with the right moving. The Honour Guard and the Terminators will crush just about anything they encounter.

Instead of the Master of the Forge...
    Have you thought about adding korsorro kahn to your list?
    This will 1) open up tactical options: You can decide to switch between Pedro's Chapter Tactics, for Kahn's Chapter Tactics. You decide after missions have been picked but before anyone has deployed. This can switch your army from stubborn and claiming with Sternguard to everyone outflanking.

Second, you can drop one Sternguard, one honor guard, and the MotF (215 points) for Korsorro (160). The extra can be spent in a variety of ways. What this gives you, however, more flexibility: Khan + Pedro in the Land Raider, Pedro + Khan with Honor Guard, or one 'n one in each vehicle.

Don't underestimate having Khan with Sternguard-- They can be charged, but with khan's hit n' run, they can get out n' shoot again--- even if they lose combat, because they'll be Ld 10 Stubborn-- they will pass, then just hop outta combat.

Just some ideas.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 01-18-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    The Honour Guard and the Terminators will crush just about anything they encounter.
    Totally agree here.. especially with the Honour Guard (bad spelling earlier) they chew through so much with pedro's extra attack

Instead of the Master of the Forge...
    Have you thought about adding korsorro kahn to your list?
    This will 1) open up tactical options: You can decide to switch between Pedro's Chapter Tactics, for Kahn's Chapter Tactics. You decide after missions have been picked but before anyone has deployed. This can switch your army from stubborn and claiming with Sternguard to everyone outflanking.

Second, you can drop one Sternguard, one honor guard, and the MotF (215 points) for Korsorro (160). The extra can be spent in a variety of ways. What this gives you, however, more flexibility: Khan + Pedro in the Land Raider, Pedro + Khan with Honor Guard, or one 'n one in each vehicle.

Don't underestimate having Khan with Sternguard-- They can be charged, but with khan's hit n' run, they can get out n' shoot again--- even if they lose combat, because they'll be Ld 10 Stubborn-- they will pass, then just hop outta combat.

Just some ideas.
    Wow, never played with Khan before.. that definitely opens up some more options, off to reread my codex now and perhaps rework my list. will post again, when i have another one i like.
    Thanks guys!!!

Veteran-Sergeant

Alright, made a couple changes, unfortunately i will not be able to play test... but losing the mechanicus theme in favor of adding khan..

Pedro with
    5x honor guard 3x relic blades
    Rhino

Kor'sarro Khan

9x (Mechanicus) Sternguard 4x combi meltas
    Rhino

7 Assault Termies 4xTH/SS Landraider Crusader Multagun

2 Ten man tact squads, melta, missile, powerfist, rhino

Landspeeder 2x HB/HB HB

i like as depending on whom i am playing i can switch both HQ into either the Sternguard,Assault Termies, or Honour Guard..