BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant

Default BL Sigvald book a rehash of Darkblade?

Read the precis of the book here:

[url]http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/coming-soon/Sigvald.html[/url]

now tell me that's not all terribly familiar to books 1 & 2 of the Mallus Darkblade series.

Librarian

The problem is that there are only so many general outlines for Fantasy stories, so they will all start to seem similar on some level.

The "find a magical artifact (often cursed) to gain lots of power, but must deal with other forces trying to get it (and often traitors within your own group) ending with a major conflict," is in pretty much just every fantasy story ever told.
    I mean, these are all just The Lord of the Rings, but from Boromir's point of view!

The Gotrek a Felix novels are really just one book told over and over again with a different enemy and usually only within two settings (the wilderness or near a bar); but they have enough internal differences that it doesn't feel like the same book repeated.
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

Brother-Sergeant

Excellent point -- i was reading the Wikipedia entry for Terry Brooks and the Shanara series -- and most of the critical reviews attacked it for being a Tolkien rehash ... apparently it took Frank Herbert's review to actually point out that the TELLING of the story matters a lot too.

i never really thoght about that but u r so right about grotex and felix, with the exception of the one in the chaos waste. speaking of g&f any ideas when the next onibus is going to come out

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by urzoon View Post
    speaking of g&f any ideas when the next onibus is going to come out
    Well, they release them as a bound set of three; and remove those books from individual purchase.
    We now have Elf, Shaman and Zombie as individuals.

I'd say shortly after book 13, maybe 14 comes out, 10-12 will be put together.
    Maybe in a year, no more then two.
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.