PDA

View Full Version : To melee or not to melee.....

turiya64
08-29-2010, 06:20 PM
i have run the standard 5 TH SS termanators in a LRC with a mulitmelta for a long time now to throw a brick in the face of any unit out there. but i was wondering if this as needed as it is made out to be. i use imperial fists so i also run lysander and i was wondering what you all thought about useing him with a unit of 10 sternguard in a LRC.

it is possibal to run both of course but then you are puting alot of eggs in 2 baskets.

i have a list that is roughly

lysander

2 tac squads in razorbacks with a meltagun and missel launcher and a PF on the sarg

1 tac squads in rino with a meltagun and missel launcher and a PF on the sarg

2 dreads no equipment

a 10 man squad of sternguard with 2 combie meltas (dont want to loose the bolter fire from them)

2 landspeeders with multi meltas

a LRC with multimelta to run the sternguard around with lysander

a pred with autocannon and lascannon sponsons

and a vindicator

this comes to 2000 points

the big question would have to be does this have enought firepower to make it as a allmost pure shooting list and will lysander be enought to win combat after the sternguard shoot up some of the monster combat units out there.

just looking for thoughts

fuzzbuket
08-30-2010, 10:00 AM
thats a lot of melta, and a lot of fists id on the tacs, and it comes out at 40 pts a model, and this might sound odd but id say either

a) proper guns on the 2 sternguard, cause lets face it 2 meltas each turn is better than special ammo,
b) generic termies,

yes i said PF, SB termies

however i have a point

thay can shoot and counter charge (lets face it its swapping a SS for a guun and if its a gunline army well :D ) and think about things like drop pods, and trynid spores, your not going to out CC them,

finialy look at your army about 1/3, 1/4 is the LR, LYSANDER and termies/ vets

also what do you play? vs. hordes you NEED more stuff

just my 0.2C

fuzz

turiya64
09-03-2010, 11:18 PM
i play alot of MEQ and mostaly mech so alot of melta is a good thing around hear there are a few nid and orc players but they have never ben a prob honnestaly. so i dont fear the hord armys much.

for the same points as i am thingking of runing my vets i can eather have 9 vets and give the sarg a pf and put them in a DP or i can have 10 vets in a drop pod.

if i go with termanators i get 7 termanators with no gear or 6 and one gets a cyclone ML

shooting a MEQ squad that is not in cover i should kill about 7 with vets fireing there ap3 rounds with some good chance of haveing to save a wound or 2 on my own guys from burns

the 7 termanators should wound about 5 and probley 3-4 of thowes will be saved so maby 2 wounds

both are taking into account that lysander in the group.

i have to like that the termanators can walk around shooting the whole time and assult afterwards if it is good for them. but the vets should kill more in there first volley and the DP will bring them in safely everytime.

i am working currentaly with the thought of not runing any landraider and spreding the points around to other units to make them more effectave or flat out add in units like a 3ed speeder as i have a softspot for them.

i will post up my current list tommaro when i get a chance to see what people think of it and get some brainstorming going.