PDA

View Full Version : Build Bigred an Elves WotR Army

Bigred
07-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Ok here are the house rules:

-2000 pts
-Has to easy to collect from the point of view of using easily collectable numbers of models that come in boxed sets or blisters. (no crazy conversions)
-A couple of good characters, but don't overdo it.
-Lots or arrows
-Galadhrim Knights in there somewhere. (they are beautiful)
-Allied support in the form of either Ents or Great Eagles (argue away as to which is the better compliment for the rest of the army)

I will place my order shortly.

Cryl
08-03-2009, 02:28 AM
Ok here are the house rules:

-2000 pts
-Has to easy to collect from the point of view of using easily collectable numbers of models that come in boxed sets or blisters. (no crazy conversions)
-A couple of good characters, but don't overdo it.
-Lots or arrows
-Galadhrim Knights in there somewhere. (they are beautiful)
-Allied support in the form of either Ents or Great Eagles (argue away as to which is the better compliment for the rest of the army)

I will place my order shortly.

Ok... use this as a start point for conversation rather than a solid "use this" list...

You wanted lots of arrows and some Galadhrim knights so I've got those in there, I've also gone for Ents as support, elves are quick enough already but the ents give you something tough to take down and that hits like a truck, sure Eagles aren't bad in that respect but they add more mobility than power and that's something you don't lack for in an elven army.

I like to theme armies somewhat so I'm putting Legolas (you wanted shooty and it doesn't get much more shooty than Epic Shoot!) with some Mirkwood sentinel which gives you longbows in a unit with enchanted cloaks! Sure ambushers aren't your friends but Legolas has Epic Defense and the enrapturing song of the sentinels themselves should stop really bad things happening, not to mention that they'll hit at the same time as cav. Haldir's Elves are also a really good option in a shooty army, shoot value of 1+ is a lot of free dice and so dead models.

The backbone of the force is Galahdrim warriors and knights supported by lots of long range shooting, the knights and regiments have shields, they have (relatively) poor defence and you shouldn't need the extra shooting from the knights (I can never remember how detailed I can be with points values so I've posted nothing other than the total)
Legolas
4 * Mirkwood Sentinels
4 * Haldir's Elves
4 * Galadhrim Regiment, Sheilds, Captain, Banner Bearer
4 * Galadhrim Regiment, Sheilds, Captain, Banner Bearer
3 * Galadhrim Knight Regiment, Captain, Banner Bearer, Shields
Ent
Treebeard
That's 1935 so you've got some points to play with. Treebeard can be dropped for a normal ent or even beechbone (a might point for 10 points is good value)

icecube
08-03-2009, 03:43 AM
Well heres a try:

Gil-galad, High King of the Elves

Legolas, Prince of Mirkvood

Galadhrim Archer Regigement(*3)

Galanhrim Regigement(*6) with shields, captain and banner

(allied) hobbit militia(*5)

(aliied) hobbit archer militia(*3)

(allied) Ent

(allied) Ent

Galadhrim Khnights(*3) with shields, captain and banner

Galadhrim Khnigths(*3) with shields, captain and banner

Gildors Household(*2)

Well that should be 2000 points. Gil-galad is simply awesome so i would always take him for elves. Legolas is quite great too, and deploying him with your archers means they can even take out monsters fairly well. Gildors Household will probably ambush and take out those annoying enemy warmachines. The hobbits are there to protect your expensive Galadhrim infantry from enemy charges, countercharging in after the enemy are stuk with hobbits.

Spanky Harrison
08-03-2009, 09:55 AM
If you want cheap screening infantry, I would recommend that you take Rohan Oathsworn Militia rather than hobbits.

They are only 5 points more per company, and gain 3 points of defense, a point of strength, and thrown weapons. Plus, they are plastic, and not direct order.

icecube
08-04-2009, 04:47 AM
Yep. Those hobbits were an horrible idea, because their movement is 4 inces lower than the elves, plus they cost much in money.

Dark Lord
10-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Legolas is quite great too, and deploying him with your archers means they can even take out monsters fairly well.
Legolas isn't as good as you might think he is. I was facing elves a while ago, my opponent had legolas and i still won pretty badly (I play fallen realms). Legolas used his epic shot against my mumak and it did nothing against it, no, it did worse than nothing even though it rolled up 5 hits. I had put Khamul on top of my mumak and all the shots were reflected and killed his nearby ent. I then charged Legolas' small formation and killed it.

LEGION
11-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Legolas isn't as good as you might think he is. I was facing elves a while ago, my opponent had legolas and i still won pretty badly (I play fallen realms). Legolas used his epic shot against my mumak and it did nothing against it, no, it did worse than nothing even though it rolled up 5 hits. I had put Khamul on top of my mumak and all the shots were reflected and killed his nearby ent. I then charged Legolas' small formation and killed it.

Wow, so you won by cheating, bravo. You can't put freaking Epic heroes on Mumaks!

Majorcrash
11-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Very correct, heros epic or otherwise can't join a monster. Which is what the mumak is. The crew are nothing more than wound counters and there for looks. The same is true for joiniing a chariot unit. But about legolas, he does rock, I hate him and because he such a pain I field the shadow lord with my more prized units to make him a little less effective.