PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk!

Captain Wesker
08-17-2009, 12:56 AM
Official GW UK Store listing of Space Hulk!

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat180018a&prodId=prod210009a

grail
08-17-2009, 01:13 AM
ordered one as soon as i saw it:eek:. time to relive my childhood all over again :) only thing is whats with the bases? seems stange that they are a funny shape. models look sweet at least they did not reclcye black reach and mcragge models.
here is the description for it
Space Hulk
From the depths of space an ancient vessel drifts slowly towards the Imperium of Mankind - a space hulk. Within its confines, untold thousands of Genestealers slowly emerge from hibernation. The Space Marines must enter the cramped corridors and tomb-like chambers of the ancient ship to defeat this alien menace.

Space Hulk is a board game for two players, recreating the battles fought between the Space Marines and Genestealers. One player commands the Space Marines as they carry out deadly missions in the ancient Space Hulk, and the other commands the horde of Genestealers opposing them. Space Hulk's fast-paced rules simulate the tense atmosphere of a mission deep inside the cramped confines of a derelict space hulk, where split-second decisions are needed for victory.

This boxed game contains: a 23-page Rulebook, a 47-page Mission book and 35 finely-detailed, plastic Citadel miniatures, including: 11 Space Marine Terminators, one Space Marine Terminator Librarian, 22 Genestealers, and one Broodlord.

Also included are: 105 gaming counters, 24 corridors, 10 rooms, eight crossroads, eight T-junctions, six corner sections, four dead ends, four end pieces, 20 doors with plastic stands, one mission status display, and three plastic mission objectives, including: a dead Space Marine on throne, a Blood Angels artefact and a Cyber-Altered Task Unit. Plus a sand timer and five bone-coloured dice unique to this game.

Maine
08-17-2009, 01:16 AM
Well I pre-ordered. If I change my mind I can always cancel, but can't order if it it does sell out.

I used the page source to get the larger contents picture to load, which wouldn't load in the normal zoomed view fashion for me.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m410448a_60010699001_ENSHContents_873x627.jpg

It looks like few of the rumors were true:

* No plastic board pieces - those definitely look like cardboard, even the telltail edge "punch" marks.
* Not prepainted minis - though hard to tell, the contents minis are definitely not possessed of high detaily or matching the individual zoomed miniature colors (in the Contents view the Terminator bases are red; in individual view they are black)
* No digital timer - it includes a sand timer

The ones that do appear to be true are:

* It was Space Hulk
* $100 price point

Still unconfirmed:

* Scale of minis is hard to tell, some of the genestealers are clamboring around on hulk interior

energongoodie
08-17-2009, 01:39 AM
I have ordered my 2.
I would have preferred some 3D board action.
I think the miniatures themselves look really nice.

In the picture what i presume is the Brood Lord, on the left on it's own, is really chunky. At first I thought it was a marine but they are all accounted for on the right.

Sorry.It's the dead Marine on Throne. Got a bit carried away.

Raisty
08-17-2009, 01:42 AM
The Australian GW site listed Spacehulk as being out of stock as soon as it appeared. :(
Hopefully thats just a slight mess up, and not an indication of Australia not getting any copies.

grail
08-17-2009, 01:51 AM
my bet is that the genestealer brood lord is the one standing on top of the pile of skulls. when you look at that picture and the following one of the stealer climbing down the wall their backs are differant the first one looks like the classic version from SH 1 while the other looks like a modern mccragge/genestealer boxed set.

could be wrong :o

Grif
08-17-2009, 01:55 AM
The Australian GW site listed Spacehulk as being out of stock as soon as it appeared. :(
Hopefully thats just a slight mess up, and not an indication of Australia not getting any copies.

Raisty: They're either a bit slow with the Aussie site, or we got limited quantities and they got snapped up already. Either way, you can definitely still switch your country to US and grab it via there (which is what I just did, just in case!). =)

Greeny
08-17-2009, 02:22 AM
Looks to me like the minis are coloured plastic. So you can leave them that colour, or only paint on miner details, if that were your thing.

GPrime
08-17-2009, 02:32 AM
Oh thats just total BS!

If its limited edition it wont be supported!

energongoodie
08-17-2009, 02:37 AM
Oh thats just total BS!

If its limited edition it wont be supported!

What support do you want. It's a self contained board game.
This doesn't preclude a Deathwing or Genestealer expansion some where down the line.

RandomX
08-17-2009, 02:47 AM
I got a copy. Kinda sad about the no plastic floor tiles. Might have to get some resin ones, I bet that they pop up somewhere along the line.

If it turns out to be bunk, and they do sell out, at least I will recoup from Ebay.

-Eric

Forhekset
08-17-2009, 02:52 AM
I think I might have to try to get a copy, just for the Blood Angels in it. Looking at the preview pics they look just as detailed as normal minis, but I can't tell if some of the iconography is painted on or elevated, the shading is done too well.

And the game does sound at least abit interesting.

Can anyone confirm or deny that every one of the terminators are unique? Or are there afew copies?

GPrime
08-17-2009, 03:11 AM
What support do you want. It's a self contained board game.
This doesn't preclude a Deathwing or Genestealer expansion some where down the line.

Its not so much the unsupported bit that annoys me its the fact its limited edition.

Why not sell this in Toy Stores to get new people into the game? like in the days of space cruseade and heros quest.

kingcaboose
08-17-2009, 03:19 AM
check out the astronomicon it has some good pics

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=&pIndex=2&aId=2900037a&start=3

Parcival
08-17-2009, 03:20 AM
The Blood Angels Terminators are so beautifully done I could almost cry out of pure happiness. If this is the level set for the Blood Angels re-release next Spring, my large BA army will infinitely grow. :)

azekio
08-17-2009, 03:33 AM
got me mine coming. looks like the minis are superdetailed 1 pieces, so they will be quite flat. may be made from a softer plastic. still, sweet!

RFT
08-17-2009, 03:48 AM
I think this is a toe-in-the-water exercise, though with all the unique moulds and stuff it won't be a cheap one, either for consumers or the company. It's described on the site as "while stocks last" which doesn't neccesarily mean limited, it goves them the option to bail out if it's a disaster, but i'd be very surprised if this was /very/ limited. I;m always dubious about things described as "limited editions" where the actual number of copies isn't made clear.

interesting things to note: full-room flamer markers, "real" dice, (though only 3 seems odd) and the timer for the marine player means that this is either using first edition rules or some sort of hybrid. That tracker board has an assault cannon ammo track on it, as well.

GPrime
08-17-2009, 03:58 AM
I think this is a toe-in-the-water exercise, though with all the unique moulds and stuff it won't be a cheap one, either for consumers or the company. It's described on the site as "while stocks last" which doesn't neccesarily mean limited, it goves them the option to bail out if it's a disaster, but i'd be very surprised if this was /very/ limited. I;m always dubious about things described as "limited editions" where the actual number of copies isn't made clear.

Well the Australian site just went from "Out of Stock" to "No longer available"

Total BS!

Dezartfox
08-17-2009, 04:02 AM
*weeps tears of joy*

LostInTheDark
08-17-2009, 04:16 AM
Raisty: They're either a bit slow with the Aussie site, or we got limited quantities and they got snapped up already. Either way, you can definitely still switch your country to US and grab it via there (which is what I just did, just in case!). =)

Even with the obscene postage charges it still converts to being cheaper to order it from the UK website than ordering the RRP from the Aussie site without postage.

Brass Scorpion
08-17-2009, 04:42 AM
Space Hulk was available on the US GW website some time before 6 AM. I ordered mine already.

I was surprised they went Blood Angels on this instead of Deathwing, but the miniatures are just gorgeous and "cinematic" in their poses.

Here's the description from the GW website:

"From the depths of space an ancient vessel drifts slowly towards the Imperium of Mankind - a space hulk. Within its confines, untold thousands of Genestealers slowly emerge from hibernation. The Space Marines must enter the cramped corridors and tomb-like chambers of the ancient ship to defeat this alien menace.

Space Hulk is a board game for two players, recreating the battles fought between the Space Marines and Genestealers. One player commands the Space Marines as they carry out deadly missions in the ancient Space Hulk, and the other commands the horde of Genestealers opposing them. Space Hulk's fast-paced rules simulate the tense atmosphere of a mission deep inside the cramped confines of a derelict space hulk, where split-second decisions are needed for victory.

This boxed game contains: a 23-page Rulebook, a 47-page Mission book and 35 finely-detailed, plastic Citadel miniatures, including: 11 Space Marine Terminators, one Space Marine Terminator Librarian, 22 Genestealers, and one Broodlord.

Also included are: 105 gaming counters, 24 corridors, 10 rooms, eight crossroads, eight T-junctions, six corner sections, four dead ends, four end pieces, 20 doors with plastic stands, one mission status display, and three plastic mission objectives, including: a dead Space Marine on throne, a Blood Angels artefact and a Cyber-Altered Task Unit. Plus a sand timer and five bone-coloured dice unique to this game."

closetgamer
08-17-2009, 04:46 AM
I wonder if the board pieces are compatible with the 1st/2nd edition Space Hulk. You could make some huge maps if they are.

Also, I wonder if GW will expand this, like they did with the 1st edition, not only in terms of extra box sets, but with rules for other races (e.g. Eldar as in 1st ed.)

EasyC
08-17-2009, 04:50 AM
Im just curious, Will the models come painted?

It seems as if the models come in two different colors. Space Marines in Red plastic and the Genestealers Blue plastic. Is this the exetent of the color that comes on them?

Brass Scorpion
08-17-2009, 04:53 AM
There is now an article on the GW website, "Space Hulk First Contact" Here's a link (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=cat1430053&aId=2900037a).

moffom
08-17-2009, 04:56 AM
they come in two colors so people won't have to paint them ^^
If you want to, you just have so paint directly onto plastic without a basecoat

I've ordered mine but I think I'll do some extra work on basing the models.

Spartan
08-17-2009, 05:24 AM
Ordered! Can`t wait to play it! :D

lauran
08-17-2009, 05:30 AM
I just found a new article at warhammer.com wich said that the box contains 11 terminators with powerfists, chainfists, storm bolters, aheavy flamer and an aussault cannon but also a chaplain with srorm shield and thunder hammer.

They also say space hulk will have a single print run

Brass Scorpion
08-17-2009, 05:31 AM
There's another article on the GW website, Space Hulk is Back! (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=3700040a)

Also, note this text from the article:

"This is a one-off, limited edition product, with a single print run. If you have any interest in owning your own Space Hulk, I strongly suggest you advance order a copy today. Do not wait, because when they're gone, they're gone (although one of the Studio team did hint at a doing 50th anniversary edition in 2039). And DO NOT put this on your wish list, forget about it and expect to get one..."

Forhekset
08-17-2009, 05:41 AM
I just found a new article at warhammer.com wich said that the box contains 11 terminators with powerfists, chainfists, storm bolters, aheavy flamer and an aussault cannon but also a chaplain with srorm shield and thunder hammer.

They also say space hulk will have a single print run
There's a librarian that looks alot like the existing one with a cooler weapon, no chaplain.

One also seems to be a Sanquinary Priest/Apothecary. Which is pretty sweet, never seen a Priest in terminator armour. I assume it'll just be an apthecary for simplicities sake.

[edit] ugh I just read that article and it says the same thing about a chaplain, but it wasn't mentioned in the other article or product listing, so I dunno.

lauran
08-17-2009, 06:04 AM
This article is one big laugh:

"They also thought it would be cool to do it as a stealth project and not tell anyone about it...

...so the first time that Rob and I got to look at the finished game was this morning, in the Studio. And it's a monster."

They see the game and said: OMG is that a new version of space hulk, wow never expected that.:D

Dosadi
08-17-2009, 07:22 AM
So, what do you guys think the Mystery Box will be?;)

The plastics are just wow!:eek:

I can now say that Blood Angels will have the nicest looking terminators in any space marine army out there. Except those new Wolf Guard are pretty hot from what I’ve heard.
And what Tyranid player would be caught dead without those new Genestealers in their army. I would try to get two of these if I was playing either of those armies.

I’m stoked to play and should be able to sometime next week if the advance copies make it into the right hands in time (not mine).:cool:

I don’t know if it’s a revision of the first edition or a hybrid of 1st & 2nd. There were goods aspects of both editions that I would think would make for a really game so I’m hoping it’s more a 3rd edition although if they just reprinted the first edition rules I’d be cool with that, even if it is a 20 year old system. The one thing is, if there is a librarian, assault cannon and TH&SS in the box then it’s not simply a re-print of first edition unless they put the Deathwing expansion rules in there as well.

The only thing I’m disappointed with is the egg timer & the dice, I was hoping for a digital timer with sound effects and some cooler dice would have been nice, not just “Oh, they are bone coloured”. I’m thinking translucent red and blue to represent the different factions would have been a nice touch, but it’s hardly worth complaining about. Also, I think they should have done some plastic doors as the card ones with the stands are kinda meh. But I think the idea was to keep the game set as close to the original as possible (thank the emperor they updated the models though).

I was never really big on the idea of plastic tiles as that would just add so much volume to the box that it would be hard to port around. Speaking of the box, it’s clear they have gone with extra durable packaging for it as it’s not something that will be discarded by the owner.

So now what? Well, I’m hoping that GW puts out some of the extras they did way back in the day of 1st edition Space Hulk. Rules for using other minis like guardsmen and harlequins come to mind, as well as all the bonus missions. All this could be done off their website or in WD.

Dosadi

wittdooley
08-17-2009, 07:26 AM
Okay... so the genestealer posed on top of the dead marine is PIMP!

Santiaghoul
08-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Any notice the timer? Looks like the 1st edition rule for giving the Marine player a limited time to move is back. I loved that rule, it added so much feel to the game. The stealers had unlimited numbers and unlimited time to move them and the marines had so few numbers and time. I can hardly wait to play.

oni
08-17-2009, 09:38 AM
I have two coming. I'm excited. Those models look sweet!

Gotthammer
08-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Here's a soundfile I made up for some creepy ambient vibe:

http://www.box.net/shared/klv13e3t9o

Play the game in a dark room, with a single spot lamp on the board, that sound running, and it gets pretty nerve wracking at times :)

closetgamer
08-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Very clever move by GW to release this so soon after Planetstrike. The possibilties of linking in a game of Space Hulk with a planetstrike campaign are endless. Throw some Epic: Armageddon into the mix and you've got the makings of an outstanding campaign month!

I really hope they add some rules for other races. Harlequins in space hulk with genestealers and terminators are a match made in heaven.

Mongo44
08-17-2009, 10:18 AM
I've got one preordered - thank the dark gods.

Did anybody notice that the pic of the box on the scale had it weighing in at 3.68KG!! Thats pretty heavy! I can't wait. So if we are getting a Librarian and a Broodlord I think it's safe to say there will be some kind of Psychic rules. I doubt they will be as elaborate as the ones in genestealer were. Hopefully they haven't dumbed it down too much.

As far as other races go...It would seem to me that Orks would be a logical choice to add since thats how they get around anyhow. And I'm looking forward to some Chaos terminators throwing down vs those blood angels. Might have to go with some house rules for a while.;)

Greeny
08-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Well the Australian site just went from "Out of Stock" to "No longer available"

Total BS!

Its now set to 'pre-order' in Australia.

Thiselton
08-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Oh if only I could justify spending that money right now...

Maybe I'll convince my gaming group to go in for one...

But then I couldn't keep the models, we'd share em, hum, on to plan B where I beat up a hobo...

kingcaboose
08-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Sneaky, there is also a book for pre order by Gav thorpe.
Space Hulk the novel
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod280014a

GPrime
08-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Its now set to 'pre-order' in Australia.

Just saw that! Thank you.

Urge to kill fading....

Mindless-Focus
08-17-2009, 04:28 PM
that looks an awful lot like prepaint plastic. most definitely out sourced.

Hashshashin
08-17-2009, 10:35 PM
that looks an awful lot like prepaint plastic. most definitely out sourced.

prepaint plastic? :confused:

pre-painted plastic just means some kid in China who makes $.02 a day paints your models for you.

The models being molded in different colored plastic is exactly like old skool GW games, like SpaceHulk, HeroQuest, BattleMasters, etc. It may be different plastic from standard grey GW, but there is no such thing as "prepaint plastic" as a separate type of material.

I'm glad they made the plastic different colours, it's just like the goodness they used to make but with the new-skool sculpting, I'm eagerly awaiting Sep so I can get my grubby mits on this beauty of a game.

Cheers

Dvastator
08-18-2009, 12:45 AM
I will be getting one of these ASAP. I am glad they re-did it and hope they release expansions later as well! :D

Bunny
08-18-2009, 01:33 AM
my bet is that the genestealer brood lord is the one standing on top of the pile of skulls. when you look at that picture and the following one of the stealer climbing down the wall their backs are differant the first one looks like the classic version from SH 1 while the other looks like a modern mccragge/genestealer boxed set.

could be wrong :o

I don't think your wrong. On the product page, the jpg of that particular 'stealer has "SHBroodlord" in the title.

The Terminators look cool, I especially like the librarians Force Axe and the Sergeant pictured would make a good BA Captain. I'm not sure about the Broodlord though, unless its bigger than it looks, I don't think it stands out that much. A pretty minor gripe though, otherwise I think there easily the best models I've ever seen in a GW board game).

Jinchoung
08-18-2009, 02:31 AM
bah... i really dislike this artificial scarcity.... i got it... don't even know if it's gonna be a fun game but i didn't want to regret it later.

y'know what would be even better than a tie in novel (yeah, i ordered that too... ack) - 4 words:

SPACE HULK IPHONE GAME

it is so obvious. probably so easy. and they can even have an option to use it with the board game so that you can use the iphone to control the gene stealer pieces or somesuch.

(and get a deal with apple so that every ipodtouch/iphone they sell as a result of said iphone game gets a percentage kicked over to gw... win win)

come on games workshop... get on that. chop chop.

jin

2dØpe
08-18-2009, 03:53 AM
well its time to say goodbye Xbox 360, Hello Space Hulk, you gorgeous sexy boardgame you:D

Spellscape
08-18-2009, 04:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxHHEa9FFbc
GW official Video #2

Emperorsmercy
08-18-2009, 04:51 AM
Yeah, £60 is a lot for a game that might not even be that good. Cant decide whether to get it or not. Its a pity that its only limited, but oh well...

Kirkanos
08-18-2009, 05:16 AM
It'll be interesting to see just how 'Limited' edition the game really is, they must have made a substantial amount to make the run worthwhile. To be honest I think they're just labouring the point so people don't miss out (plus the huge influx of cash during what would usually be a quiet period).

Oh and as for an iphone game as suggested above, it's already been made years ago, someone just needs to port it!

grail
08-18-2009, 05:21 AM
well its time to say goodbye Xbox 360, Hello Space Hulk, you gorgeous sexy boardgame you:D

all we need now is space hulk on the xbox 360 and ps3. come on THQ get your finger out. then we can all be happy a copy of the board game for when your mates come round. or a game of it on the console when you need th SH fix.
i still have my copy of SH on the pc it was what made me buy a pc in the first place. i still remember the coversation with the sales assisstant.
"can i help you sir"
"yes i want a pc to play that game"
"space hulk sir, no you want to play doom"
"no i want space hulk"
"ok sir let me see what we can do"

But the pc died and i have not played it since then still a very cool game needs up dating like they have the board game

eldargal
08-18-2009, 06:19 AM
This is not true, an Australian friend of mine ordered it from the GW-UK site and it came to 176AUD with shipping as opposed to 165AUD from GW-AU.

Even with the obscene postage charges it still converts to being cheaper to order it from the UK website than ordering the RRP from the Aussie site without postage.

Gotthammer
08-18-2009, 06:30 AM
Saw the set in my local GW today - the miniatures are beautiful, multi part and just as good as the previews make them look. The tiles and counters are around 4mm thick, so easy to pick up and the board won't curl (also why it weighs so much!).

I got to flick through the rules, and it is quite faithful to 1st ed & Deathwing:

Basic costs in APs are the same as 1st ed for moving shooting etc.

CPs can be spent in the stealer's phase, reverting back to 1st over 2nd.

Flamers affect whole rooms (6 shots - no reloading though as far as I could see).

Assault cannons only seemed to have one fire mode, can be reloaded and may malfunction. I didn't get an in-depth look.

Lightning Claws give a re-roll to the marine's assault dice (and a bonus die - may be a bit off on this).

Storm Shields give the marine the option to force the stealer to discard a dice in assault.

A new form of overwatch 'Guard' - gives the marine the ability to re-roll their dice in assault.

Sustained fire caps at 5/6, rather than 3-6, but you get the bonus in overwatch now.

The Librarian uses psi-points like in Deathwing, but also has three powers. I remember Force Dome, and I think it was Psychic Blast and The Quickening, but I'm not too sure on those two.

The Broodlord has beefier stats and can ignore the Librarians blast power.

Looking at the tile sets it seems like it has all the original pieces and the Deathwing tiles without the big rooms.

Gir
08-18-2009, 07:13 AM
There are new pictures up on the GW website. One of a termi holding a dead genestealer, and a termi with lightning claws. Both look increadible. Can't wait to get these models for my Blood Angels army.

There's also 2 new stealer pictures up.

Súil Dubh
08-18-2009, 07:48 AM
There are new pictures up on the GW website. One of a termi holding a dead genestealer, and a termi with lightning claws. Both look increadible.

The terminator holding the dead genestealer has one of his eye lenses smashed out. I love all the little details like this on the figures. Such a shame they aren't on standard bases though.

Kirkanos
08-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Such a shame they aren't on standard bases though.

Any reason they can't simply be glued onto a standard base?

UnionJackal
08-18-2009, 08:44 AM
I wouldn't have thought so from what we've seen; I certainly plan to.

Incidentally, has anyone noticed that the image files for the Astartes on the SH page each has a specific name? The five so far being Goriel, Claudio, Zael, Lorenzo and Noctis. Wonder if there'll be a backstory for each?

lauran
08-18-2009, 09:23 AM
There's also a space hulk novel, it will also be released on 5 september.

think it are the names of the characters.

Gotthammer
08-18-2009, 10:08 AM
I wouldn't have thought so from what we've seen; I certainly plan to.

Incidentally, has anyone noticed that the image files for the Astartes on the SH page each has a specific name? The five so far being Goriel, Claudio, Zael, Lorenzo and Noctis. Wonder if there'll be a backstory for each?

I knew I was forgetting something - the mission book has a bio for at least some of the squad. I saw it open and there were six bios over two pages. Someone else was reading it at the time so I didn't bother them. The outside of the inside of the box seemed to have each trooper named though.

clkeagle
08-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Saw the set in my local GW today - the miniatures are beautiful, multi part and just as good as the previews make them look. The tiles and counters are around 4mm thick, so easy to pick up and the board won't curl (also why it weighs so much!).

My question - how big are the tiles? As soon as I saw the non-standard bases, my first thought was that these boards wouldn't be usable for modern 40mm Terminators. Is this the case?

Gotthammer
08-18-2009, 10:26 AM
That is the case - the tiles are the same as the 1st ed ones, just thicker (30mm x 30mm squares).

edit: This looks new: Unboxing Space Hulk (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=3700041a)

odmiller
08-18-2009, 10:41 AM
The terminator holding the dead genestealer has one of his eye lenses smashed out. I love all the little details like this on the figures. Such a shame they aren't on standard bases though.

Those two new termies look absolutely amazing. Wow.

Watching Paint Dry
08-18-2009, 12:42 PM
For anybody interested, my FLGS has 19 copies of spacehulk left for preorder. They had 20, but I put my order in.

10% off, and orders over $100 get a free paintbrush.

Full disclosure: I am an affiliate of miniwargaming.com, and if you purchase via the link I will get a kickback.

store.miniwargaming.com - Space Hulk Preorderl (http://www.miniwargaming.com/x.php?x=ptgraham&y=http://store.miniwargaming.com/)

Mananarepublic
08-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Great game - I am happy they are bringing it back. Since I have the game and both expansions I just have to figure out if it is worth it for the new terminators.

/M

Súil Dubh
08-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Any reason they can't simply be glued onto a standard base?

From the pictures of the sprues from the "Unboxing Space Hulk" article, it looks like the bases are integral.

If you had a steady hand, a sharp knife, and a good set of files & finishing paper, I suppose you could probably "liberate" the terminators from the bases and then glue them on to normal 40mm ones to use in WH40K. Although in that case they wouldn't fit on the Space Hulk gameboard.

So I guess there's no way we can have our cake and eat it too.

eldargal
08-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Blutac to standard bases for the duration of the 40k game?

From the pictures of the sprues from the "Unboxing Space Hulk" article, it looks like the bases are integral.

If you had a steady hand, a sharp knife, and a good set of files & finishing paper, I suppose you could probably "liberate" the terminators from the bases and then glue them on to normal 40mm ones to use in WH40K. Although in that case they wouldn't fit on the Space Hulk gameboard.

So I guess there's no way we can have our cake and eat it too.

Gir
08-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Blutac to standard bases for the duration of the 40k game?

That's actually a good idea. Much less modification then magnets, and you don't have to worry about the models sticking together when they get close.

tengu
08-19-2009, 12:14 AM
I would love to buy a copy but I am a little put off by the fact that it seems for only 2 players. Aren't board games supposed to be for several people?

Does anyone know if it can be expanded with more minis because I have a number of non-40k friends and family I would want to rope into playing this game

Otherwise $100 bucks does not seem worth it to me for something you can only do with 2 players :(

eldargal
08-19-2009, 12:34 AM
I seem to remember playing SH with my brothers, with the genestealers split up into little groups and the SMs split into squads, whether or not its supported in the new rules is more than I know but it shouldn't be too difficult to work around.

I would love to buy a copy but I am a little put off by the fact that it seems for only 2 players. Aren't board games supposed to be for several people?

Does anyone know if it can be expanded with more minis because I have a number of non-40k friends and family I would want to rope into playing this game

Otherwise $100 bucks does not seem worth it to me for something you can only do with 2 players :(

Dezartfox
08-19-2009, 05:19 AM
If anyone is thinking of gluing them to 40mm bases I wouldn't, the only way to get them to fit onto the board is to zig zag them, it also becomes unclear which square they're on. I was playing with my Deathwing models in first edition a week or two ago ;)

UnionJackal
08-19-2009, 10:07 AM

I remember with the original a game would only take about half an hour (less if the Terminator player is unlucky and/or rubbish ;) ), so if you've got three people then two of them take a Terminator squad each and the third takes the Genestealers, and if there's more you could work a winner-stays-on-but-changes-sides policy. Working through the mission book like that should give everyone a fair crack.

Lord Inquisitor
08-19-2009, 08:44 PM
So what is the general consensus on the models? That plastic doesn't look like the plastic I'm used to. Sure does look to be a little shiny to be quality paintable models.

DuskRaider
08-19-2009, 09:03 PM
They just look like regular plastic models with dye added to the material. I have to say... I pre-ordered one at my LGS. The owner was saying the store could only get 10 copies, he's on some sort of wishlist for 10 or 20 more, but he doubts he'll see them. Kinda rubbish, considering when I walked in he had 4 on the list, by the time I put my name on it was up to 8.

I guess there's stores that are either selling them NOW for $150+, or are keeping their stock on hold until the holidays and jacking them up to $200 or more. It'll be funny if by that time they release another edition of the game and these d-bags trying to scalp fans lose a ton of money.

Ray
08-19-2009, 09:41 PM
On the limited print run:

Sure, there are SH fans, how many do you think there are? Eough to keep this product in production? GW already has experience with other Specialist games. For instnace, the Battle of Five Armies box was limited production. It was targeted for a niche group of LotR:SBG gamers who wanted a big battle game. When they saturated that very small market they we done. The print run GW is talking about is limited, but it's still sizable. It may or may not satify the demand. Time will tell. The price is based on projected sales repaying the GW costs and some profit. Given the response here and other forums the overwheming majority say they will buy it or have bought it. The market sample that represents is so small, though, it might not be indicative of anything. Time will tell. I expect that if the sales deplete the stocks as rapidly as happened with BoFA, they will see fit to make another run. I don't expect the price to change.

On the platic miniatures:

They are NOT prepaints! They ARE new mutipart models, in the same styrene as all their other models for 40K and WHFB--at least that's what has been reported by those who've actually seen the contents. They are very nice looking models, but I wonder how they will fit in a 3D setup.

Egg timer vs. digital timer:

GW packed an egg timer in to make the Termies get a move on. I already own three of these timers of varying durations. They come in handy playing high stress RPGs too. The advantage is of the hour glass is that everyone can see it and use it for reference ( and thus add to the urgency of the Termies' situation. Oh, and it doesn't take batteries!

Cardboard vs: plastic tiles

I don't want to paint a bazillion floor tiles which are going to get all dinged up in the first game! Printed tiles are just fine by me.

Lord Inquisitor
08-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Hey now! What is this on $150-$200 SH? On the website it costs $99.00. Is your store run by douches or is that how its predicted to be all around? Because I sure wont pay an extra $50-$100 just to buy it from my store.

Watching Paint Dry
08-19-2009, 10:45 PM
I don't know why anybody would pay more than GW is charging... They have free shipping and haven't sold out yet. I ordered mine from my FLGS, which happens to be the same guys that show up in the banner at the top of the page. They sell all GW stuff for 10% off and this week all 40k batttleforce boxes are 20% off list price. They were allocated 20 boxes for space hulk and last I checked they had 14 remaining. store.miniwargaming.com (http://www.miniwargaming.com/x.php?x=ptgraham&y=http://store.miniwargaming.com/&c=Bols)

DuskRaider
08-20-2009, 10:49 AM
My LGS isn't selling over the cost GW put out, but I've heard from both him and other folks that some stores are charging $50+ over retail just because they're so limited, and if someone wants it bad enough they'll pay it. Like I said too, some stores are holding their stock for Christmas so they can charge ridiculous prices, which is why I said I hope GW releases a second print around that time, so these unscrupulous individuals lose all their profits.

Mananarepublic
08-20-2009, 01:34 PM
@Watching paint dry - dude, we got it. We know which your FLGS is and that they have 10% off all GW products. I hope you either stop posting the same message over again or that BoLS starts charging you for advertising!!!

/M

DuskRaider
08-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Besides, you can't get a discount on Space Hulk. They're already technically sold and seeing as they're such a limited edition, if YOU don't want to pay full price, SOMEONE ELSE will.