BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to paint strip a large mode/tank?

I just found my first ever large model, a falcon grav tank from when they were first released by GW ages ago. Anyway, the paint job is rather poor by my current standards and I'm thinking I will redo it, but I'm not sure how to strip a model which sits 75% out of the simply green tank. I'm not particularly keen on filling a bucket with the stuff as i think it would be wasteful.

How do you strip a tank?

P.S. I would ask my brothers but they are all sleep, insomnia gets annoying after a few days.
    Last edited by eldargal; 08-28-2009 at 10:13 PM.

Chaplain

You could try the half/half method if you don't wish to fully immerse the model.

Sit it in the stuff long enough for it to go to work, remove, scrub and then place it hback in so that the other side/part is immersed.
    Rinse and repeat. May take a bit longer, but simple green isn't supposed to damage plastic, so shouldn't work too badly.

Me, I use brake fluid to strip stuff. Disposal is equally easy. Take it back to the store where I got it from and pour it into their waste drum (auto-parts store 2 blocks away).

Chaplain

DONT use nail polish remover cos my mates ma did that for him and ruined his battlesuit

Try a product called Purple Power. Someone at my local hobby store recommended it to me after seeing how fast I was burning through my stock of simple green. Its a much more concentrated solution (though the smell is much more tolerable) so watering it down will yield a stronger bath. Hope this helps ^_^

PS I think its actually cheaper than simple green as well.

Purple Power works. Also Superclean. Superclean is a little more expensive but works faster. I used it to strip a Land Raider with no damage to the plastic.

If you can't submerge the whole tank, just take a large brush and paint it on straight. Wait a while and paint some more on until it starts to bubble up.

Battle-Brother

In england you can spray the model with an aggressive cleaning product like Fairy Powerspray

Scout

I use Acetone-FREE Nailpolish remover. Wont eat plastic, one bottle should do it with a small container to put the model in then pour in the Acetone-FREE nail polish remover... Use one of your brothers tooth brushes to get the cracks clean. Wear some glasses or something as you don't want that stuff getting in your eyes. Whatever you do, don't use regular nail polish remover as acetone eats plastic - bad m'kay?

Oh and replace the tooth brush when done, just scrape the loose paint off...

for large models I like to use rubbing alcohol. Its fairly cheap and it works rather well. You can fill a large bucket and not feel like you are wasting alot of money. You do have to let it sit a little longer than other products, and some times it takes more than one bath, but its a trade off.....price v work....hope that helps!

Battle-Brother

I find that simple green works the best. Leave it in for a few days and the fumes should help get part of the tank that isn't in the simple green. Do what a few others have said and that is to paint part of the model with simple green; letting it sit on top. After it's sat for a while, take a toothbrush to it. Repeat this until you get mostly to the plastic.

Good luck.

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Dave38x View Post
    In england you can spray the model with an aggressive cleaning product like Fairy Powerspray
    Just this weekend I tried Fairy on an old Leman Russ. It was not a success. For smaller models that you can submerge, fairy is my first choice but I am at a loss as to what to use for bigger units that you cant submerge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast