PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Scouts - Pistols or Bolters?

lowdog
08-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Are Bolt Pistols or Bolters the better option for Wolf Scouts? I imagine that their proximity on entrance means they can get into assaults very easily, so the extra attacks would be nice. On the other hand, they do have counter-assault and the bolters will massively improve their fire support ability.

Thoughts?

Denzark
08-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Depends on the opponent but if you are coming on and getting rapid fire x 2 your target is within 18" of where you come on. If you can get to a target withiin 12" I reckon a full squad bolt pistol folowed by a charge, particuallrly if you amx out power weapons, (and have WG in the squad with power wep) the mathshammer would give you more kills.

Duke
08-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Most of the time your scouts will be used for taking out tanks... As such the only time the bolters will helps is if you don't outflank or if you roll bad and come in on the wrong flank... As such keep the bp, IMHO

Duke

wolflold
08-16-2010, 01:59 AM
I would go for the bolt pistol/close combat weapon, i use em myself and always comes inhandy, put a meltagun in, a WG with power weapon and meltabombs and you got a pretty good unit that can take out tanks and/or units that are camping.

lowdog
08-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Solid support for pistols. Any thoughts on squad size?

wolflold
08-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Minimum + WG is good enough, if you have points to spare you could put in more. But remember they can be cood but not something you must build your army on! Use them to take out tanks and units in the back, they are to distract your opponent, that way he is forced to fight in 2 fronts and has to make the choise: do i save my unit/tank or go for the unit that are comming straight for me :D

AirHorse
08-23-2010, 06:51 AM
Boltguns can be useful, if you are hunting tanks and you dont get within charge range those extra shots from rapid firing can make a difference (since 10 rear is fairly common). An extra glance can make all the difference :P

lowdog
08-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Minimum + WG is good enough, if you have points to spare you could put in more. But remember they can be cood but not something you must build your army on!

Cool. Currently I'm just planning to use them in games over 1500 points as a way to round out my list. I like the fluff (loner vets vs. rank n00bs) as well as the table top implications of them being much tougher than vanilla SM scouts and more reliable in where they come on.

BlindGunn
08-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Does anyone bother with the Sniper Rifle option anymore? I used to use a mix of Heavy Bolter, Bolter and Sniper Rifles.

Had mine for many editions and just blew the dust off them to see what they were... ;)

lowdog
08-23-2010, 10:49 AM
I imagine the sniper rifles and heavy weapon are better suited to normal Marines and BA that can take Scouts as troops, like a cheap alternative to tac squads for parking on an objective.