PDA

View Full Version : Help / ideas for Vostroyan shotguns & powerfists

George Labour
08-25-2010, 02:14 PM
First I apologize if I'm not the most coherent writer. Basically looking for ideas to use on converting up vostroyans with shotguns and powerfists.

The powerfist issue isn't to big, except there's only the one model with one, and I'd like three different ones. I've tried to decide how to do this, and am very unsure if I can find any powerfists that look 'vostroyan' enough. So far I think Nob Klaws are the closest, except they're a bit large. THe powerfist on the Catachan sprue also might serve, but it's not as boxy as the Vostroyan officer's fist is. I've also though about using big choppas or certain large two handed weapons from WFB as 'counts as' powerfists.

Obviously I'll also be using different models for this, most likely the other officerr models, and maybe a medic.

AS for shotguns, I had this idea a while back for my vostroyan iron hands straken conversion. Basically I took the Vostroyan big wig , removed his swagger stick, and then took a spare repeating rifle from the WFB empire outriders sprue and used that as a shotgun.

Now that I'm looking to add three squads of shotgun vets to my list I want to have similiar weapons, so as to avoid confusion with my opponents. Unfortunately a web search turned up little in the way of similiar ideas.

So, I've begun eyeing up the bits that will be used and have come up with two ideas.

The first is also the easiest, just chop the normal las rifle down to the model's forward hand, then just use the front assembly of the repeating rifle and glue it to the lasgun. But, the six barreled rifle part is a bit wider than the lasgun.

The other is a bit more complicated. Basically, cut the hands and stock/arms off the repeater, then remove all of the vostroyan's rifle except for the stock that comes out underneath the arm. The biggest issue with that is..well, I'd have to fix up parts of the model's chest on quite a few as the guns are 'attached' to the chest on these metal models.

So there we have it. Unfortunately I do not have a camera to take a picture of my first attempt at a vossie with shotgun. But if anyone else has tried similiar things, or has ideas for alternatives I'd be much obliged.

Oh, also, Steel Legion with powerfists will be on my list after I get done with these. So if anyone has ideas for that as well, thank you ahead of time.

Porty1119
08-25-2010, 03:27 PM
For my shotguns, I use standard lasguns and cut off the barrel and magazine. It's more for Cadians and the like, but Empire bitz would be GREAT for Vostroyans, since it has the right handmade wood feel.

George Labour
08-25-2010, 04:04 PM
I had thought of the lasgun without magazine and cowling idea I've seen other uses, but unfortunately they still look to much like lasguns to me, and I already have my general with a big rifle.

Also I'm finding the empire bits do mesh with the vossies fairly well. FOr example, as my power fist sergeants will be getting shotguns as well, I plan on using the repeating pistols from the same sprue as the rifles. Some of the sheathed swords will be used to provide blades for those shotgun vets who lose their rifle mounted bayonets, and I'm considering using a empire battle wizard as a primaris psyker.

Some of the various acessories may also make it on there, like the standard top with the monkey.

But still, the shotgun and powerfist thing vexes me.

Spy_Smasher
08-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Well, if you are going to be buying bits, there are aftermarket 28mm shotguns out there. Maxmini and The Assault Group come to mind. I haven't used either product.

George Labour
08-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Had a look at both those and some other third party bits makers when I first got the bug to do shotguns. Unfortunately no one makes ones that come close to vostroyan gear.

Though some of the shotguns might prove useful when I convert up som Steel Legion vets. I may go for elysian shotguns for them though.

LadasN
08-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Well, it may be a bit on the expensive side but you could buy three of the vostroyan officers with the fists and attempt to chop the arm off; mix and matching with other kits. For shotguns the repeater rifle-lasgun kit bash sounds like a pretty good idea to me lol.

Grailkeeper
08-25-2010, 10:17 PM
The Vostroyans have very ornate aristocratic antique weapons. |I imagine their shotguns would be similar, possible like those used by aristocrats hunting these days. The Old Necromunda shotguns (see the ones used by escher gangers) look a lot like this. If you could get your hands on an old necromunda weapons sprue that would sort you out no bother.

Javin
08-25-2010, 11:59 PM
If I was not deployed to Afghanistan I would post pictures of my home made shot guns.

I take a lasgun, chop off the top so the top is flat. I cut off the tip of the lasgun. I used an empire lance and cut it into rivet sized pieces for the barrel. Glue your barrel to the front.

I then take a space marine bolter. I cut off the hand guard off the bolter. This part will become the pump for your shot gun.

You then cut off the bottom of the power pack on the lasgun. Leave the trigger assembly. Clip the bottom of the lasgun right under the eagle flat so you can fit the hand guard of the bolter. Greenstuff or glue the pump onto the lasgun.

You now have a pump shotgun that looks fairly decent.

DrLove42
08-26-2010, 04:41 AM
Vostroyans have always struck me as almost a bit Steam-Punkish in their weapons, as Grailkeeper said, Ornate and Aristocratic. Maybe look online for those?

Would love to see your Straken Conversion

fuzzbuket
08-26-2010, 12:17 PM
for the fist how about buying 3 voyst fist models and hacking the fist off? and one of the old metal catchacan sarges fists could work and sculpt on a cloak and hat and VOILA

George Labour
08-26-2010, 01:20 PM
@ Drlove 42: Well I have my cameraphone and some sunlight so I guess I can take a picture of it. Though my paintjob is more serviceable than awesome I am proud of the conversion, minor though it is.

And I just noticed that the other metal powerfist IG models for the cadians and Catachans closely resemble the Vossie one. There's a few changes such as a lack of bionic arm underneath, and the plate on the back of the hand area lacks the edging of the vostroyan one. BUt over all close enough if I don't mind mutilating a couple figs.

Though I was hoping for cheaper options than 7.50 to 11 bucks a fist. I'll just wait and see if Ebay brings me some more ultra cheap bits, as I've scored the rifles and pistols I need.

I also tried my first conversion. I chopped off the las rifle barrel of a primed but unpainted trooper and filed it down to just shy of his hands. I then cut the repeater rifle down to just the circular base behind the barrels, and drilled holes in both, with the repeating barrel being just slightly under or straight with the top of the lasgun so it looks like it can rotate a bit.

It's not perfect, but it's not bad for a first attempt. I'll try and post pictures, but again, they'll likely not be so great.

So, I had a few moments before a storm rolled in to snap some quick photos. I'm afraid they're not very good but do show some of what I intend to do with the gun.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/George-Labour/Shotgunvossie2.jpg

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/George-Labour/ShotgunVossie1.jpg

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/George-Labour/Vossieshotgun3.jpg

Sorry that they suck, but my phone ain't exactly top of the line and there was a storm rolling in. You can also see my modified general in the background there. And the man himself, again, sorry that they're fuzzy.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/George-Labour/VossieStraken1.jpg

Spy_Smasher
09-01-2010, 03:39 PM
There's a pretty dope musket/blunderbuss on the Mordheim accessory sprue. It would be cost prohibitive to procure a bunch in plastic, but if you wanted to give resin casting at try ...

Another possibility is getting Dwarf Thunderer arms off E-bay.

George Labour
09-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Actually another player putting together some extras for his fantasy 'ard boyz list let me rummage through his bits and i came away with about 10 of those blunderbusses, more repeating rifles, and some double barreled pistols. Also got a bunch of feathers to put on my vets in case I use the other 100 vostroyans as regurlar IG at some point.

The good news is those blunderbusses give me an easy way to make a shotgun. Snip off lasgun barrel, stick on the 'trumpet' part of the gun. Granted it doesn't look as kewl, but it's fast and doesn't require mauling one of my painted miniatures to get it properly equipped. I still plan to get some spare troopers and have a go with a dremel to practise getting the repeaters on there, but I can take it slowly now.

Also snagged me two of the powerfists from the new catachan set which should work as vossie and steel legion powerfists. Just wish they were left handed. XD

I've also found a quick way to convert Stee Legion to melta gunners thanks to a picture someone sent me. Basically just remove the front of the melta gun right behind the sight, keeping the feed tube attached. Shave down the sides until the body of the gun is about the same width as the trooper's lasgun, and cut a 45 degree notch out of the bottom near where the tube comes up near the barrel.

Then snip the lasgun down to the scope area, and smooth it all out. Even with shaving they don't mesh up right, but if done carefully it's easy to fill in the gaps. Then you just saw the melta bottle off the gun, smooth out the body of the lasgun, and glue it there.

If i find the picture again I'll see about linking it.