PDA

View Full Version : Assault on Black Reach - Paint Scheme for a reborn Noob?!

brody77
08-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi all,

Just took a crazy notion to get back into 40k after an absence of about 6/7 years - got the Assault on Black Reach box set as it seemed the best "in" for me.

Thing is, I'm not that keen on painting my marines an Ultramarines scheme.

I've been out quite a while, so considering myself as an absolute beginner all over again.

If anyone has any easy(ish) chapter ideas that I could have a bash at, I'd be really grateful.

If it helps, I've also picked up the Foundation paints set.

Stay tuned for my future posts of "how do I play this again?" Hehe

PS - I did also order the citadel wash set, but it's just been discontinued here in the UK, along with the previous Warhammer 40k paint set - I'd ordered both of these & was starting to think someone didn't want me taking up the hobby again!!

Thanks in advance for any advice, even if it is to tell me Ultras are the best to start off on.

bloodangel 83
08-31-2010, 03:54 PM
Welcome back brody77, i can tell you i also started my army a year ago playing with the Assault on Black Reach boxes and i play Blood Angels. i have 4 boxes of SM as part of my army. It also depends on your playing style as BA are close combat when there are others that are shooting armies, so it depends on how you play if you ask me.

BlackKnight15624
08-31-2010, 03:57 PM
ULTRAS ARE THE BEST TO START ON!

jk- I'm a fanboy.

Blue, Red, and Green are often easy colors to paint, as they can look striking with even a single layer of paint. To that end, here are a couple of chapters you might consider painting:
-Blood Angels (Recommend you use the foundation paint Mechrite Red if you're doing a black undercoat)
-Dark Angels
-Iron Hands/Raven Guard (grouped because of the black color scheme...)

If you're feeling ambitious, the Imperial Fists are a fairly awesome chapter, though yellow can be tough to paint.

brody77
08-31-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys!!

I actually did a bit of googling on Imperial Fists, but the foundation paint set has none of the colours!!
Typical!

Thanks for pointing out that my army should be based on how I plan to play as well - that's advice I'm very thankful for!

But then again, I also need to consider the paints I have at my disposal just now, which has me thinking BA or Ultra.

I don't fancy doing DA or Salamanders as I've got an Ork army to paint as well!

DrLove42
08-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Black Armour is obviously easy if you like basic, needs good highlighting to look good.

Paint whatever colour you like! Make up a chapter around your colour scheme

BlackKnight15624
08-31-2010, 04:41 PM
TBH in this day and age it doesn't really matter how you paint them- there are so many DIY chapters that people paint specifically so they can use multiple codices for the same army (basing your army around a core of generic marines that can be used as tacticals, grey hunters, etc and then having other vehicles and units that can be used within each codex).

However, if you're going with one of the Brand-Name chapters, then I suppose you might as well stick to whichever army fits the codex.

artemi
08-31-2010, 09:21 PM
First off, here's a link to the Space Marine Painter (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/smp.php). This lets you play with colors and schemes and find something you'll like.

If I were to make a recommendation, I would say...

SPACE SHARKS (http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2009/05/40k-painting-space-sharks-are-jawesome.html)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4nzgPbHlNo4/SgBhDjaWxdI/AAAAAAAAE_8/hs-LXsSqBeI/s1600/SS-001.jpg

Or, if not that, I always thought the Crimson Fists were sweet.

Here's (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/222203.page;jsessionid=D9272FAB7C574E3D31E482B1011 A3248#439947) a Dakka Dakka link of a line of cool pictures of various Chapters.

Kieranator K82
09-01-2010, 12:28 AM
I second Artemi's motion. Space Sharks are awesome. They might even be getting some love from Forge World with the Badab War thing they're doing; if you've got the coin.

brody77
09-01-2010, 06:34 AM
Space Sharks?
Love it!!

I love sharks, this seems a great idea.

Unfortunate that I got 2 Tyranid Hunters off eBay & they're flaming Ultra branded!! Grrrr!

Gonna google some Sharks painting styles.

Shadow Queen
09-01-2010, 07:32 AM
take off the U's and have a look at the P3 range.

brody77
09-01-2010, 09:49 AM
take off the U's and have a look at the P3 range.

Don't rip me too much, but I dunno what you mean by P3 range?
Also, I'm too noob right now to attempt filing down the U symbols on these guys.
At the end of the day it's only 2 miniatures - they are very cool, but I won't lose sleep over it.

The more I think on it, the more I love the Space Sharks!

Shadow Queen
09-01-2010, 09:53 AM
http://privateerpress.com/formula-p3

brody77
09-01-2010, 10:06 AM
I'll check that out, thanks Shadow Queen!

fuzzbuket
09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
well you could do space sharks with ultras reinforcements or inherited suits of armour for sharks doing__________ (insert valourus deed here <)

but if you are doing sharks welll, how about a ALL bike/ shark riding army and a landraider fitted with a JAWS theme :D

/rant/ mad ravings over'

and do whatever army you want or research and just a tip

if you like converting : iron hands

oh and my suggestion : in the grim darkness of the fr future there is only, the imperails finest defenders

THE Rainbow Warriors ^__^

Petite Francois
09-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Hi Brody77,

Wow, those Space Sharks look neat! You sound like you've decided, but I'd just like to put in a recommendation for the 'Knights of Blood' Dark Angel's Successor chapter. The reason is, they are a renegade chapter, not a Chaos legion, but cast out of the Imperial fold for war atrocities and stuff. But they still come to the aid of the Imperium sometimes, though the Imperium doesn't want them to... So anyways, I was thinking it's very convenient to have that kind of fluff at a tourney or in a big gaming group where you might be fighting other space marines as well as fighting the enemies of the Imperium.

But those Space Sharks look good! And...Brody is such a perfect name for Space Sharks (well, obviously, but I had to say so:) )

Be well, be blessed!
Frankie

brody77
09-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Hey Frankie,

Yeah, Space sharks are looking like a good shout, although my painting "skills" are a worry just now.

Did a first goat of grey on a few last night, and the dreadnaught, but I'm very much lacking confidence right now!

The Brody handle is quite a giveaway to my love of Jaws, huh?!

I'll have a wee look at the Knights of Blood too though, I like the description you gave!

Cheers,

B

Shadow Queen
09-08-2010, 06:03 AM
The 007 baddie as the chapter master.

brody77
09-13-2010, 08:17 AM
So I've finally gotten some time to work on my army-to-be, thought I'd post results so far - all feedback & tips welcomed, I know I'm not exactly brilliant at painting.

Space Sharks Dreadnaught:
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy87/brody77/dreadnaught.jpg

Space Sharks Tyranic War Veteran (Ultramarine armour):
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy87/brody77/hunter.jpg

Space Sharks terminator Sergeant:
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy87/brody77/terminator.jpg

Let me know what you think so far?

All 3 have been given the following;
Chaos Black Undercoat
2 coats Adeptus Battlegrey
1 coat Astromican Grey
1 coat Badab Black wash

I'm not too happy with the War Veteran so far - he's a metal miniature & I think it shows in the paint quality, especially on the face.

Thanks

Shadow Queen
09-13-2010, 08:25 AM
try the Army painter Grey Primer that might help you better.

fuzzbuket
09-13-2010, 09:59 AM
for the flesh id use thinned elf flesh -> thinned bleached bone in several stages cause sadly that ultra vets head is budgied :P

brody77
09-13-2010, 11:06 AM
for the flesh id use thinned elf flesh -> thinned bleached bone in several stages cause sadly that ultra vets head is budgied :P

Thanks for the tip - really not happy with the quality of that miniature I must say.

Shadow Queen
09-13-2010, 12:46 PM
you might like to know FW are bringing out the Badab war.

BigGrim
09-14-2010, 04:08 PM
You might want to check The Army Painter brand of Primers. Their Dragon Red and Daemon Yellow are fantastic! I use their Skeleton Bone to prime my Craftworld Eldar models. It's really top notch stuff!

artemi
09-15-2010, 09:54 AM
So far, I like the way the paint is turning out, actually. It looks kinda rough, like shark skin might actually be. I might try hitting it with a layer of hardcoat; it protects the model, kind of pulls colors together, and a glossy, shiny one might look really good with the scheme, as it might make them look kind of 'watery' or something.

Also, do you have any Green Stuff? A tiny blob of the stuff can be slapped on each of the 'U' symbols, distorting their images enough to make them look like something else. I would try to make them into a rough, flat circle or shield, if I were you. You can then paint a little design on it, like squad colors or the leaping shark symbol or something.

I'm glad you like the suggestion!

Shadow Queen
09-15-2010, 10:01 AM
So far, I like the way the paint is turning out, actually. It looks kinda rough, like shark skin might actually be. I might try hitting it with a layer of hardcoat; it protects the model, kind of pulls colors together, and a glossy, shiny one might look really good with the scheme, as it might make them look kind of 'watery' or something.

Also, do you have any Green Stuff? A tiny blob of the stuff can be slapped on each of the 'U' symbols, distorting their images enough to make them look like something else. I would try to make them into a rough, flat circle or shield, if I were you. You can then paint a little design on it, like squad colors or the leaping shark symbol or something.

I'm glad you like the suggestion!

I like that cool idea there.

Shadow Queen
09-17-2010, 08:43 AM
the 2nd badab book might have Space sharks and the badge might be changing.