PDA

View Full Version : Are Chariots worth while?

Goresmack
08-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Are chariots worth fielding in 8th edition, particularly High Elf chariots?

They have a nice stat line and impact hits are fun too, but without any sort of rank bonus or other long term survival option it doesn't seem like they stand much of a chance. I could be wrong and most likely am misusing them.

Any thoughts, or suggestions?

-Goresmack

08-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Are chariots worth fielding in 8th edition, particularly High Elf chariots?

They have a nice stat line and impact hits are fun too, but without any sort of rank bonus or other long term survival option it doesn't seem like they stand much of a chance. I could be wrong and most likely am misusing them.

Any thoughts, or suggestions?

-Goresmack

I think HE chariots are as good as they used to be. They gained some survivability now that they are not destroyed by STR7 automatically anymore. Granted, two of them will unlikely break a block of infantry anymore but they are excellent support for your blocks. I don't usually use them, favouring instead a large unit of dragon princes in place of two lion chariots, but I certainly think they're solid.

Geist
09-28-2010, 10:36 PM
I personally would vote for cold one chariot. You just can not beat what it comes with for a mere 100pts.

greenstuff777
10-01-2010, 08:05 PM
High Elf Chariots and Black Coaches are probably the best ones

Geist
10-02-2010, 04:04 PM
I disagree greenstuff.
1 cost
2 army slots
3 ability to perfom
4 number avaible (high elves can have more, this I will give to you, but undead can only have 2)
For the cost and the roles they are to play I would take DE chariots over any of the others you listed hands down.

Folcard
10-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Please correct me if i'm wrong but what about Tomb King chariots as from what I can remember they were in units of about 3

theHman
11-17-2010, 04:32 PM
The problem with DE chariots is that they're stupid.
As in they have stupidity, not stupid dumb. LOL
For some reason my cold ones just hate me. I ALWAYS fail the stupid check at least once a game (usually more) and at exactly the most inoportune time too.

So color me jaded, but I hate cold ones. Especially DE knights.
That 1 attack is so lame.

Dudeman328
11-19-2010, 10:40 PM
I think for the Points, the High Elf Tiranoc Chariots are the best, at only 85 points and still handing out S5 impact hits, its great for supporting the charge, lion chariots are good, but at 140 points, they are a bit points heavy and not to mention how much faster Tiranocs are at M9! Sure, the crew and horses arent as good as the lions or cold ones, but they arent supposed to be!

Albavar
02-01-2011, 09:33 AM
My biggest problem with chariots is that they are now the slowest unit in the game. Only dwarves do not equal or exceed their speed on the march. They are so fragile and now so SLOOOW.

Nikephoros
02-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Chariots are an all or nothing proposition. Either you max them out and run them in a formation where you multi-charge and blow people up, or don't bring them at all. Chariots are not good support units, so don't use them as such.

Either chariots are your main plan, or they aren't in your plans.

addamsfamily36
02-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Chariots are an all or nothing proposition. Either you max them out and run them in a formation where you multi-charge and blow people up, or don't bring them at all. Chariots are not good support units, so don't use them as such.

Either chariots are your main plan, or they aren't in your plans.

Depends on how you use them.

I would definitely advise them as support units. Against standard infantry, impact hits are almost a sure way of getting a few extra kills for combat resolution. As a single chariot, the support role is not advised, but i suggest running them always in pairs.

I run two lion chariots and love them.

Have finished off 30 dark elf spearmen no problem. And thats the key. Target priority. Everyone watching the game was shocked i didn't charge the black guard unit that was crying out for the charge. But i knew that although i might take out the same amount of models, the risk of damage coming back was higher. The spearmen on the other hand were like paper. Strength 3 vs toughness 4 is always a nice bonus. Punched straight through the unit and took 1 wound. I let my swordmasters deal with the blackguard.

Chariots are definitely worth while, especially cheap ones. The cold one chariot !!!!!

WHAT A BARGAIN, even if it is stupid.

Legoklods
02-02-2011, 10:35 AM
It seems everyone has failed to see the greatest point of having chariots... THEY'RE AWESOME!
Whats not to like about simply smashing your way through otherwise diciplined ranks of troops?

novatomato
02-02-2011, 11:33 AM
I think that maybe O&G have the best chariots. Goblin Wolf Chariots are 60 points each and they have M9, same as the Tiranc chariot, S5 with scything wheels and you can get a third wolf and fourth goblin on it for a measly three points each. The boar chariots aren't bad either for 80 points.
Saving best for last is the snottling pump wagon at 40 points.

Chariots are a useful unit to have in an army. They make good deterrent/counter charge unit, an flank open to them is going to cause some hurt, and the sneaky part is that they can be used to charge down units broken in combat. Not to mention that they are an additional unit to place during deployment, making your opponent reveal their battle plan/hiding your own battle plan.

Drachenprinzen
02-06-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm currently contemplating leaving behind my griffon so my general would be on foot, but with the 200 points, I could field 2 Tiranoc Chariots and 30 points elsewhere; although, I've yet to use chariots in a game.