PDA

View Full Version : Cruor Vault's Lamenters

Cruor Vault
09-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Hey Guys (and Gals). I wanted some feedback on some of my initial forays into freehand. As many of you can see, it's not by any means done, but it is closer to being finished than started!

Initial sketch filled in with black micropen.

Close up of one of the wings. Right now I am sticking with a more comic book style of artwork, and outlining everything with a black micropen.

Close up of part of the skull and the blue/black checkers.

The top of the raider, roughly 70% complete. I'm pretty unhappy with how the blue star at the top is looking, when I highlighted it I lost a lot of the symmetry and it has kinda blobified (thats a technical term).

Duke
09-02-2010, 10:48 AM
As always, I love the checkers. Your right about the star though.

Duke

fuzzbuket
09-02-2010, 02:03 PM
gahhhh we may have found a 3rd duke/JAWA freehand fantastic :P

Irongut
09-02-2010, 04:29 PM
LOVE IT!

(yes, I did use capps)

SotonShades
09-03-2010, 04:27 AM
really like the feathers and checkers. the skull is pretty good too. all I would say, most notably on the grey/metallic areas of the wings would be to use more mixes between the darkest grey and the white to get a smoother gradiation. thinner paints might help as well. of course, if that's part of the comicbook style you're talking about, ignore everything I just said!

overall, very nice neat job

Tynskel
09-03-2010, 05:22 AM
what chapter? is that lamentors?

Cruor Vault
09-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

@Duke: Star is redone.

@Fuzzbucket: You truly have no idea how Ironic your statement is...

@Irongut: Yeah CAPS!!!

@Soton: I was actually considering going back over the wing mounts with another color, maybe gold. The Grey just isn't doing it for me.

@Tynskel: Yep, Lamenters. I went with a much brighter yellow than most people do. I found 4-5 pots of perfectly mint condition Bad Moon Yellow a year or so ago and have been Airbrushing Lamenters like mad ever since.

Since my original post I have redone the star on the front of the raider, fished up all the details (lights, grills, etc), and begun to gem the checkers on the top and sides of the Raider. Hopefully I will have time to post some pics of it later tonight. For now here are some pictures I took last fall right when I was getting started on this porject.

My Ironclad, Ancient Lapedus. The only one of my Dreads to be painted so far, he was actually the test model for the army. I painted him before I started using my Airbrush, as a result he is a completely different shade of yellow than everything else in the army!

His Hurricane Bolter arm, since I took this picture I have finished the book (added writing etc) and done some battle damage on the model. Its such a shame, because I love they way the book came out, but a Hurricane Bolter just ain't so good these days.

The first 5 marines I painted. I used the Mechanicus shoulder pad in place of a Crux on the sergeant because a.) It looks cool for a sergeant and b.) I ran out of Crux shoulder pads. These guys are some of my Devastators. Also note poor armless half stripped Lysander in the background. I think he finally got his head swap a few months ago. Maybe he will get painted by the end of the year, or not.

An Apothecary from my Command Squad, but kinda a poor picture. This squad was built from random junk in my Bitz box one night when I couldn't sleep. This Apothecary has some weird pitting that didn't present itself until after he was primed. However, the shoulder pad has some minor freehand work on it.

And lastly, the Standard Bearer from the same Command Squad. I think the banner is from the old BA jump pack Honour Guard box from 3rd edition. With some more of my freehand, albeit far more primitive work.

fuzzbuket
09-03-2010, 12:41 PM
are you jawaballs :P

but fantastic work again :D

10/10 :D

Cruor Vault
09-03-2010, 12:49 PM
No, Sadly I am not Jawaballs, nor am I duke in disguise. I am something else entirely....

edit:hmm... Found this while I was looking through the Gallery. I forgot I even posted them.

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/g599-tau-sept-b-27aah.html

fuzzbuket
09-03-2010, 12:49 PM
jawaballs's son whos dukes evil twin ? :P

Duke
09-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Meh...

Just kidding, good stuff, as always. Looks better IRL though.

I must say that your picture-taking-foo is superior to mine, I need to stop using my phone, lmao.

Duke

Cruor Vault
09-03-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't know... I think most multi mega pixel camera phones would work just fine. I used a Verizon Voyager for most of the pictures I posted, and a Droid for everything more recent.

Cruor Vault
09-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Well, I took the completed army to one of the Colorado cons (Tacticon). I took best appearance, I was a single bonus objective away from getting best General and came in second overall. A pretty good showing! Hopefully I will have time to post some bat-reps up during the week.

Tynskel
09-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Interesting, you are using Space Marine rules for the Lamentors---- they do claim to have 'cured' the curse...

Immortal
09-06-2010, 04:11 PM
I've seen this army up close and the slow progression that Cruor has made on it. Best army I've seen him build (and I've been gaming with him for 12 years)... that army was in my car for the last 3 days in fact.
Duke, I have a great digital camera you can use while I'm in town to retake some photos on... just let me know.

~Immortal
"The plan is to win, if we don't win it's because we didn't follow the plan."

OCdt Mephiston
09-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Or maybe Duke and Jawaball's evil triplet?

Cruor Vault
09-07-2010, 10:17 AM
jawaballs's son whos dukes evil twin ? :P

Duke only wishes he was awesome enough to be my good twin!

@Tynskel: yeah, I prefer the normal marine codex to the Blood Angels book. Until recently GW had hinted that the Lamenters might not even know who their Primarch is, being a cursed founding and all. Also, a lot of the stuff I have done is a repaint of my Armageddon codex era Salamanders army. I repainted them because a.) they looked like ****! and b.) When the new marine book came out everyone and their brother was playing Salamanders. I still use Vulcan when I go to large events, but when I am just goofing around I prefer to bring a Relic Blade Captain.

Here is a pretty bad photo of the army as it was being packed for a local con. I am going to post some batreps later today.

Here is the 90% completed Land Raider, I just have a little bit more to do on the checkers on the main hull for it to be completed.

fuzzbuket
09-07-2010, 11:11 AM
woah thats fantastic probably better than dukes :D (right ill bet this will be deleted in like 2 seconds :P)

you did a whole army, well done :D sadly on the net its either nicely painted 1/2 finished armies or loads of grey plastic :(

but you've managed both !!! magnificent

Cruor Vault
09-08-2010, 03:37 PM
@Fuzzbuket: I like to use large events as a deadline to paint. I live within an hour of two 45-60 player events, and I use those to push myself to get things done. I think I painted 2/3rds of this army in a single crazy week averaging 10-12 hours a day on top of work and school.

As for more freehand work. Here are some photos detailing how I plan out my freehand before I put it on the tanks.

The initial sketch

One of my planned Squad banners

Another of my planned Squad banners

Cruor Vault
09-09-2010, 10:45 AM
I finally got some decent photos of the army! Well... Most of it anyways, When I got back from Wargames Con the owner of the store where I play the most asked me if I would be willing to leave the army in the display case in the store. I got everything all setup in there and only afterwards discovered that the lights in the case were not plugged in! As a result I was only able to get photos of the stuff in the front of the case (the back wasn't really well lit at night).

Here is one of the two Predators I did, both have magnets enabling me to swap out the turret weapons and I can remove the Sponsons completely should I choose.

These are my scouts, honestly they are almost completely useless. However the are a fun unit to use when just goofing around!

The first of the Tactical Squads I painted, I have scripture on all of their armor that I did with a Micro-pen. Also every guy has hand painted tactical symbols, army badges and company badge. I drew in the Squad # with the pen and you can't really see it, but I have a alpha and beta symbol on members of the squad to differentiate them when I combat squad.

This is my Favorite Tactical Squad. Everything about these guys I love, the yellow came out perfectly on them and they have some of the cleanest symbols of any of my units.

This is the most recent tactical squad I did. I think I used too much bad moon yellow when I was spraying them. Of all my units I think this is the one I like the least!

Cruor Vault
09-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Aughh! I deleted the original version of this post by accident.

I had something pithy to say about the 5 picture attachment limit, but I forgot it.

Second time around...

My Hammer Terminators, Librarian and Vulcan. I love these guys, but Vulcan goes down every single game he is in! if there is a way for him to ID'ed by something he will find it!

And finally, the Army as a whole. There are a bunch of units I still have to take photos of, Devastators, Vindicator, Command Squad, My other Raider, the Typhoons, and the Razorbacks.

Duke
09-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Looking good. When did you move it to that case?

Duke

OCdt Mephiston
09-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Those are some mighty fine Lamenters! As a bit of C&C, I would like to say that the tech marine's right arm does not seem right, like its not connecting to where it should in the shoulder... But as before, thoes are some mighty fine Lamenters indeed!

Cruor Vault
09-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Yeah the arm does look a bit funky in that picture. It's actually the Vulcan model with a hand, head and backpack swap.

Cruor Vault
09-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Got some more pictures to post.

Blue Squadrons Speeder. This speeder, the one below it and a 3rd only partially finished speeder I magnetized so that I can swap out the weapons. I can have either a Multi Melta or Heavy Bolter in the pintle mount, a Heavy Flamer on the nose and the Typhoon Missiles can be removed.

Grey Squadrons Speeder

The Razorback for Tactical Squad 4.

The Razorback for Tactical Squad 5.

The Relic Blade Captain.