PDA

View Full Version : Corpse Carts: are they worth it?

carrotcolossus
08-03-2010, 11:16 PM
I was thinking about the usefulness of Corpse Carts and in particular, their bound spell in 8th. In 7th ASF meant that you could kill enough guys, they couldn't strike back. Now, that is impossible except against small units. VCs don't have a high enough I to get a re-roll for having ASF and a higher I (like high elves).

Given that, you're paying 75 points for an ok monster (2d6 attacks, T4, 5+ armour save and Regen, though S2 and W2) with a near useless ability. Even with the Balefire and Lodestone option, I just reckon they aren't worth it any more.

What do you guys reckon?

shadowvast
09-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Now to be clear I have only played a few games with my vampires, but from experience they are fairly underwhelming unless fighting right at the front where the fire or stone will be in effect. Also, if you take them I would take 2 or more, or none at all. With bound spells sucking dice out of the casting pool now, they kind of suck there, except as a utility if your vampires/necros are busy elsewhere and you still have spare casting dice...in short, VERY situational, which makes them a marginal (not bad, just situational) choice IMHO.

Jwolf
09-15-2010, 06:57 PM
The ASF will keep faster ASF units from getting rerolls on you, which is sort of nice. Overall I don't see the carts as all that useful for 8th, though.

eldargal
09-15-2010, 08:56 PM
They are invaluable for tabletop Monty Python tributes.

greenstuff777
09-16-2010, 05:59 PM
I run them because they are SEXY MODELS plus giving vampires always stike first in my grave guard unit

Fueldrop
11-07-2010, 10:33 PM
sold on giving multiple units ASF for a single dice. also lasts until your next turn, very nice. never leave the coffin without one if you're fighting a watchtower game

Xas
11-09-2010, 06:50 PM
they are good now for what they were good last edition in my book:
in grops of 3+ (yes, expensive!) to mess with enemy casters (could wreck heavy magic armies with 15+ power dice but might not be needed anymore with the hardcap on power dice and pretty competent dispellers in even our melee lords) or 1 for the ability to get +1 to the rise-roll (more if you are fighting big battles so range of the ability is an issue).

the ASF ability on the other hand has lost much utility both because of how it works (ASF cacnelling out with twohanded weapons is something my graveguards dont like) and hot it sucks power dice. in some situations it can be used to make your caster vampires into decent melee fighters due to rerolls thanks to high I (basically gives them an ability the melee vampires pay 25 points for :) ). it is however still good on all our other troops (everyone suffers from not beeing able to clear the killzone and we at least can resurrect our stuff) and makes ghul-hordes allmost unstoppable without very heavy armor (41 attacks for only 10 wide. 49 if you go 12 wide for maximum killyness against small-base 10 horde. even more if you go for ork-base 10 horde maximum saturation).