PDA

View Full Version : cheesyfluff

cheesyfluff
08-15-2010, 06:13 AM
As the title says I am another 40k player jumping on the 8th edition bandwagon. The difference is i am a skint one after losing my job! (good old reccesion eh?)

First off i appriciate the help guys and girls. I know i could just buy the army book and figure this out for myself but having never played fantasy before i have no idea whats worth taking ect.

Basically i am looking at starting a High Elves army on a budget. Hopefully including the models from 2 Island of blood box sets. (swapping with a friend). I would like some sort of dragon leading the army simply because the model is amazing. I also understand there will be new models in october so will hold off buying the new ones until then incase they get updated but otherwise if anyone could write up a couple of lists that are competetive enough i would greatly appriciate it. I am only likely to be playing amongst friends so no need for uber competetive toury stuff.

Sorry i forgot to add a title so the title it has gave it will seem a little strange, sorry!

Old_Paladin
08-15-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure what point level you want to play at; but since you said you were just starting (and didn't want to spend too much money); the following is a 1000 point starter army that Eldargal made that pretty much is based around the models you'll get it 2 Isle of Blood boxes.

Lvl 2 Mage, Seerstaff of Saphery

Lothern Seaguard x 25, Shields, Sea Master, Musician, SB

Swordmasters of Hoeth x 18, Bladelord

Ellyrian Reavers x 5 Bows, Spears

Repeater Bolt Thrower

You said you wanted a dragon and that you'll mostly be playing friendly games; so ask your friends if they'd be fine letting you use a Dragon Mage on Sun Dragon (it's the weakest dragon) as your only character. It wouldn't be too imbalanced, Isle of Blood gives you a noble on griffon anyways.

The dragon mage still costs over 400 points; So the army would probably just be the dragon, the unit of Seaguard and a unit of Swordmasters; but it would be a really showy looking starter army (and a dragon is a great centerpiece).

cheesyfluff
08-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Hi mate,
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably make it 1500 and add the dragon to Eldargals list. I was aiming at 2000 points to start but 1000-1500 is fine.

On the flip side i have a job interview friday so hopefully my hobby funds will be replenished soon enough.