BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Your 40K army

Default Your 40K army

Simple thread, open concept.

What army do you play and why.
    Also, if you have more than 1 army, why have more than 1 army and which do you love most.

I have [URL="http://warhammer-tau-army.blogspot.com/"]Tau[/URL] and Space Wolves.
    I was hooked by the aesthetics of the Tau army as it reminded me of Robotech and playing Turrican as a kid.
    My Tau are my main army, even if my Space Wolves are bigger. I got my Space Wolves for those days when you don't want to think so much, but would rather tear things apart.

How about you guys?
    Last edited by Darkseer; 07-30-2009 at 12:12 AM.

I currently play IG. I really like the mobility that the IG has in the codex. Although, still not as mobile as some armies, they are no longer hampered by the stand and shoot tatics of 3rd Ed.

In the past, I have played IG, Space Wolves(I can't wait for the new codex), Orks, and Codex SMs.

I've got a Blood Angels army, Bad Moon ork army, Fire Angels army and a hive fleet poo poo tyranid army.

to start i dont like tyranid, not that the models dont look great but its the fluff, i dont like the part of mindless animals. its very one sided with them.

as i pointed out i like to plot out the story even if it does not matter in the game, i like naming important characters and rewarding models that do good in certain games.
    My blood angels are my favorite but as i work with these orks i am falling in love.

and me too, i cant wait for the Space wolves codex!!

Sounds like a fun thread, Darkseer! When I got "active" in the hobby, I started acquiring armies as fast I could find them. When my free time dried up, I promised myself (and the dragon lady) that I would divest myself of the armies I don't play (I've sold 4 armies and I'm working to sell 4 more), so I'll only list the armies that I can't seem to part with.

1. Relictors -- This is probably my favorite army; it's nicely painted and really huge. Although no army is complete (and I have tons of stuff I want to add), this one sits at about 10,000 points -- it gives me the variety of units I need to make my trademark "crazy lists", lol. Lots of character and options for play -- and the Relictors fluff is as good as it gets in 40K.

2. Imperial Guard -- My Cadian army is a close second (also a gorgeous army). It also sits around 10,000 points. I have about 20 tanks (including some super heavies) which seems to keep me from playing the army as much as I'd like. I really enjoyed exploring the background of the army during the Macharian Crusade (there's a page dedicated to my Cadian XX in the book). I'm also looking forward to trying out the Cadian "Ten-Tens" as a defender in Planetstrike (as soon as I can find an opponent).

3. Blood Angels -- This army is just a blast to play. I can field around 50 jump packs with some decent (and gorgeous) special characters. I keep talking about selling this army, but there's something primal and extremely cool when you see that sea of red power armor on the table.

4. Inquisition -- I really love the forces of the Inquisition and I think I can field everything in both the WH and DH codices (including Inducted Guard and Allied Space Marines). These armies aren't quite to the same level of quality as my other armies, but they are tons of fun to play. I really like having OPTIONS during a game and the Inquisition gives you lots of options, especially Faith. Since the new IG codex came out, I'm having a particularly good time with Orders and Faith in the same army.

5. Chaos Daemons -- This was the last army I put together before taking my break from the game, painted by our own Gentle Ben (they are gorgeous). I had fun playing the army and I look forward to seeing how they work in large games (in particular Planetstrike).

6. Emperor's Children -- Although a little two-dimensional, my EC army was a lot of fun to play (and the pink army really jumps out at you on the table). I've added a few models (bikes, oblits, spawn, etc.) but it really needs a big expansion to be a viable army outside of Apocalypse.

7. Ultramarines -- This is the best looking 40K army I've ever seen, but it's really small and I've been unable to match the colors and paint style with other commissions. I most often use it as an Allied Space Marine army, but I'm quickly shifting toward the "just sell it and expand your other armies" frame of mind.

8.Tyranids -- I have an monstrous Hive Fleet Behemoth army (by far, the best army ever painted by Blue Table). I had it painted as the companion to my Captain Invictus Ultramarine army because I love the Battle of Macragge stuff. I used the army a lot for tournaments (even going to the point of adding another half dozen TMCs to an already packed army).
    Last edited by mkerr; 07-29-2009 at 04:33 PM.
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

Veteran-Sergeant

My first army was Eldar way back in Rogue Trader. I still collect, paint and play them today. I love the background of a dying race whose best years are thousands of years in the past. I love the Jes Goodwin designs and I love how the army plays on the battlefield; small elite forces of deadly warriors whose synergy is what makes them so powerful. I like the idea of having an army that's older than most players at my local store. Right now it sits at over 10,000 points painted.

My second army is Orks. I love the models and the insane fluff from second edition. It’s a great army for going nuts with conversions and being creative with. It’s also the best army to play when you are drunk. Yelling and rolling handfuls of dice is made for win. I've got about 4000pts. painted and so many more un-painted or un-assembled.

I've also got a sizable Space Marine army, but don't play with it anymore.

I made a Cadian army when the 3rd edition Guard codex came out, but sold it a few years ago. I kinda regret selling it with the awesome new codex released recently.

Last Year I started a Chaos Marine army. Red Corsairs! I love the versatility of the codex and the simple fact that IMO Chaos Marines are the best troop type in the game. Pound for pound, nothing can touch a chaos marine. I love the background of the Red Corsairs and the Badab War. I’ve recently put together a codex space marine army of terminators and scouts that will be painted up in Red Corsair colours. The plan is to combine the two armies for games of Apocalypse.

I also have a small IG army with Ordo Hereticus allies. A Black Ops style strike force. This has allowed me to delve deep into my bitz box as much of the troops are made up of old Necromunda, metal guard and RT era models. I’m still working out the kinks in this army.

Dosadi
    "They created a desolation and they called it peace!" -- Tacitus

Woah, some of you guys have a lot of stuff!

I got into the habit of selling off armies a few years back when I probably should have stuck with them. But then, they all needed a lot of work to fit into the new codex or new edition of 40K.

I am a self-proclaimed treadhead, and so obviously the new guard codex provides me with a method to let fly with my obsession. I wuv them, and with 9 battletanks and 3 IFVs it is scary to see, even if a little hampered by my own tactical ineptitude.
    Last edited by Paul; 07-29-2009 at 05:32 PM.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseer View Post
    Woah, some of you guys have a lot of stuff!

I got into the habit of selling off armies a few years back when I probably should have stuck with them. But then, they all needed a lot of work to fit into the new codex or new edition of 40K.
    Selling extras is a habit I have yet to get into, but probably should. For 40k I have the following armies:

- I am currently in the third iteration of my Dark Angels army, which is playable as battle company, Deathwing, or any mix with scouts/armory/techmarines. My Ravenwing portion is fully assembled, but painting has yet to begin. Everything else, more or less, is at least painted to tabletop standards.

- I have 500 points of Executioners painted to a tabletop standard, veteran of six skirmishes already. Still need some finish work.

- Even if I run my Executioners up to 2000 points and completely flesh out my Dark Angels, I have more than enough marine bits and strippable eBay lots to form the core of two armies. One is going to be a gunline-centric force based entirely on 2nd Edition marines. The other will be scout- and assault-centric, and have considered Wolves, Crimson Fists, Howling Griffons (so someone else can play against my Executioners for the Badab book), Fleshtearers, and White Panthers.

- I also have about a hundred Rogue Trader-era Imperial Guard still on sprue, and a wide assortment of Chaos Marauder bits. This will eventually form my Traitor Guard army.

- Finally, I have a wide assortment of Orks, ranging anywhere from fully painted to still on sprues, Rogue Trader to Gorkamorka to Black Reach. I'm probably going to split them into two armies; the RT-era mess will be redone as Bad Moons, while the modern Gorkamorka/Black Reach orks will become Evil Sunz.

And that doesn't even TOUCH my Epic collection.

Battle-Brother

I play Space Wolves, Daemons, and Chaos Marines.

I've played CSM since 2nd ed, SW since 4th, and Daemons since they came out.

I try to play armies that have differing styles to them, and in that vein hope to start up some guard in the future.

I have Eldar, Chaos Demons, Pre-Heresy Alpha Legion, Imperial Guard, Lamenters, and my now antiquated Lost and the Damned.

Currently my Lamenters are my favorites, but my Demons are a close second due to their entertaining play style.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast