PDA

View Full Version : Painted armies WM/H

whitestar333
08-05-2010, 11:27 AM
I don't know if this is just my individual gaming environment, but I'm continually amazed at the percentage of fully-painted WM/H armies compared to other gaming systems. Is it because of the fewer numbers of models that appear on the table? Quality of the sculpts? Motivation?

In the three different gaming environments I've observed, this has continued to be the case. Additionally, the quality of the painted models seems to be better too. A fully-painted WM/H army usually looks better to me than most fully painted armies in other gaming systems (with exceptions, of course). How do these observations compare to other environments? Or is it just around here?

wittdooley
08-05-2010, 07:58 PM
It's a lot easier to motivate yourself when your whole army is 20 models, not two squads.

fuzzbuket
08-06-2010, 03:50 AM
another reason is that WM hordes you have an army and it works, sadly a lot of the 40k players in america like the "buy it all" strategy which degenerates too " i cant paint all this" which goes too "this army sux iwant a new one "

rince and repeat.

and all the WM/hordes sculptss seem simple and colourful which meeans lower painting time.

and sadly 40k has degenerated from :

put a LOT of time into a nice army

to spray, dip , repeat

as one who has slightly less expendale income (pocket money and not much of it) i will spend a lot of time on my models and convert and clip and even scratch build untill im happy (ive just built an imperail saint using.... 10 diffrent kits :D i love my bitz box)

scadugenga
08-06-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm in on the fewer models-easier to get painted side of the fence. :)

FastEd
08-07-2010, 03:17 AM
I suspect that the lack of required painting for most WM/H tournaments, compared to the requirement for (or at least score for) most GW tournaments which can feel like work sometimes.

On a related note, I've never actually been in a tournament that wasn't GW or WM/H, even though I play plenty of other games. I suspect that most other game system tournaments have little to no paint requirement.

mikethefish
08-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Is it because of the fewer numbers of models that appear on the table? Quality of the sculpts? Motivation?

It's not only just the small size of WM armies, but it's the smaller size of individual units. Think of it this way...

I play Orks in 40k. My army is damn near painted, I only need to paint my last unit to be totally 100% painted. The deal is that my last unit is a mob of 30 models. When I paint, I chain-paint every member of a unit simultaneously (I hate splitting up a unit to paint, it's always a drag to complete one half, and then have to start over for the remainder, you know?). Now painting 30 guys is kind of a big job right, so I have procrastinated and put it off for a long time, even though I am soooo close to being done totally.

On the other hand, I have a new Farrow army that is also about 30 models in total. Thing is, that those 30 models are like a couple of Brigand squads, some Bone Grinders, a couple of warbeasts, and a few odd solos. I can paint individual units and warbeasts and stuff. The fact that the army is broken up into several smaller pieces makes it easier to get up the initiative to start painting. I can paint up a unit at a time, until eventually it all gets done. I guess it's a psychological thing. Even a smaller sandwich is hard to eat in a single bite, you know?