PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer authors and more

Icendar
11-09-2017, 12:42 PM
It seems to come up at least every couple of weeks in chat where we talk about who our favorite Warhammer authors are. I thought I'd put in a bit of a collection of some of my faves and have other people add theirs if they want to.

Dan Abnett. All the books of his I've read I have loved. He's pretty prolific and is a great place to start reading if you're interested in the extended universe at all. Standouts for me are: the Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Bequin series, the Gaunt's Ghosts series, Titanicus, Horus Rising.

Gav Thorpe. Once again, I've not read a book of his that I have regretted. Some may know him as the Eldar Guy or the Dark Angels Guy, but he's done a LOT beyond them (including the Last Chancers penal legion books). Standouts: The Path of the Eldar series, the Dark Angels series, The Emperor Expects, the Last Chancers series.

Graham McNeill. The writer of the Uriel Ventris series. Also a great author to start with if you've never read a Warhammer novel. Standouts: the Uriel Ventris series, the Priests of Mars series, Fall of Prospero.

That's probably enough to start off with, but it's hardly an exhaustive list, and I feel bad for not mentioning authors like Sandy Mitchell, Bill King, Aaron Dembski Bowden, John French and many others.

Also, having mentioned Aaron Dembski Bowden, I'd be remiss in not linking the ongoing (and as of now unfinished) Helsreach animation series made by Richard Boylan and based on the audiobook version of the novel. Black Templars, Chaplain Grimaldus.. what's not to like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D4jr-0_COg

Navaren
11-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Sadly no longer active but I've always loved Sandy Mitchell. He and Abnett write Space Marines interacting with regular people so well.