PDA

View Full Version : How do you use your characters?

AirHorse
07-31-2010, 07:21 AM
So since theres a million ways to setup those lords and heros within your army I was interested to know if people had any particularily cunning, or just interesting ways to setup their characters.

For my orcs and gobbos(well basically just gobbos) I usually use five characters at the 1750 points that my wallet currently allows.

Goblin warboss on gigantic spider with giant blade, armour of fortune, collar of zorga and shield. I like to go hunting the big beasties with this guy! Making use of gork'll fix it so that they cant hit me back. Spider is very useful as its got poisoned attacks which get you the odd extra wound in, as well as giving nice movement and a little extra protection from anyone who might be riding the beastie!

Night goblin big boss with luckys dirk, spiteful shield and light armour. He is nice and cheap and can turn up a surprise against much more expensive characters who think hes an easy challenge, especially if I can get gork'll fix it on em. I also get to use a squig as my spiteful shield :D

Night goblin big boss battle standard bearer with spider banner. I like to shove this guy in a big unit of short bow armed night goblins with some fanatics. On the outside it looks like a pretty harmless unit of gobbos with some easy bonus victory points, but when they charge and you get 20 poisoned shots and three fanatics fly into their face you can do the damage to your opponent before they even get to you! This guy would probaly better as a normal goblin for some extra leadership but I like him to fit in with the unit hes with :P.

And finaly a pair of shaman, one goblin with staff of sneaky stealin who is pretty self explanatory and a night goblin shaman with a power stone and as many magic mushrooms as I can squeeze onto him so i can throw out spells even when the winds of magic have ebbed a little.

So what about you guys? Any interesting characters you got, or an especially cunning item combo that you discovered lurking in the depths of your army book? I would love to read about em :)

Fizyx
07-31-2010, 10:32 AM
I used to bring a lot of sorcerers. In a 2000 point game I would have one Sorcerer Lord and three Sorcerers.

Now, I am finding it hard to justify that many sorcerers, so I usually only bring one (the Sorcerer Lord) which allows me to fit an Exalted Hero in each of my infantry units. One is usually a BSB and the other two are Character Killers. With the new Demon Prince kit, I might be bringing that instead of a Sorcerer.

A lot of it depends on what army you play. Warriors of Chaos obviously will have fewer characters because of point restrictions, but they generally have fewer models and units anyways.

greenstuff777
08-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I use chakax and lore of beasts to make chakax a unit killer 7 attacks at strength 10

Beta_Ray_Bill
08-31-2010, 01:49 PM
My current "light infantry chainsaw" set up is (skaven) Warlord on a Bonebreaker, Warlock augmented weapon, Warpstone armor, dawnstone.

10 str 5 attacks and a stomp, str 4 hits bounced back from re-rollable armor saves, plus however many other rat ogres make it to the fight.

Oyerbides
09-01-2010, 09:24 AM
I think it will drasatically change now with 8th edition, but I like to use my characters as sort of super unit champions. To me units win battles, although that may change now. Some characters appear to be broken. Chakax is a killing machine and can be tooled up even worse. I think eleven character especially wizards like Teclis will be deadly. Characters on large/monster mounts are a little more useful now as well; they get "monsterous stomp" which adds more to the damage they can inflict. But, I still like my characters to be a little safer in my units and augment their fighting abilities.

cypher623
09-07-2010, 07:49 PM
With 8th edition I have gotten away from the goblin shamans and run two orc shamans, a lvl 4 and a lvl 2 so I make sure I get WAAGH! Right now, I think this is the single most powerful spell in the game, and since goblins can't cast it, I don't run them as shamans. Good combo; effigy of mork and glitterscale armor; put that on your goblin warboss and give him mortag's best basha; he will hold his own and tie up just about anyone.