PDA

View Full Version : Great minis with terrible rules

Schnitzel
08-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Posessed Chaos Space Marines. Freaking awesome looks, but entirely too random and costly. Best just using the bits to customise your champions and such. At least its not a waste of a purchase. :D

Bigred
08-15-2009, 02:29 PM
You guys know what I'm talking about. Those terrible units with phenomenal models. Its perhaps the bitterest of fruit as you really want them in your army even though they are overrated, or overcosted.

Which is your favorite one?

I'll start off with the basic CSM Land Raider. I just love the model and love to have them on the field, but man are they trash compared to their Imperial variants.

Lord Inquisitor
08-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Grey Knights. Love the minis and fluff, but they are just not worth there extremely expensive point cost.

Mike X
08-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Hands down, the best mini with the worst rules is the Penitent Engine.

Guytholimew
08-15-2009, 06:37 PM
I always thought Ork Stormboyz would be better than they actually are. They're supposed to be the most disciplined and well-trained but it's not reflected in their stats. Plus, they're always dying when they roll a 6 for their rokkit-pack movement :( Such a shame, because the mini's are so cool!

Valdore
08-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Deathstrike Missile, I'd love one, and probably will scratchbuild one at some point just for fun, but the rules, even after re-reading them and seeing that it does have a chance of firing in a standard game, you get one blast, a Manticore you can get up to 12 guaranteed ordnance blasts, not the possibility of a 6" blast that admittedly ignores cover, but 12 at the same strength, a minimum of 4, in my opinion the deathstrike takes the biscuit for Guard! And it isn't strictly valid as there isn't a mini for it as such, but still the rules part of it fits ;)

imperialsavant
08-15-2009, 07:43 PM
:mad: Have to agree with the posts on Grey Knights & Penitent Engines.
I have 2 squads of GKs & 1 Squad GK Termies with a Brother Captain & havent used them since the Global Campaign just after DHs were released.Their points cost is way over the top especially since they grant the Daemons the "without number" rule!
Also have 3 Pen/ Engines & gave up on them due to the squadron rule, their inability to be controled & points cost.

Morgrim
08-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Scourges. Like the models, like the fluff, and the idea melds perfectly with a dark eldar army.

In practise? Well, putting all your heavy weapons in a very small, very expensive squad that has toughness 3, fits under a small blast template and has only 1 spare wound tends to end badly...

bartschy
08-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Where do I start:

almost everything in the witchhunters codex but sisters ?

Sisters repentia
acro flagelants
Pentinent engines as mentioned before
retinuies for the inquisitors for the most parts, crusaders and sages and familars come to mind.

Damm I painted mine and I am using them as objective markers they are that awesome.

I disagree with the comment about stormboyz and the deathstrike, tey are both fine to say the least.

Aegis
08-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Where do I start:

almost everything in the witchhunters codex but sisters ?

Sisters repentia
acro flagelants
Pentinent engines as mentioned before
retinuies for the inquisitors for the most parts, crusaders and sages and familars come to mind.

Damm I painted mine and I am using them as objective markers they are that awesome.

I disagree with the comment about stormboyz and the deathstrike, tey are both fine to say the least.
I agree with the WH comments, save the Retinue one... I find that the Retinue can be wonderfully useful, in the right circumstances. The Chirugeon allowing the Inq. to shrug off wounds, or pawning wounds off on the Acolytes. Basically, each member of the retinue brings something to the table in the form of keeping the Inq. alive, that I think they are great additions.

Flummer
08-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Tau sniper teams, Lictors, and most of all CSM Terminator Lord. Amazing model, just not as good as DP and special characters.

Spackledgoat
08-15-2009, 11:02 PM
I really love the new Ogryn models. They look stupid and big,but the rules (aka point costs) are terrible.

Erazoender
08-16-2009, 12:51 AM
What are you on? Lictors are great!

Anyways, Pariahs.

Sick models, retardedly expensive. But they aren't the worst out there. Just the coolest.

Rookie1
08-16-2009, 04:37 AM
Eldar Swooping Hawks.
They look like the hawkmen in the TV series "Flash Gordon - The greatest adventures of all", which I find pretty... uhm... cool... I guess. :rolleyes:
But they are pricey and can not do enough (or anything) for their costs. Especially their stupid phoenix lord Baharroth.

Ork Kommandos.
Not that bad. Imo they are the coolest orc models overall, but cannot do anything special, except leading Snikrot on the battlefield, who is awesome.

Flummer
08-16-2009, 06:41 AM
What are you on? Lictors are great!

Anyways, Pariahs.

Sick models, retardedly expensive. But they aren't the worst out there. Just the coolest.

They can be, if your opponent is stupid and you get lucky and rend a tank... but for the points, not so great.

CrusherJoe
08-16-2009, 07:14 AM
This reminds me of something I've been meaning to bring up here...

Why are Acro-Flagellents to terrible? I don't have my 'dex in front of me so I can't quote stats or points but I remember there being a line in the unit description referring to them as "awesome close combat units" or something like that. I've never seen a single army field them, and I guessed from that that there had to be a reason they were universally shunned (and subsequently never even really looked over their rules/stats/etc.).

So...what makes them suck so much?

Chumbalaya
08-16-2009, 07:48 AM
GKs are quite good when mixed up with Guard.

Wraiths, Possessed, Stormboyz, Vanguard for me. Great models, bottom of the barrel competitively.

Rookie1
08-16-2009, 08:39 AM
This reminds me of something I've been meaning to bring up here...

Why are Acro-Flagellents to terrible? I don't have my 'dex in front of me so I can't quote stats or points but I remember there being a line in the unit description referring to them as "awesome close combat units" or something like that. I've never seen a single army field them, and I guessed from that that there had to be a reason they were universally shunned (and subsequently never even really looked over their rules/stats/etc.).

So...what makes them suck so much?

Arco stats are:
WS 4, BS 0, S 4, T 5, W 1, I 4, A 1/D6, Ld 8, Sv 4++
Size: 3-6 models
Special rules: Fearless, cannot join other troops, holy rage, cannot take transports, the player has to take a priest (at least 40 points)

Terrible, perhaps of:
- Pricey
- Arcos die on a 6 when rolling the dice for attacks.
- They cannot take a transport, so they get shooted down.
- 3-6 models is a small size. Ld 8 is low. However invulnerable save of 4+ helps a little bit.

bartschy
08-16-2009, 09:54 AM
yep the acrflags alsodie wen you roll a 6 on there rage movement.

to me they are the same as pentinent engine both are quite ok on paper.

on the retenuie, the only thing usefull Ifound are chirugeons and shooty servetors,
but all the beautiful models of familars pentnents crusaders, sages are completely useless,
at the same time dumping points keeping the inquisitor alive that is that great to begin with is questionable as well

Drunkencorgimaster
08-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Sentinels. Awesome Star-Wars-looking bad*** walker things. They can mount all kinds of cool weaponry, sport different armour and camo designs. And yet by the end of turn three, they are lovely piles of burning, twisted metal.

-Psychic message for dude who is going to disagree with me: Ok, great. Glad you are able to destroy Titans with yours. In my particular experience they suck.

Tarion
08-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Deathstrike Missile, I'd love one, and probably will scratchbuild one at some point just for fun, but the rules, even after re-reading them and seeing that it does have a chance of firing in a standard game, you get one blast, a Manticore you can get up to 12 guaranteed ordnance blasts, not the possibility of a 6" blast that admittedly ignores cover, but 12 at the same strength, a minimum of 4, in my opinion the deathstrike takes the biscuit for Guard! And it isn't strictly valid as there isn't a mini for it as such, but still the rules part of it fits ;)

Here's a bit of maths for you. I did this earlier, elsewhere, so its not quite perfectly in context, but:

A d3+3" radius means that it has a diameter of anywhere between 8" and 12".

Now, what that means is that it has a surface area of anywhere between 50 square inches and 113 square inches.

Compared to the diameter of the large blast, which is 5", giving it a surface area of ~20 square inches. Yes, it covers two and a half times the surface of a large blast template, at it's smallest, and greater than 5 times at it's largest.

I've not got the stats for the Manticore handy (Not at home, so no codex. And GW have the old reference sheet on their site >_<), but I do think that the sheer blast radius does a lot to justify the cost of the Deathstrike. For me, the real limiting factor is that it takes up a HS slot. If you could take 3 and operate them independently, I would be happy :p

Legionary
08-17-2009, 06:09 AM
The Inquisition codices are full of fantastic models that are rarely seen due to terrible rules, but I think the winner overall has to be the Chaos Spawn. It's a really brilliant kit, possibly the best GW have ever made, but do you ever see them in a battle as anything other than the result of Gift of Chaos?

BuFFo
08-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Scourges.

Heavy weapon carrying jump pack troops.

Really GW?!?!?!

Santiaghoul
08-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Scourges.

Heavy weapon carrying jump pack troops.

Really GW?!?!?!

QFT! When DE get their re-vamp I hope that changes :)

person person
08-17-2009, 12:44 PM
I agree with all that has been said, vanguard, scourges, GK, Termie lord, etc.

ThePov
08-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Honestly, I think Honor Guard. The stock models are good, and the fluff allows an enterpirising modeller with so many oppurtunities, but without the ability to give them an invul save, or even the Command squad's FNP save, or the give them jump packs, termie armor, or bikes (I think) means that the only tactically viable way of using them I can think of is give them and the master Relic Blades and stick them in a Land Raider to hunt powerful squads, but even then they're at least 700 points for a vaguely decent sized squad including, and the SM codex has units that do the same job for 500 points less in TH/SS Termies.

Glennos
08-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Hi, My chocies would be the Master of Ordnance for the Imperial Guard New Codex, cool minnie but for a Master if the roll dice scatters it goes 3D6'' less BS (I know its coming for space) but for 30 Pts and a good chance of hitting your own men, well thats St 9 Ap 3, no Guards Man going to live through that, and it will,
I do it all the time

Skragger
08-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Way to post in the wrong thread me...

warpcrafter
08-26-2009, 11:27 AM
The entire Orks range. They look all brutal and warlike, but apparently killing them is about as easy as taking a scythe to wheat. I've not tried the hated Nob bikers, because I wanted to try and have an enjoyable gaming experience without turning into a WAAC/TFG, but now I'm just fed up. Meganobs are not allowed a Waaagh! banner or a Painboy, anything allowed in the codex to give them a modicum of protection (Mek's KFF, Painboy's FNP, Cybork body) makes them too expensive to work as a horde army, plus it doesn't matter who you're fighting, as soon as they hear the enemy is Orks they get one thought in their heads. GUNLINE!!!

HellCrusader
05-10-2010, 11:10 AM
The new jump pack death company. Love the models, love the fluff...but 35pts a model...why?

Melissia
05-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Penitent Engines... It just looks brutal and badass. But it's AV11 open topped...

DarkLink
05-10-2010, 12:03 PM
More importantly, it's an AV11, open topped walker, that needs to make it across the board and into CC in order to do anything. Not a good combo.

Schnitzel
05-10-2010, 01:57 PM
A lil OT but I just realized that although BigRed started this thread, some how I have the first post and it claims me as the originator... Strange.