Elites
250- Harlequins x10- Shadowseer, Harlequin's Kiss x10
96- Fire Dragons x6
Troops
95- Guardians x10- Scatter Laser Weapon Platform
92- Storm Guardians x10- Melta x2
Heavy Support
155- Wraithlord- EML, BLance, Flamers x2

His list, I'm not sure of the points total for his list.

HQ
Reclusiarch- jump pack, power weapon?
Troops
Death Company Dreadnaught
Death Company Dreadnaught
Death Company x10- Bolters
Assault Squad x10- Sergeant, Power weapon, flamer, melta
Heavy Support
Vindicator

So the Battle type was Capture and Control, and the setup was Dawn of War. We rolled and he rolled to go first.

Setup
I put my objective on my far right, and he put his objective in the opposite corner (so to my left).

He put his two dreads on the table; one to the far left, and the other to the far right, about halfway down the board.

I placed my Avatar 18 inches away from the Dread that was to my left.

Turn 1
He brought in everyone else on the other side closest to the dread to my right. The Vindicator moved flat out, the Death co moved forward 6 inches, and then ran a few more inches. The Assault Squad was placed behind the Vindicator using it as cover.
He moved his Dread closest to my Avatar 6 inches forward, and then ran back 5 inches.
The other Dread moved toward my Avatar on the other side of the board because of rage.
My turn I brought my Storm Guardians behind my Avatar so that they were a little less than 12 inches away from him.

Next to the Storm Guardians I placed my Wraithlord to the right of them, then I brought on my Harlequins and placed them in the center of the table behind cover as far back as I could, then my Farseer was near them, more towards the right; by him I placed my Guardians, and in my right hand corner were my Fire Dragons. The Wraithlord, Farseer, Storm Guardians and Fire Dragons also were all behind cover from his army. I moved my Avatar closer to his Dread and used his Wailing Doom; I hit but didn't pin. Looking at the Dread, I realized that I wasn't close enough to assault.

Turn 2
He moved his Vindicator 12 inches closer to my Guardians, his Assault Squad moved behind the Vindicator again, and the Death Co. keep on trucking closer to my Fire Dragons, but is still a ways away.
His Dreadnaught on my right side moves through cover but still falls short of being in range to do anything to my squads. The other Dread moves closer to assault my Avatar.

His shooting turn, he fires his Vindicator cannon, and it scatters slightly to kill 3 Guardians, they pass their leadership test.
In the assault his Dread assaults my Avatar, and puts a wound on the Avatar. The Avatar does nothing to the Dread, and that is the end of his turn.

I move my Storm Guardians up closer to my Avatar, I move my Farseer closer to the Avatar also, and I move my Wraithlord closer to the Vindicator.
The Harlequins move to my left a few inches also (trying to put them even more out of assault range of his Assault squad). My Guardian squad moves closer to the Vindicator also, to put them in line of sight of the Death Co. with the Scatter Laser weapon Platform. My Fire Dragons move closer to the Dreadnaught by them.
My Wraithlord shoots his EML and BLance at the Vindicator’s side armor, and the EML pins, and destroys the Vindicator (doesn’t blow it up). Then the Guardians Shoot the Scatter Laser at the Death Company but he saves the wounds.
Then my Fire Dragons shoot at the other Dreadnaught (3 are within 6inches) and blow it up. It scatters onto 3 of the Fire Dragons and kills 1.
My farseer runs towards the Avatar putting him in range to use Fortune on him.
In the Assault my Avatar takes no wounds, and cuts the arms off the Dread he is locked in combat with.

Turn 3
His Assault Squad moves into assault range of my Guardians and the Death Company move forward still (they are still about 16 inches away).
The Assault Squad shoots at the Guardians killing 1 or 2 of them, and the Death Company shoot at my Fire Dragons killing 1.
The Assault Squad assaults my Guardians wiping them out and consolidates closer to my Harlequins.
My Harlequins move closer to the Assault Squad, as do my Fire Dragons, My Storm Guardians keep moving up and past the Avatar and Dread fight towards his objective. My Farseer moves closer to the Harlequins, and Fortunes them, and Dooms the Assault Squad. My Wraithlord moves forwards toward the Assault Squad also.
Shooting phase my Fire Dragons kill 3 of his Assault Squad including his Reclusiarch, and that is about it for the shooting Phase.
In the Assault phase my Harlequins charge the Assault Squad turn their insides to soup with their Kisses.
My Avatar triumphantly blows up the Dreadnaught with a powerful swing of his mighty sword and the explosion hits 3 Storm Guardians and kills them.

Turn 4
His Death Company move closer to my Fire Dragons, and opens fire on them easily killing the remaining 4.

My Storm Guardians move onto his objective which gives me a score of 1 and him none (he has no scoring units left, and no way to contest both objectives, so by default I have already won) but we keep playing till the end of the game.
The Avatar moves closer to the Death Company, as does the Farseer, and the Wraithlord, and my Harlequins.
Shooting Phase my Wraithlord shoots at the Death co, but they make their Feel No Pain saves and none die.
My Harlequins run at them, after my Farseer Fortunes the Harlequins, but even with running they are short for the assault.
Turn 5
His Death Co shoots and kills 5 Harlequins, and then they Assault into my Harlequins. My Harlequins go first but kill no one, and he manages to only kill one Harlequin. The remaining Harlequins Hit and Run out of the assault and are now 11 inches away from his Death Co.

All my remaining forces except the Storm Guardians move closer to the Death Company. Shooting sees one death company die and my Farseer Dooms them, and then my Harlequins attack the Death co, killing 1, and losing 3.

We roll to see if we continue to round 6, and we roll a 3!

Turn 6
Nothing to do but the assault, so my Shadowseer (the last remaining Harlequin) kills one Death co, and then is brutally slaughtered.

My Farseer and Wraithlord move closer to the Death co. and shoot an EML, BLance, and Singing Spear at the Death co. killing none. (Very lackluster).

We roll to see if we continue to round 7 and roll a 4!

Turn 7
His Death Company shoots at the Wraithlord and Farseer doing nothing, and then they assault my Wraightlord and Farseer, putting 1 wound on my Farseer.
My turn we are still in the assault, my Avatar is still too far away to join or do anything, and in the assault I lose my Farseer.

So that was the game. I won 1-0.

Talking afterwards and his advice to me would have been to use my Harlequins to make his Death co. go where I want them to go. Make them chase them around the board or closer to my Avatar, and maybe fight them there. I will have to remember that in the future. I wasn’t worried about losing my guys because my Storm Guardians held the objective and couldn’t be moved off it. So no matter what I would have won, but I wanted to see how my Harlequins would fair against his Death Co. and the dice just didn’t favor me.

synack
08-06-2010, 12:49 AM
His list lost him the game. 3 Units he can't really control and only 1 scoring unit.