BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Yes you can fire everything on the ravager when its ds'ing, im not overly fond of ds'ing DE as you can't assault the turn you arrive and the only units I want close to the enemy are my combat units which tend to have a great weakness to shooting attacks.... let alone rapidfire.

I'm thinking of it in a different way.

If I've got 1st turn I'm setting up my gun line and blowing away there tanks as fast as I can.

But if I have 2nd turn I would be reserving my forces and DS'ing my stuff in.

It's ok if they kill your raider with rapid fireing bolters after, because you've killed there Rhino.
    Last edited by Lockark; 10-18-2010 at 07:48 AM.

Its not the raider im worried about getting rapid fired... its the unit in it.

Plus there is no garuntee that you'll get what you want from reserves.... i've had games with 4-5 units in reserve and none of them hitting the table until turn 5... things didn't go well.

I try to play in such a way that luck has a minimal effect on my stragety, that way, good or bad, im still in with a fighting chance.

Then what Would you do if you had to go 2nd? Even Heavy Bolters pen your transports on 6's. Most marine armies I've seen stock up on Missile Launchers, and Guard stock up on a ungodly amount of Autocanons/Lascannons.

At least do to the "metagame" of the store I go to, going 2nd and deploying on the board dose not seem like a viable option in the least.

The way I see it is you can't bother playing dark eldar conservatively. You have to go balls to the wall.

Go ahead and deep strike your Radier's in area terriean. Who cares if you end up imbolizeing it in the process? If it gets destroyed it's alright because now the guys inside are in area terriean.

If that works for you, then great... but the people I play against know how best to priotise the targets and ensure that the units I do get down are wiped out the turn they arrive... so my raider gets a single shot off... odds are thats not going to do anything and in return I loose the raider and the wych squad in it.

And you may want to go back and read the rules... if you want to ds your raiders into terrain you'll be taking a mishap test, and none of the results are good for you.

As for me 'not bothering to play DE conservatively'... I don't know if you've noticed, but they are not exactly a conservative army... you cannot play DE like you would any other army and expect to do well.

I play my DE in ways that cover their weaknesses and maximise their strengths.. the rest is up to the dice gods.

As for going second, simple, my opponent sets up first, I set up so that my transports are out of the line of fire as much as possible. This is nothing but simple deployment tactics, anyone who's been playing for a while will tell you that setting up any vehicle in direct line of fire of your opponents heavy weapons is a bad idea.

And you may want to go back and read the rules... if you want to ds your raiders into terrain you'll be taking a mishap test, and none of the results are good for you.

It's not a mishap into area, it's a Dangerous Terriean Check. It's a mishap if there in impassible or if there is no room for the modle/unit.

To quote exactly:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pg.95
    If any of the models in a deep striking unit can not be deployed because they would land off the table, in impassable terrain, on top of a friendly model, or on top or within 1" of a enemy model. The controlling player must roll on the mishap chart.
    Quote Originally Posted by PG.95
    Modles arriving via deep strike treat all difficult terrain as dangerous terrain.
    So yah. Maby you should take your own suggestion and read the rules your self.

As for going second, simple, my opponent sets up first, I set up so that my transports are out of the line of fire as much as possible. This is nothing but simple deployment tactics, anyone who's been playing for a while will tell you that setting up any vehicle in direct line of fire of your opponents heavy weapons is a bad idea.
    Yah. Because that will help you ageist IG andRazorback spam. They just have to spread there army out and you'll be hard pressed to find a place to deploy thows transports any wear to not be shot.

It sounds like your banking on your opponents not knowing how to deploy there armies.
    Last edited by Lockark; 10-18-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lockark View Post
    Yah. Because that will help you ageist IG andRazorback spam. They just have to spread there army out and you'll be hard pressed to find a place to deploy thows transports any wear to not be shot.
    Which is the absolute WORST thing you can do against a Dark Eldar player. If you spread out your army, the DE player Deploys in a single flank, and envelops your army.

I've been playing DE for years, and this is the biggest mistake I always hope my opponents do during deployment.

I've played for over 18 years... I know how to set up my army to survive.

Just because you fail to get first turn doesn't mean you will auto-loose.

And for the record I am banking on nothing but my own repitoire of tactics.

I've played for over 18 years... I know how to set up my army to survive.

Just because you fail to get first turn doesn't mean you will auto-loose.

And for the record I am banking on nothing but my own repitoire of tactics.

I realy don't care if you've been playing for the last 18 years. That's just your claim, and I just showed you didn't even know how the mishap rules properly worked in 5th ed untill today.

No one can know EVERYTHING. I'm not saying your tactics are wrong. But one thing we both need to accept is that the terriean were we play can wildly effect what tactics are viable.

Your tactics may work on a table with lots of LOS blocking terriean.

But there kinda useless to me. Since I need tactics that take advantage of abundant Area Terriean/ruins.

I'm personally quite happy to hear the tactics and strategies you use with your dakr eldar, they will be things I keep in mind when I start this army up.

But they will not always be viable for me, do to the fact the boards I play on will not always have large amounts of LOS blocking terriean.

I personal think I will be taking the Duke in every army list I build, for the option of deep striking alone. (The other bonuses he gives just the iceing on the cake.)
    Last edited by Lockark; 10-18-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122