PDA

View Full Version : Vanguard Vs Assualt?

david5th
08-13-2010, 12:54 PM
i have all but finished making my 1500 points SMtournament list. I have however came upon a dilemma of sorts.

The army is as follows ( - fast attack ).

Captain - Artificer armour, digital weapons + power weapon & plasma pistol.
Command squad - Company standard + power weapon & plasma pistol.
5 Man Terminator Assualt squad - thunder hammers & storm shields.
Tactical Squad - sergeant + Chainsword, melta gun & heavy bolter.
Tactical Squad - sergeant + Chainsword, plamsa gun & missile launcherr.
Tactical Squad -sergeant + Chainsword, flamer & lascannon.
Predator - Lascannon sponsons, twin-linked lascannon, extra armour & HK missile.

My dilemma is what to take for fast attack. i have two options that fit the points and bill perfectly.

10 man Assualt squad - sergeant - power weapon + combat shield & melta bombs + 2 plasma pistols.

OR
5 man vanguard squad - sergeant - Relic blade, + ( all ) jump packs & power weapons.

I hope to share this dilemma with the vast and knowledgeable forum and see i you could perhaps help me make up my mind.

Thanks David5th.

Dr. Doctor
08-13-2010, 02:08 PM
It all depends on what you plan to do with the unit.

-Holding the Vanguard Squad in reserve and then Deep Striking in for a Heroic Intervention assault can really be a devastating tactic to use against your opponent especially with all of the power weapons in the unit.

-Vanguards offer more attacks on the charge than the Assault Squad, giving you a better shot at causing more casualties on the enemy.

-Taking the Vanguards puts fewer men between you and your foe in close combat, while power weapons are great against units with low armor saves the Vanguards could be torn apart easily by hoard armies. Meanwhile the Assault Squad gives you a better chance of surviving assaults against hoard armies.

My advice for you is to take both the Assault Squad and the Vanguard Squad and swap them in and out depending on what army your facing, use the Assault Squad for fighting Orks, Nids, or IG, and then use the Vets when fighting heavily armored opponents

fuzzbuket
08-14-2010, 08:39 AM
vanguard :D ^_^

find a high priority target something that is very scary (full devs, tankbustas, ect) jump, kill, repeat :P id also consider dropping 1 power weapn for 3 melta bombs so you can kill deathstrikes and the like

(btw slightly off topic but does onyone else think its weird that vanguard can take glaive encarmine but BA captains cant ???)

david5th
08-15-2010, 06:49 AM
My advice for you is to take both the Assault Squad and the Vanguard Squad and swap them in and out depending on what army your facing, use the Assault Squad for fighting Orks, Nids, or IG, and then use the Vets when fighting heavily armored opponents

Unfortunately its a pick a list and stick to it for the whole tournament event so i have choose one or the other really unless anyone can see something in the list i coluld drop.

David5th.

Mycroft Holmes
08-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Captain - Artificer armour, digital weapons + power weapon & plasma pistol.
Command squad - Company standard + power weapon & plasma pistol.
5 Man Terminator Assualt squad - thunder hammers & storm shields.
Tactical Squad - sergeant + Chainsword, melta gun & heavy bolter.
Tactical Squad - sergeant + Chainsword, plamsa gun & missile launcherr.
Tactical Squad -sergeant + Chainsword, flamer & lascannon.
Predator - Lascannon sponsons, twin-linked lascannon, extra armour & HK missile.

10 man Assualt squad - sergeant - power weapon + combat shield & melta bombs + 2 plasma pistols.

OR
5 man vanguard squad - sergeant - Relic blade, + ( all ) jump packs & power weapons.

I would say you have plenty of low AP weapons and power weapons. What you don't have a lot of is the ability to handle hordes.
Assault squad gives you 10 shots and 30 CC attacks
Vangaurd give you 5 shots and 20 CC attacks.

I would even go so far as to say drop the plasma pistols for flamers, the (mostly) useless combat shield and grab a PowerFist/Thunder Hammer. This way you can seriously destroy large squads and handle vehicles/walkers/MC much better.

Duke
08-16-2010, 11:06 PM
I would go with the vanguard, thug they should only hunt out tactical squads and the like... I know that the gameplay is diffent in uk but this list seems to have a lot of holes in it, in general... What is your overall plan?

Duke

david5th
08-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Plan? Never heard that word before, am just going to ' wing ' it as i go.

I am really just trying to figure which of the two is best for the army. I never really plan, i know thats a bad plan as it were buti i like to adapt as i play and never have a plan or scheme for victory. I am really just going to play some games and get away for a weekend but this question of which to day i wanted some other opinions.

fuzzbuket
08-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Plan? Never heard that word before, am just going to ' wing ' it as i go.

I am really just trying to figure which of the two is best for the army. I never really plan, i know thats a bad plan as it were buti i like to adapt as i play and never have a plan or scheme for victory. I am really just going to play some games and get away for a weekend but this question of which to day i wanted some other opinions.

for assault/ vanguard and ALMOST EVERY marine unit its

have a designated target e.g. hammervanguard s would be the big stuff that KILLS SM
save other marines