PDA

View Full Version : Why do you play that?

rabscutle
08-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Everyone has their own reasons for deciding on one army over another. Personally, I chose Menoth because I thought the Exemplar Bastions looked amazing. So I went and read each factions fluff in the MkII Rule Book, the idea of playing a certifiably insane bunch of fanatics was really appealing. There is no doubt in them, they are a single purpose bunch of crazies. Just my kind of army... (I play Orks in 40k if that tells you anything)

What I wanted to know was... what got you interested in your chosen faction? What made you want to play Cygnar or Trolls or Everblight? Did they look cool? Did their play style appeal to you? Or did you just throw a dart at the map?

whitestar333
08-10-2010, 08:08 PM
I actually started playing Menoth in Mk I because I thought the idea of FIRE EVERYWHERE was kinda cool. After a short play period, I discovered that Mk I was a little too ridiculous for my tastes, where people could win by turn 2 and griped about how it was a better game than 40k.

This past year I got much more interested in Mk II because I heard people saying how much better the game was, how the game was balanced again and largely more fun. I watched lots of games, listening intently, and seeing how people played their armies. I was hooked again because I saw that it really WAS balanced.

I took a look again at armies and I LOVED the idea of Circle constructs - even moreso when I saw the full breadth of their model line. Now, I'm a proud owner of 60+ points of Circle constructs (and Baldur, of course!) and I have a lot of fun with the army!

Since then, however, I had fallen in love with Cygnar - in particular the storm tower model. I loved the stormsmith models and as a scientist, I loved the idea of stormsmiths calling lightning down from the sky! After doing some research, I decided to run an eNemo list with a bunch of stormsmiths and I have tons of fun with the army every time I play it! I feel so epic every time I stormcall and I even wear goggles sometimes when I play... wait, did I say that out loud?

Herr Wiggles
08-10-2010, 11:16 PM
4 reasons for me (I play menoth as well)

1. White and red are my favorite colors

2. I LOVE all the robes the models have, love painting cloth

3. FIRE, BURN THE HERETIC!!!!!

4. I seem to have a thing for the religious armies, I play empire for fantasy, theming it mainly based on religious factions (Ulric, Sigmar, Ursus, Taal), and Black Templars for 40k.

scadugenga
08-11-2010, 09:24 PM
I swore I'd never play an additional game for years. 40k sucked up too much time & money.

Then in '03 I was at Gencon, and got suckered into a demo game of WM. It was just fantastic. My buddies were already involved (Cygnar, Cryx & Khador) and Menoth just didn't quite gel with me.

So the PP guy after the game was like "Psst."

Me: Hmm?

PP: I've got something you might want to see.

Me: Uh, sorry dude, I don't swing that way.

PP: No, not that--you need to check this out--it's not released yet.

Me: (phew) Oh, miniatures. Good. What'cha got?

PP: We're going to be releasing this new mercenary warcaster/group. He's kinda anti-Cygnar--a rebel genius on the run.

Me: Nice.

PP: And he has an arcnode jack with a giant buzzsaw and a 1 shot tac nuke.

Me: Sold!

It didn't even have a box yet. They sold in in little plastic baggies.

Illicit gaming minis, there's nothing quite like it.

My buddies have been loathing Mags ever since.

I've since dabbled in Cygnar and Circle...but at heart, I'm Merc through and through. :)

Kieranator K82
08-11-2010, 10:44 PM
I'm a hyper-violent, heretic burning, witch hunting, religious zealot! Need I say more?

Faultie
08-12-2010, 08:31 AM
I really like the direction that PP went with Mercenaries, and I love their take on the dwarf archetype, so I play mostly Highborn Covenant and Searforge Commission. The models are great, the rules are well done, and I have flexibility of build like almost no other army.

Now with Farrow and Gatormen getting armies, I'm taking models I've liked for a long time, but now have good MKII rules, and are getting their own armies.

whitestar333
08-12-2010, 06:50 PM
I think the relative popularity of Malifaux has really pushed PP to further develop the farrow and gatormen units. Overall, I'm in love with the number of PP releases this year and rumored for the future. They're really pumping out rules and models at pace that really matches well with contemporary expectations. I think that in the long run, PP has a good chance of beating out GW just because of their release schedule.

Faultie
08-12-2010, 09:41 PM
I think the relative popularity of Malifaux has really pushed PP to further develop the farrow and gatormen units.
I'm not calling shenanigans, or anything like that, but how exactly did you arrive at such a conclusion?

Lux
08-17-2010, 03:05 PM
For the most part, I choose armies based on playstyle.

I first started Khador way back in the days of the black and white Prime because I liked the melee-centric, smash-your-face playstyle. At the time, my army in Warhammer Fantasy was High Elves, and changing from their mobile/agile playstyle was appealing. I eventually got rid of my Khador because I just don't like the resource management game that comes with Focus.

When Hordes came along I read and re-read the No Quarter that described all the factions and had the little bar lines to show how good each faction was in different areas. Everblight really appealed to me tactically, and I like(d) dragons.

Now, I'm starting up Skorne because I like the synergistic approach they have, along with the possibility to field multiple multi-wound infantry units. They can also do the smashy-game like Khador, but have Fury, which I find much more fun.

Lux

Bigred
08-18-2010, 07:29 AM
I play Old Witch because I did some study of Baba Yaga in college, and I've always had an attachment to old folklore. I saw the Old Witch and Scrapjack model, and couldn't turn away.

It's almost like she chose me...creepy...

scadugenga
08-18-2010, 04:57 PM
I play Old Witch because I did some study of Baba Yaga in college, and I've always had an attachment to old folklore. I saw the Old Witch and Scrapjack model, and couldn't turn away.

It's almost like she chose me...creepy...

Well, you never know...

Perhaps the Baba was speaking to you in dreams?

stampdog316
08-20-2010, 09:35 AM
I learned the game with pVlad and have a sentimental attachment to him but lately I have branched out to Strakhov and the Irusks. I like the combined arms approach that Khador brings to the table. When most people think of Khador they think big hulking axe to face heavy jacks, but they have some of the best infantry in the game as well. I have probably had morein game sucess due to iron fang pikemen and Kayazy assassins than to any jack.

tonyzahn
08-25-2010, 09:46 AM
I (briefly) played Dark Eldar in 40k, and wanted to try the opposite end of the spectrum: the slow, dead hard melee bruisers. That, and Khador's jacks look awesome.

When Hordes came out I went back to the glass cannons and picked up Legion as my second army.

LoverzCry
09-10-2010, 02:50 AM
I chose Menoth, because when I started playing 40k I chose Space Marines which appearently EVERYONE and their mother chooses them... Not that I hate them them, quite the opposite. I fking love mah Spruce Maroons, but I just wish that I had started out with an army that wasn't as commonly chosen.

Now, I chose Menoth because 1) it had the coolest looking starter box set 2) it wasn't Cygnar which looks like the Space Marines of Warmachine and 3) They've got flails. HELL YEAH FLAILS!!!

So yeah. I basically chose Menoth because their starter box set had jawsome flails. And they weren't space marines, but mostly for the flails.

deadpool002
10-01-2010, 10:09 PM
I after reading through the rulebook, I went with Cryx mostly for the fluff. The concept of the Original dragon creating an undead army to slowly flush out his spawn sounded nifty. That and sea witches with Great Racks...but yeah mostly for the fluff...

For Circle it was due to werewolves and stone golems. The addition of the satyrs made it even cooler.:D

mono
10-02-2010, 12:19 AM
PP: I've got something you might want to see.

Me: Uh, sorry dude, I don't swing that way.

PP: No, not that--you need to check this out--it's not released yet.

Me: (phew) Oh, miniatures. Good. What'cha got?

PP: We're going to be releasing this new mercenary warcaster/group. He's kinda anti-Cygnar--a rebel genius on the run.

Me: Nice.

PP: And he has an arcnode jack with a giant buzzsaw and a 1 shot tac nuke.

Me: Sold!

heh, that was a fairly common reaction to Magnus. ;) I played through (in this order) Khador, Menoth, and Mercs before going Cygnar in Mk II; and now, the swan boys are being maintained while I work on trolls (and some Circle...)

McNs
10-05-2010, 09:37 PM
After going through nearly every faction (I think I skipped Cryx and Circle), I settled on Skorne recently. I love the look of the models, I love the Eastern influence, I love the playstyle, I love painting the miniatures. C'mon... they're the bad guys from 300 meets Chaos Dwarves meets Greek Mythology.

But most of all, I love that my faction essentially is Molik Karn. :cool:

thetallest
10-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Right now I play Circle, largely because of Kaya. I thoroughly enjoy warping my army around the board to the chagrin of my opponents. The ability to rapidly deploy forward, pull models out of their battlelines with druids, and then yo-yo heavies in to kill whatever I separated from their lines is thoroughly enjoyable.

Nothing quite like pulling a heavy out of position and then slaming it back into their own battleline with a Satyr, or simply demolishing it with a warpwolf. Then, suddenly, my model is back in my own lines and out of their threat range.

Nickster8414
10-18-2010, 11:43 AM
I actually just wanted to try painting a model and picked up the Merc box. I then got a crush on Khador army and liked the big strong hevy jacks. I have a Khador army that is decent, but I'm now looking into making a strong Magnus Merc army.

Dyrnwyn
11-04-2010, 03:23 PM
I'd ignored Warmahordes for quite a while now, 40k and Fantasy taking up most of my time and money. But since 5th ed has come out, 40k has felt more and more generic to me, and since the release of 8th ed, my Treemonic Wood Elves struggle in Fantasy. I've mostly been playing skirmish games like Mordheim and Necromunda, enjoying the smaller nature of the battles, when I saw the start of a Warmahordes league. The organizers made some very nice terrain boxes just for the league so it caught my eye.

I've never been hugely into steampunk, so I kinda bypassed the Warmachine stuff, but flipped through a friend's Hordes book, and stopped on the Circle stuff. Druids fighting to maintain a balance, not for some nebulous balance for balance's sake D&D bull, but because it would avoid drawing the attention of a cosmic horror? Interesting. Well, I'm not really into WOLF WOLF WOLF, and it was what my friend was playing. I was all ready to bypass them, but I saw the constructs. I knew about the existence of the constructs, I had seen them in a big pile of suggestions to use instead of GW's odd looking Treeman. This time I wasn't judging them on how they'd fit into my army and I loved their look.

I picked up a rulebook that night and checked out some of the units not in the main book through Battle College and some of the list builders. It was a multi-combo attack on my desire.

1)Aesthetics - I've always been a fan of earth tones, greys and greens and browns.
2)Playstyle - I already enjoyed by Wood Elves in Fantasy, and Circle's ablities sang songs into my brain of forest manipulation shenanigans writ large.
3)Game style - I was feeling bored by GW's large game systems, and the skirmish games were starting to bleed together. Warmahordes looked like a nice midpoint.
4)Background - I like the fluff on the Wurm, I like the druid idea, I like the Constructs, I... Well it might just be simpler to say I liked everything about the Circle but the beasts, and I don't dislike those.
5)Wild card - I just came off a personal Battletech kick, and I've got a thing for handless Clanner mechs. The Wold Guardian has that same 'This arm is a weapon. It's not for picking up wayward waifs and putting them on your shoulder, it's for wrecking your ****' aesthetic that I love in my mechs,and the damn thing just looked so badass.

Five-hit combo to my resolve, KO. Just ordered the first 25 points of my Baldur-led Circle force.

doom-kitten
02-15-2011, 02:45 PM
CYGNAR! Why? Well:

1. The average Cygnarian model doesn't make me go hey what the balls that dudes shoulder pads are just ridiculous (whats with wargames and massively oversized shoulder pads it's so lame).
2. More seriously the army has a more realistic feel to it the basic trooper (Trenchers and Longgunners) aren't that over the top fantasy wise their pretty realistic and have a very nice appeal to them when painted a line of gun toting long gunner looks fantastic on the board and Trenchers appeal to the WW1 nerd in me.
3. The fluff is awesome one nation standing alone against a world out for blood and their not without their own corruption (the Vinter regime being key) so they don't have the lame Puritan good guys crap going. They also know their alone and when you read their fluff they don't pin blame on anyone like that Ashlynn ***** whos got to stop whining about Lleal being Cygnars fault, though Cygnars pretty cocky as they've stood up against Cyrx, Khador, Trolls, Skorne the whole works they kinda have a good reason to be whos else has taken so much and has yet to stumble.
4. Stormknights...Stormguard, Stormblades, Stormlances anything of these look fantastic and they the cream of the crop in the Cygnar army and yet have a reasonable statline what they do have is the Electroleap and Stormblade with a standard bearer is hells loads of fun eight 3 inche AOEs everytime they charge is awesome.
5. Coleman Stryker...seriously a red head with a thunder sword who (in epic form) eats juggernauts for breakfast who can't love the guy.

02-15-2011, 04:42 PM
By the responses in this thread, it appears as though my Menoth aren't quite as uncommon as I expected.

A few friends of mine and I started discussing branching out into a different game a couple of months ago and as we spoke about it, the archetypes of the armies all meshed relatively well with each one of our tastes. One chose Cryx, another Cygnar, Khador was also picked up and then there was me, the guy who has always been compelled by devotion to the extremem and glorious-looking angels. Personally, what really sold me was the Harbinger. She alone had the appearance and the fluff that allowed me to look past how silly some of the Menoth jacks looked. When reading her entry, I remember really enjoying the idea of her being blindfolded because it was too difficult to see the world in her god's eyes and she hovered above the ground as she was too holy to touch it.

Beyond that, I quite like the appearance of the models in Menoth and while I find the playstyle behind the faction tricky a bit (not much versatility from unit to unit; bear in mind, I come from Space Marines) and the casters match that. Each one of them only does a couple of things, but frequently does each quite well.

Admittedly, I've been flirting with the idea of trying out another faction, but would like to try out a hordes army as my circle of friends have the run of Warmachine armies (not including Mercs). I'm intrigued by Legions because I feel as though they would help break my losing streak to Cygnar :P but also enjoyed Wood Elves so am curious about Circle. Well, time to go glance through Battle College, it seems. :P

doom-kitten
02-15-2011, 08:06 PM
I've been given Legion a try recently and I find their verrrrrry unforgiving a single bad movie can ruin your entire game, they have speed like the Cryx but whats awesome is their limited dependability on the warlock allowing warlocks like Rhas or Thagrosh to focus on smashing the enemy apart instead of wasting fury to save little weaklings. The warbeasts look sick but the Nyss unit look kinda like ninja meets samurai and it looks very...well odd not that appealing to look at some unit like the legionaries do look good but it's mostly the warsbeasts. Menoth vs Cygnar is a classic match up however Cygnars shooting often out does the Menites I recommend Skyhammers those things scare me they may be inaccurate but by combine firing them they get more accurate and the template gets bigger, use them with Kreoss's feat and they cream the poor Cygnar, I play Cygnar myself and I have faced this tactic it was quite the experience.

Grabula
03-25-2011, 11:00 PM
About a month before the game was released I came across a picture of a Menoth Jack and liked the general aesthetic (although ironically Menoth is my least favorite aesthetically lol). I googled Privateer Press, saw pictures of the Khador Jacks and Sorscha and fell in love. The Khador Jacks looked like huge metal linebackers, mean and aggressive. I've also always been a fan of armies that look vaguely soviet or russian in nature, hence my attraction to Khador.