BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default The most riduculous out comes of a close combat?

Right I just wanted to hear from you guys, what has been the most strangest and unlikely outcome of a combat you've played.

For me it would have to be when a a unit of guardsmen and their commisar deployed from their vendetta 9 of the guardsmen got killed by a heavy flamer, the last one was gunned down by a bolt pistol. Right now here's the fun part, the remaining commisar charged a devastator squad which had only 2 men remaining, the commisar had a powerfist and was down to 2 wounds, the devastators hit both of their attacks, wounded both and he failed both his saves, we were all speechless really. It actually lost him the game in the end, poor guy.

What about you guys then? What ridiculous combats have you played?

Librarian

Single TH/SS terminator against an unwounded Tzeentchian daemon prince with warptime who had the charge. Prince managed to achieve nothing at all through a combination of bad rolls and a couple of saves, termie hit back wounded twice, prince failed both saves to lose combat by two, he then promptly failed both his "I'm not scared of you" saves and died! Pretty much won me the game!
    Cats and Dogs are better than kids because they eat less, don't ask for money and if they get pregnant you can sell their children.

Brother-Sergeant

For me it has to br when i charged 40 orks, 10 grechin and a warboss into a 50 man guard platoon. I won the combat by about 25 casulties, but as the comissar amde them stubborn they did not flee. Next round the remaining ( about 20) guardsmen managed to win the close combat by killing my warboss and a the of grechin. boyz1= take 7 wounds from fearless, boyz= take 8 wounds from fearless. Next turn the imperial guard wipe out the orks! I couldun´t support the combat so lost due to it.

I was at the receiving end of having a 10 man Blood Angels assault squad charge a 10 man basic Imperial Guard squad. Eventually the Blood Angels won-5 close combat rounds later! Combination bad to-hit roles, bad wound roles, and the ilk caused most of combat to become a war of attrition, only ending when the Blood Angel sarg (the last member of his squad) finally beat my last 2 guardsmen.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Had one Lictor charge a Librarian (with Familiaris, it was during 4th Ed) doing not a single wound. Librarian strikes back, no wounds. Familiaris hits and wounds and I fail my save, 2nd CC-round, Lictor misses or fails to wound. Librarian misses and then the Familiaris hits and wounds. Me fails second save and down the lictor goes to a WS3, ST3, 1 A-familiaris.

That Lictor was NOT my MVP for that game....

Librarian

1 chaos lord leaps into combat with 13 conscripts, doesnt even kill 1, then promtly dies at failing to save the only 3 wounds that got through. hilarious

that game was doubly hilarious because those 13 conscripts actually went on to kill another 5 man squad of berzerkers through a combination of FRSRF and assault, and 7 actually survived to the end of the game, unbelievable, compared to the other 2 games i used them in where they all died before turn 2
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

I've got two possibles:

1. Vul'kan He'stan promptly charges into combat against a tac squad of marines with his TH/SH retinue. Opposing marines kill 4 of the 5 termies on the first round of combat and Vulkan takes 2 wounds. What?! I kill 3 of them. Next round, Vulkan hits on all of his attacks, kills 3 more. They get charged by a squad of assault marines led by a chaplain. Vulkan is now the only survivor. Two turns later, Vulkan has cleared both squads after making numerous Invuln saves.

2. Salamanders Librarian gets attack bonus from warp power (4e). Charges into Dante and a 5 man retinue of Death Co (I'm already losing bad at this point, so I no longer care). On charge, due to d6 roll, Libby getting 7 attacks. Libby hits with ALL 7, kills all 5 Death Co and Dante fails both saves, boom, dead. My buddy whom I was playing against nearly punched me.

Brother-Sergeant

I had an aspiring champion with a powerfist that killed a space marine veteran jump squad and got out if it alive but thats really the only notable confrontation i can remember
    CHAOS IS STRONG

Veteran-Sergeant

This is from back in 4th edition:

IG vs. Space Marines. My Platoon Commander gets charged by a Librarian. Librarian causes 5 wounds to poor little Platoon Commander. Since my commander has a refractor field he needs to make 5 invulnerable saves. I proceed to drop five dice and each one is a 5, no 6's, all fives. My IG commander then swings away at the Librarian and manages to cause two wounds with his powers word. Guess what, the Librarian has no invulnerable save and dies. The Poor Little IG commander was forever known as Lt. Hero after that.

Dosadi
    "They created a desolation and they called it peace!" -- Tacitus

Librarian

i just remembered a couple from 3rd edition, my old Senior commander "Captain Komazi" leaps into combat with 3 killa kans, and destroys 2 hahaha

and in another game, the same guy kills a furoso dreadnought in combat. he was an utter legend.

mind you in both these cases we would have been using our house rules of "pistol strengths used in combat for pistol attacks" and his plasma pistol str of 7 would have greatly helped. after these 2 events we had to review whether the house rule was unbalancing the game, and in the end we decided to bump up pistol costs from the armoury to compensate.
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast