BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default help for a new guy

Hey i'm gettin into warhammer and just want to know what people would suggest for a first army, first things to do/buy and stuff like that

I have done some research and worked out i want to do a mainly assault army but not orks or necrons because i just don't like the way they look but i don't mind any other army

any advice will be taking into consideration

Veteran-Sergeant

Marines, just about everyone starts with them. For a assault version maybe consider Chaos.
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. Armed Forces don't have that problem. R Regan

Veteran-Sergeant

Depends what army your after but I would suggest get a HQ choice model and 2 troops choices

If your after Eldar i would say

Buy a seer council (1 Farseer and some Warlocks) and a box of dire avengers and a box of Guardians

Thats a good way to start and allows you to start playing

After that i would suggest some striking scoprions and howling banshees with a wave serpent

Veteran-Sergeant

Majorcrash is also correct. Chaos Space Marines are one of the best troops choices in the game.

They are space marines but better.

Plague marines for example are tougher, get an extra attack and have feel no pain which effectively allows them to reroll a save

Librarian

If you're looking for an assault biased army then (and this is purely my opinion) you're looking at
    Tyranids
    Dark Eldar
    Black Templars, Blood Angels or Space Wolves (although I'd wait for the new codex if you're tempted by space vikings, erm, wolves)
    Chaos Space Marines

I don't include the middle ground forces like vanilla Space Marines or Eldar as they're not primarily assault armies and I've left out the blatantly shooty forces like Tau or Imperial Guard.

I'd take that list of armies and look through the background and models for each force and see what you like the idea of, the best army in game may not be something you like (orks are pretty effective but if you're not a fan then you're never going to stick with them). Once you're down to one or two armies you really like buy, beg, borrow or steal the codexes and have a read through, maybe watch a few games or ask to borrow armies from friends if either of those are an option?

In your position my personal preference would be one of the marine variants or CSMs as they're going to be a little more forgiving for a new player plus they can do things other than assault if you want them to, tyranids are a little too one dimensional for my taste I'd stay away from Dark Eldar as a new player, the codex and the models are old and there have been rumours of an update for years but it's all personal choice, they're a good if hard to master army and you may really like them. Likewise the newer forces in there like the wolves may be amazing in game but if you're not a fan of the background or model style then they're probably not for you.

Whatever you pick make sure it's something you will enjoy building and painting as they're a major part of the hobby too and painting 100 models you're not really keen on will drive you mad!

Hope some of my rambling helps
    Cats and Dogs are better than kids because they eat less, don't ask for money and if they get pregnant you can sell their children.

Hey new guy! I agree with all that has been said here so far.

I'd also sugest checking out the E-bay links here on BoLS and looking for a local store that provides a discount to purchases. Any of the battle force boxes will have all the modles you need to start an army and at a good discount.

That will help you get a playable force with out spending to much dosh.

Brother-Sergeant

I'd suggest space marines. If you want to play them assaulty, you can always go for Blood Angels - the supplemental codex is available on the GW site for free (I'm pretty sure). The advantage that they've got over Chaos, 'nids, or the rest of the suggestions for someone just getting into the hobby is logistic.

They're included in the Assault on Black Reach starter, which for $75 USD gets you the rules books, a template set, a few dice including scatter, a decent-looking SM captain, a full-strength tac squad, 5 terminators, a dreadnought, and a whole lot of orks. It's rarely hard to find someone who's willing to trade black reach orks for black reach marines, so you should be able to double those numbers. That gets you two HQs, two troop choices, and three to four elite choices depending on how you play the termies. It's a good starting point for an army.

And SMs are one of the easier armies to paint.

if i went chaos what units would be good and i'm not really into eldar the pictures just what i could find

If I were you, I would wait 1,5 month until october when Space Wolves will get a new codex.

reasons:

1. a new codex = uptodate (you don't wont to start a hobby und use an army which is not competitiv)

2. imo nice models

3. Marines are a good starter Aamy

Battle-Brother

Things to include in a CSM army are: Plague Marines, Berserkers, Obliterators, Rhinos, winged Daemon Prince. That should get you started.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast