PDA

View Full Version : Mondo Necro

SALLstice
11-21-2017, 11:31 PM
So Necromunda is a game we played. It's fun. I like it. Grenades are really good.

I'm excited to do a real campaign and build my own gang.

I'm tired and don't want to detail anymore than this right now.

But let's discuss.

Icendar
11-22-2017, 06:47 AM
I can't wait to get my copy of the game myself. Not because of some misplaced nostalgia, but because it looks from all I have seen, like it's a great update on the type of skirmish game that I love.

I can't say enough good things about the minis, and some of the rules that I always thought were a little janky have been revised; in particular, I like the new way that ammo is handled (and I say that as someone who generally hates proprietary dice).

I sincerely wish you guys had the time to stream an ongoing campaign. You can see just how easily a story and personalities started to spin themselves out of yesterday's game with the Goliath (Krak was it?) who just wouldn't die. That sort of stuff is awesome as it plays out over the course of weeks/months. Also, since I lost my place to play a little while back, I now mostly have to game vicariously and it'd be silly just to play a campaign with only my wife :p

The downer at the moment is that there's just Escher and Goliath. I'm already jones-ing for more factions - and not just the industrial houses either. I hope it does well enough that we get new Ratskins, skavvies, spyrers, bounty-hunters and (my secret wish) Arbitrators (with cyber mastiffs!) in the fullness of time. It's also my secret wish that all these things will get a release in plastic, though I will undoubtedly die of shock if anything beyond the main houses actually are.

I really hope the game finds a big audience for it's second edition. It just has so much going for it. That's my 6am ramble. I'm going to have some brekky.

Mid-brekky edit: Oh yes, and if someone could put in a good word so that the new spyrers don't end up looking like they were sculpted by a 6-year-old riding on the back of a motorcycle again, that'd be great.

SALLstice
11-22-2017, 11:27 AM
The downer at the moment is that there's just Escher and Goliath.

Yeah, we're absolutely working on where/when/how to do a real campaign. But we're gonna wait until we have more faction to play with otherwise it doesn't really work. But yeah, I love the legacy element to it and I would be super down to fit Necromunda into a regular schedule. Maybe if/when we start regularly streaming thursdays we have necromunda day. I dunno.

- - - Updated - - -

Goliath (Krak was it?) who just wouldn't die.

Nox the Ripper!

- - - Updated - - -

Grenades are really good.

Oh, also on that note. There are even still more rules we didn't use but I'm pretty sure one of them is to activate multiple units at once. If we HAD been using that, JR would've been able to run out of the trap a lot easier and not gotten totally wrecked. Although, my first grenade still did massive damage and I was rolling hot yesterday.

But it does seem like the more rules you add, the more balanced the game gets. It's just a lot to keep track of when you're still getting the hang of the basics. But I'm willing to bet the more we play the more we'll add in extra rules.

Icendar
11-22-2017, 05:06 PM
...I'm pretty sure one of them is to activate multiple units at once. If we HAD been using that, JR would've been able to run out of the trap a lot easier and not gotten totally wrecked.

You're absolutely right. Leaders and champs can activate multiple fighters if I have pieced it together correctly... and I knew about that yesterday, but didn't have the brain to say. :(

I hope JR hasn't been put off by getting smashed like that, too. He looked really over it by the end of the game. That first grenade throw - was it by Nox? (and sorry Nox, that I forgot your name. Don't come and get me) - was monstrous. You had a great game all round, Matt, but that set it up for you. Apart from maybe jumping your dudes into pits :p

I've been sitting here at the in-laws for the day watching necromunda vids on youtube... My wife was already going to play it, but her dad might be up for it, too, now after seeing some of the game. He sometimes plays Blood Bowl with us (he came second in the last BB mini- league we were able to organize). It'd be awesome to see him in charge of a gang :D

Icendar
11-26-2017, 06:28 PM
Now we've seen the pics of those Orlocks that are coming.

I hope they get rules that reflects how their weapons look: drum mags, sawn-off shotgun, auto-carbine. The only one of their weapons I'm a little nonplussed about is that harpoon, which I'm sure will be cool enough, but why not a heavy stubber or something with all those other auto-guns?

I like that they have also re-imagined the look of the orlocks to be something other than leather-jackets, sideburns and headbands, too. Leather vests, muttonchop mustaches and goggles are so much cooler. :D Jokes aside, I love how you can see the roots of where these minis came from, but these new scuplts have turned goofy into great; I don't even mind the little aprons they wear, now. On the old minis, it was about all I could see.

EDIT: And one other thing... *just* Orlocks in the next Gang War book? I didn't see that coming. I would have bet on a book covering 2 houses.

Navaren
11-26-2017, 09:42 PM
Orlocks and a full selection of Hive Scum to bolster your ranks. Sounds like they have a quarterly plan for gang releases like they are doing with BB.

Melon-neko
11-27-2017, 10:21 PM
I played necromunda twice today and did not really enjoy it =( I played escher and destroyed the goliaths twice in a row.
It was my friends copy so I we were reading the rules as we played. Our main confusion has been LoS. In los rules it talks about drawing line of site from base to base, which means that if you stand behind cover you can't see anything, which we thought was dumb. You also draw line of sight from the center of your base which led to some weird position.
It wasn't horrible but maybe my expectations had become to high =D

we are going to try it again with 3d terrain and true los

SALLstice
11-28-2017, 10:29 AM
Our main confusion has been LoS.

Line of sight and cover are always confusing lol

In NM, cover is determined by how much of your target's base you can see from the center of the attacker's base. But also remember that if you're within (I think) 1 inch of a barricade then you're allowed to ignore it when determining cover. So if you get right up to a barricade you gain cover but people you attack do not.

Necromunda definitely has a lot of rules to keep in mind. I recommend giving the rule book and real read through. There's just a lot to remember. It's a fun game tho!

Melon-neko
11-28-2017, 11:36 AM
Line of sight and cover are always confusing lol

In NM, cover is determined by how much of your target's base you can see from the center of the attacker's base. But also remember that if you're within (I think) 1 inch of a barricade then you're allowed to ignore it when determining cover. So if you get right up to a barricade you gain cover but people you attack do not.

This was an issue we had. Although it does say you can ignore barricades and fighter completely within 1 inch of the attacker for determining cover, it does not say this for determining LoS, and you need LoS to target in the first place before determining cover =D. We just switched to true LoS for our second game and it was much better.

SALLstice
11-29-2017, 01:37 AM
it does not say this for determining LoS

I believe it does say somewhere that barricades do not block line of sight.
The Necromunda rule book is..... not great. They organize everything by Basic Rules and Advanced Rules and it only makes referencing a rule even more complicated. Still, they do emphasize a couple times that it's your game and you should play how you want. If you wanna do true light of sight, I say go for it and have fun! :D

Icendar
12-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Played my first games today and it was a blast. We went slowly and sort of played by confirming rules as we went along.

The line of sight issue that you guys are talking about is spelled out on page 42 of the rulebook "obstacles and other fighters do not block line of sight."

I actually like how the rulebook is set out. You follow the basics, and you layer on the complexity. I found it easy to follow, at least.

I have to say that 3-d Necromunda is more my style than the flat tiles. Maybe it'd be different if I had access to the Zone Mortalis scenery, or if I had a better imagination.

Mostly, I can't wait til they release all the other gangs and stuff. I wish GW were in a position where they could have fewer, bigger releases (and sooner!), rather than dribble out the new gangs one per quarter. Oh well.

To sum up: Game is good fun. Well worth the time and, more importantly, the money, imo.