PDA

View Full Version : GW Rough Coat Spray Discontinued

Bunny
08-15-2009, 01:40 AM
Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right place for this post or if it should be in painting and modeling (its also not really 40K specific). Anyway...

I recently ordered some Rough Coat spray from GW, but they emailed me to say its been discontinued. They didn't say why or if its going to be replaced, although I doubt it will.

I know a lot of people used alternatives because of the cost, can anyone suggest an alternative fine grain textured spray that they have had good results with please? Not just for buildings as I'm also thinking of spraying my ROB Gameboard with it.

Cheers

And I apologize if this ain't the right place, it is my first post! :)

philbrad
08-16-2009, 02:16 AM
Have a look at your local B&Q they sell a stone effect spray from Plastikote which I've used previously much like the GW roughcast. Comes in differing colours, great for doing urban terrain

PhilB
:eek:

The truth is out there you just have to listen for it!

Valdore
08-16-2009, 04:00 AM
Hmmm, that is news indeed. I use it quite a bit, so thanks for the tip phil :p

As to why it's been discontinued, probably due to its lack of use, it was only really useful for fine texture on buildings, a lot of people use masonry paint etc. And I also had one recently for about two weeks, the propellant had leaked out by then, leaving me with a can of paint and no spray part to it >_> so maybe a combination of things like that.

Bunny
08-16-2009, 04:12 AM
Have a look at your local B&Q they sell a stone effect spray from Plastikote which I've used previously much like the GW roughcast. Comes in differing colours, great for doing urban terrain

Thanks, I knew they sold it but I figured it would be too thick. I'll give it a go!

Denzark
08-16-2009, 06:42 AM
I understand rough coat sprays onto polystyrene withut melting it, does this plastikote?

BeastsofWar-John
08-17-2009, 04:33 AM
never had much sucess wit hthe rough coat. Maybe it was just not spraying in the right temp but it always seemed to block up after a while. And while i see people saying Plastikote, fantastic primer spray, great gloss coat, dire matt spray!

BoW- John

Brass Scorpion
08-17-2009, 06:05 AM
Textured spray paint, which is what "Roughcoat" was essentially, is something that has been available from mainstream paint companies in the past. I bought some long ago for doing "Cityfight" terrain years before the current "Cities Of Death" was released. It can be hard to find and the stuff I bought years ago doesn't seem to be available any longer. I couldn't find it when I wanted to get some more for Cities Of Death.

I would do a search on "textured spray paint" and see what comes up. Krylon does make some textured "shimmer" products, but the problem there is the shimmer effect, though you could spray over it with a flat color before moving on to hand painting. The products mentioned by others above might also be useful.

oni
08-19-2009, 07:57 AM
I'm not surprised. My can equaled FAIL!

grail
08-19-2009, 08:43 AM
[QUOTE=philbrad;8090]Have a look at your local B&Q they sell a stone effect spray from Plastikote which I've used previously much like the GW roughcast. Comes in differing colours, great for doing urban terrain

i ve not used the GW roughcoat so i cannot comment on the differances between that and the Plastikote one. but the Plastikote one is very good.
i had about 30 cans of it delivered to work some months ago to use on a job that was being made for some museum. we had made 20 grave stones out of MDF and 3x1 soft wood and had to make them look like stone. the end result was very good i think we had a mixture of 3 differant grade (fine, medium and corse). the only downside was that the guy in the office had ordered about 13 cans more than we needed. so some of them ended up in my bag :eek:
they sat in my shed for weeks and now that work has gone quite i have some spear time on my hands i have started to finish of my COD buildings giving them a coat of this followed by a coat of grey primer a light drybrush of grey/white a wash with black and they look fine.
the only thing i find is when you spray it on it looks like it is to heavy textured but when i dries out it fine, its also sticky so wear plastic throw away gloves.

Gir
08-20-2009, 04:09 AM
never had much sucess wit hthe rough coat. Maybe it was just not spraying in the right temp but it always seemed to block up after a while.

You have to turn the can upside down and spray for a couple of seconds after each use to make sure the nozzel doesn't block