PDA

View Full Version : 1500pt WoC Starter List

Lykum
08-03-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm starting off a WoC Khorne army and I'd appreciate feedback. It probably looks like a boring, wimpy little list now, but understand that it will be the basis of what I build on for more points down the road.

Also, for now I am fully dedicated to the Blood God, so NO shooting and NO magic. No promises on how this is going to work out for me.

Lord 21%
Khorne Lord on Juggernaut, Shield, Favor of the Gods, and dispell scroll. 315pts

Hero 11%
Champion of Khorne, hand weapon x2, Collar of Khorne, and Favor of the Gods. 159pts

Special 19%
5x Knights of Khorne, full command. 280pts

Core 45%
20x Marauders of Khorne, Light Armor, Shields, Great Weapons, full command. 190pts

12x Warriors of Khorne, Shield, Hand Weapon x2, full command. 264 pts

5x Marauder Horsemen (no mark), flail, shield, throwing axe, full command. 220 pts

10x Warhounds, scales. 70pts

Yes, this is oddly similar to the WoC battalion boxed set, but feedback on places to trim fat and/or bulk up are appreciated. The Khorne Champion will probably hang out with the marauders to beef up their ward and magic saves. Warhounds will be cannon fodder, and the cav will hang on the flanks and support as required.

Fizyx
08-03-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm starting off a WoC Khorne army and I'd appreciate feedback. It probably looks like a boring, wimpy little list now, but understand that it will be the basis of what I build on for more points down the road.

Also, for now I am fully dedicated to the Blood God, so NO shooting and NO magic. No promises on how this is going to work out for me.

Lord 21%
Khorne Lord on Juggernaut, Shield, Favor of the Gods, and dispell scroll. 315pts

Dispell Scrolls are Arcane Items, and as such an only be taken by Wizards. The monstrous cavalry is nice, and the mount hits hard in CC, but the maximum of a 1+ Armor Save negates much of what the Juggy brought to the battle. Also, he is incredibly vulnerable to any character with any kind of killy power, so I would suggest a Chaos Runeshield or something to protect him in the eventual challenges.

Hero 11%
Champion of Khorne, hand weapon x2, Collar of Khorne, and Favor of the Gods. 159pts

Favour of the Gods can only be taken once.

Special 19%

These guys just don't have the oomph they once did. No longer are we wiping out the front rank on the charge and steadfast keeps them from mowing down whole units on the charge. Not that they are bad, just make sure you keep them back for flank attacks.

Core 45%
20x Marauders of Khorne, Light Armor, Shields, Great Weapons, full command. 190pts

A lot of points for something with a 5+ save to shooting and 6+ in CC. I would take off the shields and light armor and use that to buy 8 more models (10 more, preferably.)

12x Warriors of Khorne, Shield, Hand Weapon x2, full command. 264 pts

If you have the models I would flesh these guys out to at least 15, if not 18-20.

5x Marauder Horsemen (no mark), flail, shield, throwing axe, full command. 220 pts

These guys rock woth MoK. Doubling their S5 attacks will really help them out. Also, once again keep these guys back for eventual flank charges.

10x Warhounds, scales. 70pts

Drop the scales. 6+ AS is too easily negated by anything but the most mediocre attacks

Yes, this is oddly similar to the WoC battalion boxed set, but feedback on places to trim fat and/or bulk up are appreciated. The Khorne Champion will probably hang out with the marauders to beef up their ward and magic saves. Warhounds will be cannon fodder, and the cav will hang on the flanks and support as required.

Overall it is not a bad basic list. The lack of a sorcerer for + to dispell casting kind of hurts, but at 1500 points it will not be too detrimental. My comments are in red. Mostly they are just critiques on the equipment choices. Play a few games with them as see what works.

I would put the Exalted Hero with the Warriors, by the way. They need the help with the ward save to magic cause damned if the lore of metal doesn't just wipe them out.

Lykum
08-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Overall it is not a bad basic list. The lack of a sorcerer for + to dispell casting kind of hurts, but at 1500 points it will not be too detrimental. My comments are in red. Mostly they are just critiques on the equipment choices. Play a few games with them as see what works.

I would put the Exalted Hero with the Warriors, by the way. They need the help with the ward save to magic cause damned if the lore of metal doesn't just wipe them out.

Thanks for the feedback. I am basically just building this list in Excel since I wasn't super happy with the results I was getting with Army Builder in 8th. I will re-attack and correct the errors.

A couple quick questions:
The Collar of Khorne gives magic resist (2) and a 6+ ward. Does this confer a 4+ save against spells? I am going off of pg 72 in the BRB, but I want to make sure I am reading it right.

Secondly, I am assuming I can only give magic/unique items to units that specify they can take said items in the codex. For example, I couldn't give a Marauder chieftain a talisman. Additionally, my Knights and Warriors are the only ones who can take a magic standard. Can I take more than one magic standard? I just wanna make sure I am reading this right.

Lykum
08-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Okay, re-edit. Now that I know the rules better (and didn't screw up my math) I managed to re-allocate some points to things I really wanted.

Lord 25% (maxed... yes!)
Khorne Lord on Juggernaut, Axe of Khorne, Runeshield, and Favor of the Gods. 375pts

Hero 12%
Champion of Khorne, hand weapon x2, Collar of Khorne, BSB. 179pts

Special 19%

Core
20x Marauders of Khorne, Great Weapons, full command. 150pts
(this will be the first place I add to when I get more models)

12x Warriors of Khorne, Shield, Hand Weapon x2, full command, Razor Standard. 309 pts

5x Marauder Horsemen of Khorne, flail, shield, throwing axe, full command. 150 pts
(my math was WAY off on the first hack)

9x Warhounds. 54pts

I added some killy to the Lord and the Warriors, and some anti-killy to the Lord. I am considering removing the MoK from the cavalry just to make them more controllable.
As I bump up the points I will probably add more marauders and another unit of horsemen. As I approach 2000pts I will most definitely add Valkia, and demote the Chaos Lord to a Hero.

Fizyx
08-04-2010, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I am basically just building this list in Excel since I wasn't super happy with the results I was getting with Army Builder in 8th. I will re-attack and correct the errors.

A couple quick questions:
The Collar of Khorne gives magic resist (2) and a 6+ ward. Does this confer a 4+ save against spells? I am going off of pg 72 in the BRB, but I want to make sure I am reading it right.

Secondly, I am assuming I can only give magic/unique items to units that specify they can take said items in the codex. For example, I couldn't give a Marauder chieftain a talisman. Additionally, my Knights and Warriors are the only ones who can take a magic standard. Can I take more than one magic standard? I just wanna make sure I am reading this right.

The collar will give a 4+ Ward to the character and a 5+ Ward to the unit.

And you are right about magic items.

Warrior and Knight banners can take a magic standard up to 50 points. Yes, they can only take 1, but you could put a BSB in the unit for a second banner if you felt it necessary. Your BSB can take a magic banner at unlimited price, but he can not take any other magic items (though he can take gifts of chaos.)

Jwolf
08-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Lord on a Jugger will be targeted by every bolt thrower and cannon on the field. If you're going to take a Monstrous cavalry lord, you must have a good ward save.

Lykum
08-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Lord on a Jugger will be targeted by every bolt thrower and cannon on the field. If you're going to take a Monstrous cavalry lord, you must have a good ward save.

What would be good enough in your experience?

Civic_Necromancer
08-07-2010, 11:47 AM

What I do with my lord (on nurgle palanquin, mind you) is stick'm in a large block of warriors and use him to get cheap ranks out of them. Not only does he now get a Look Out Sir! but because he's a 50x50 base, he takes the space of 4 warriors, thereby allowing me to get 2 ranks out of 6 guys + him. Everyone behind him is just gravy you can pour on your Steadfast bonus like it were mashed potatoes :D

I'd be generally against any form of shield on a Khorn lord + jugger. It sems like a waste, since the juggernaut modifies your armor save so handily. ESPECIALLY for Khorn, I'd put some nasty weapon(s) on him, throw caution to the wind, and let the juggernaut modify your armor save into the ridiculous, rather than taking up a Khornite warrior's second arm with a *spit* defensive option. Save the points you spent on the shield and buy some magic armor instead.

Lykum
08-08-2010, 06:23 PM
What I do with my lord (on nurgle palanquin, mind you) is stick'm in a large block of warriors and use him to get cheap ranks out of them. Not only does he now get a Look Out Sir! but because he's a 50x50 base, he takes the space of 4 warriors, thereby allowing me to get 2 ranks out of 6 guys + him. Everyone behind him is just gravy you can pour on your Steadfast bonus like it were mashed potatoes :D

Mmmmm.... gravy.

I like the idea of throwing him in a group of warriors. I need to play a few games an figure out how best to utilize the guy, cause let's be honest, I'm taking him hell or high water. My thinking on the extra defense is that I need to get him close enough to get his killy on. He is no fun if he never makes it to the enemy.

Can monstorous cav be singled out for shooting and magic if they are in a unit? I figure a unit of marauders is 20 free wounds for the Lord if that is the case.