PDA

View Full Version : Lexicanum namespace change

Arh-Tolth
10-05-2017, 04:01 AM
Some time ago the namespace of the pages in the Lexicanum category (help pages etc) were changed from "Lexicanum:Help" to "Warhammer - Age of Sigmar | Lexicanum:Help" and "Warhammer 40k | Lexicanum:Help".

Because there was no redirect all links to these pages have to be fixed (seen on all main pages of the wikis) and more importantly the vertical bar in the names messes up the pipe links.

Gene
10-05-2017, 08:49 AM
Why was it changed in the first place? I don't see the reason behind it.

And there're no redirects because you can't do it with the Wiki software we use: Warhammer 40k | Watever will always link to Warhammer 40k -> [[Link|Text]].

Sure, it's fixable but also a good deal of work as we need to repair a lot of dead links (help page and templates) and can't even use internal linking - instead we must use the full web adress because of the problem above.

Edit: I fixed the link in the navigation bar (sans the French Fantasy Lexicanum) but refrain from replacing the other links for now until the matter is sorted out.

Bigred
10-05-2017, 11:52 AM
We updated the namespaces for SEO purposes.

Each current and future lexicanum needs to include the gamesystem it covers to continue to rank in googlesearch against other wargame wikis that are competing against us.

We have only changed the $wgSitename variable, and left the $wgMetaNamespace unaltered. This should not affect a large number if items, and we will update them as we find them.

The updated names are where they need to be, so assume they are now complete. We will not be updating them further.

Future updates will be mediawiki version updates and template updates.

In general Lexicanum needs to be updated to keep up with modern wikis and we now have resources and developers to start these projects.

If any admins see broken links or items we missed, please feel free to fix them and post about them here.

Arh-Tolth
10-05-2017, 01:56 PM
sure, i fully understand the need to update a lot of things, but it would be better if the namespace would not contain functional symbols like the vertical line. The current version now makes it impossible to use links to these sites in templates etc.

Gene
10-05-2017, 04:06 PM
As Arh-Tolth said. The "|" is the problem.

And Larry, your welcome notification is flawed. You use [Lexicanum:Help help pages], but that's not a link at all (I fixed it when I had the time - we also have a special template (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Template:Welcome). It should be [[Lexicanum:Help|help pages]]. Or should have been. Now [[Warhammer 40k | Lexicanum:Help|help pages]] would be redirected to Warhammer 40k.

Bigred
10-05-2017, 07:15 PM
The "|" is the most commonly suggested title divider used for titles for SEO title purposes. It is understood by gogglebot and is used by other mediawiki sites.

Again, if we have to do a certain amount of cleanup of links - that is unavoidable. Our current template was setup in 2005 and is showing it's age. As we continue to update the wikis I'm sure there will be items/links that need to be updated/repaired.

On the other hand our continued updates are all designed to bring in more readers/authors. These change are all designed to keep lexicanum modern and prevent sites that were built on the back of Lexicanum's work from taking all of our readership.

Gene, did you need admin/beaurucrat access on wfb-french? I can get you that right away?

-Larry

Ashendant
10-05-2017, 08:09 PM
The "|" is the most commonly suggested title divider used for titles for SEO title purposes. It is understood by gogglebot and is used by other mediawiki sites.

Again, if we have to do a certain amount of cleanup of links - that is unavoidable. Our current template was setup in 2005 and is showing it's age. As we continue to update the wikis I'm sure there will be items/links that need to be updated/repaired.

On the other hand our continued updates are all designed to bring in more readers/authors. These change are all designed to keep lexicanum modern and prevent sites that were built on the back of Lexicanum's work from taking all of our readership.

Gene, did you need admin/beaurucrat access on wfb-french? I can get you that right away?

-Larry

I think it's literal impossible with the "|" because that symbol has a mechanical function in wiki linking that changes how the wiki interperts between the link itself and what it dysplays on the article. Like [[Realm of Aqshy|Aqshy]], will only show Aqshy in the article itself but it will link to the Realm of Aqshy article.

I think the largest problem with attracting editors is the way the lexicanum deals with account requests which is a bit complex when it could be, and probably should be, a lot simpler.

Gene
10-06-2017, 01:17 PM

-Larry

Well, normal admin rights (bureaucrat rights are unnecessary) would be handy for some basic work (updating, fixing, deleting, redirecting) as I can't edit mediawiki and protected sites there.

Bigred
10-07-2017, 10:36 AM
OK, Genestealer - you have admin rights on wfb French.

I have a question about the title changes.

Would changing the vertical pipe "|" in the namespace titles to a dash "-" be a solution to the mediawiki problems you are seeing? Googlebot sees dashes and pipes identically as dividers.

Gene
10-07-2017, 01:02 PM
OK, Genestealer - you have admin rights on wfb French.

Thanks.

I have a question about the title changes.

Would changing the vertical pipe "|" in the namespace titles to a dash "-" be a solution to the mediawiki problems you are seeing? Googlebot sees dashes and pipes identically as dividers.

Indeed. There would be no problems with linking - there're several sites with a dash in the title.

Ashendant
10-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Can anybody tell me where I go to find that pages that were formerly in the english fantasy lexi:
* Lexicanum: Age of Sigmar
* Lexicanum: Age of Sigmar sources

I want to move them but I can't find how to access them.

Also the lower ad bar is often invisible, and it's kinda annoying.

Gene
10-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Here (http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Warhammer_-_Age_of_Sigmar_%7C_Lexicanum:Age_of_Sigmar) and here (http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Warhammer_-_Age_of_Sigmar_%7C_Lexicanum:Age_of_Sigmar_sources ).

But I guess you should refrain from move them now (see the discussion).

Ashendant
10-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Here (http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Warhammer_-_Age_of_Sigmar_%7C_Lexicanum:Age_of_Sigmar) and here (http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Warhammer_-_Age_of_Sigmar_%7C_Lexicanum:Age_of_Sigmar_sources ).

But I guess you should refrain from move them now (see the discussion).

Yeah I'll have to move them manually as the inbuilt system gives a "Bad Title" error.

Bigred
10-07-2017, 09:48 PM
OK, I'm going to have our coder change the "|" to a "-" in all the wiki titles.

I will post here when it's done. Hold off on any broken link fixes until it's updated.

That should fix your issues, and help us with SEO.

-L

Bigred
10-10-2017, 10:28 PM
All 7 wikis have been updated.

The "|" has been changed to a "-" in all wiki titles.

-L

Gene
10-11-2017, 11:26 AM
All 7 wikis have been updated.

The "|" has been changed to a "-" in all wiki titles.

-L

Thumbs up!

It's quite a lot of work to find and change all the links in the help pages and templates (not to forget the interlexicanum links), so I hope the other users/sysops lend a helping hand.

Bigred
10-11-2017, 04:41 PM
I would prioritize 40K English, 40K-German, and WFB-English. The others are quite a bit smaller.

We have also created daily updating sitemaps for all the wikis and submitted them to google. YAY!