PDA

View Full Version : Dukes war-games con (formerly bolscon) experience

Duke
07-28-2010, 12:32 AM
So I'm going to keep a journal Like thing here where I can tell you all what is happening at the con and give my little twist on it... Almost Like Twitter, but more awesome. I'll have my iPad with me so hopefully I can keep it up to date and give quick-y battle reports and what nots.

Duke

Duke
07-29-2010, 11:16 AM
K so we leave for Austin tonight and are somehow going to try to drive through the night. Hopefully I can get some kind of sleep in the car (history says I won't) so that I'm not super exhausted when we get there. Nontheless a 17 hour road trip with your best nerd-friends is something Iik a right of passage.

Discussions that will most likely be covered in such a long drive

- merits of each others lists
- the awesome-lameness of twilight
- the problems with faster than light travel
- the merits of stargate universe and our hope for the following seasons
- the sheer awesomeness of "double sun power" and other marketing genius strokes from the people over at old spice.
- the entire history of the marvel universe and who would win in a fight between hulk and superman... (hulk smash!)
- other misc nonsense.

Until then I somehow have painting and assembling to do. Yay for last minute tournament prep! Oh and I also have to write a case analysis... Which of those two projects do you think will get done before I go???

Duke

rbryce
07-29-2010, 12:22 PM
- the merits of stargate universe and our hope for the following seasons
Duke

that would be an extremely short discussion then. i would love to say i like it, but its just awful. i see what theyre going for, but i just feel theyre missing the mark by a few lightyears. maybe the script writers dialled the wrong gate adress lol :)

Duke
07-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Perfect point of how it si something that could keep us talking for hours. I like the series, but I am anxious to see how they do "voyager without engines"

Duke

DrLove42
07-29-2010, 01:30 PM
The Hulk was defeated by Tony Stark in the Hulkbuster armour. Ergo Superman would also defeat the hulk. But Tony Stark would defeat superman. With something built in a cave. With a box of scraps :P

Geek road trips are awesome.

Drive Safe

Aldramelech
07-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Don't stop at any 1950's motels, strange houses with an attached abattoir, log cabins, small towns with Sheriffs that ware mirror shades (even at night), truckstops with blond haired swathe but odd hitchhikers etc.

DarkLink
07-29-2010, 02:09 PM
And then Batman would show up with each one's secret weakness and beat them all

DrLove42
07-29-2010, 02:11 PM
And then Deadpool would turn up and kill everyone else. Including you, the reader...

Duke
07-29-2010, 04:05 PM
And then Wolverine is pissed cause he cant beat up crap! lol

So right now I have all my stuff by the front door waiting for my buddies to pick me up... It is officially the second longest hour ever!

Duke

Thomas Taylor
07-29-2010, 07:41 PM
And then Wolverine is pissed cause he cant beat up crap! lol

So right now I have all my stuff by the front door waiting for my buddies to pick me up... It is officially the second longest hour ever!

Duke

Don't feel bad Duke. I live forty miles away and have to wait til tommorrow afternoon to leave. Guess I'll magnetize my destroyers while I wait ...

scadugenga
07-29-2010, 09:39 PM
small towns with Sheriffs that ware mirror shades (even at night),

This is why I avoid Amarillo, TX and it's surrounding environs. Particularly Shamrock County. Road Trips are fun until the local cops decide that they're bored...

Duke
07-30-2010, 02:24 AM
Hour 1:

Here We are in the car, that is actually an old minivan which was made in an era when people were shorter and gamers had 1850 point lists. So between the overly large display boards (thanks mech lists!) and the loads of extra stuff we "have to bring" there is barely enough room to stretch legs/sleep/ breath o2. Good thing we have something Iike 4 bachelors degrees and a masters degree between us or else we woudnt have been able to figure out the tertris-mess that was packing the junk

Hour 4:

Ok so we are finally on the road! And by on the road I mean driving around our home city for three hours getting miscellaneous junk... Among those things: a "duke" t-shirt for myself which I never got because the sporting goods store turned out to be a sports event center! (fail)

Right now we have the tech sector in the back with blogging ipads blogging and laptops playing starcraft 2, meanwhile the people in the front can do neither for fear of distratcing the driver (sucks to call shotgun!)

All in all it looks to be a good night filled with FAQ quizzes, inat readings and more lauging entirely too much about balsa and leafbloweres.

More to come later

Duke

DrLove42
07-30-2010, 03:42 AM
Don't feel bad Duke. I live forty miles away and have to wait til tommorrow afternoon to leave. Guess I'll magnetize my destroyers while I wait ...

Don't feel too bad. For me is a 15000km round trip if i could go...which i really want to one year :(

Duke
07-30-2010, 04:24 AM
Hour 12:

Captains log, m 03571.24

We have made contact with the locals in a place called Amarillo... Apparently society has not evolved much here since the local sewage systems seem not to work at the gas stations. This has affected morale among some of the troops and a few have come back from the restrooms complaining of things living in the toilets. Luckily the replicators are still working and have supplied us with much caffinne and snacks.

We should have been in Austin at this time already if it wasn't for roads that made us stop for upwards of a half hour... Where a person (sex of said person is still to be determined) made us wait for oncoming traffic that seemed to never come. Luckliy a brave soul with a truck marked "pilot car follow me" lead us once more into the breach of oaklahoma country.

Most of he topics I mentioned before were covered, though we added a few like how to solve the worlds energy demands and the affects of 5 hour eneegy on top and caffiene All in all a good trip so far. Breakfast in the morning,

In short... FOR THE EMPEROR

Duke

scadugenga
07-30-2010, 06:14 AM
Hour 12:

Captains log, m 03571.24

We have made contact with the locals in a place called Amarillo... Apparently society has not evolved much here since the local sewage systems seem not to work at the gas stations. This has affected morale among some of the troops and a few have come back from the restrooms complaining of things living in the toilets. Luckily the replicators are still working and have supplied us with much caffinne and snacks.

We should have been in Austin at this time already if it wasn't for roads that made us stop for upwards of a half hour... Where a person (sex of said person is still to be determined) made us wait for oncoming traffic that seemed to never come. Luckliy a brave soul with a truck marked "pilot car follow me" lead us once more into the breach of oaklahoma country.

Most of he topics I mentioned before were covered, though we added a few like how to solve the worlds energy demands and the affects of 5 hour eneegy on top and caffiene All in all a good trip so far. Breakfast in the morning,

In short... FOR THE EMPEROR

Duke

Whatever you do--do *not* speed in/around Amarillo. If you get pulled over, you will likely regret it!

Aldramelech
07-30-2010, 06:47 AM
See, Over here we just get mild sarcasam. Over there you get shot and buried in the desert!

I will begin typing the Burp. That'll keep you occupied for 5 mins :)

Duke
07-30-2010, 06:57 AM
Hour 15: "holy crap, it's flat here!"

well, we tried to sleep and it didn't work. I especially didn't get any kind of sleep. We got through Amarillo at night without getting putlled over by the super troopers, and by your replies that is apparently a really really good thing.

We also found out that 5 hour energy only lasts about one and a half hours.

Now were keeping an eye out for a dennys or other similar fine dining establishment. More to come

Duke,e

Duke
07-30-2010, 07:50 AM
See, Over here we just get mild sarcasam. Over there you get shot and buried in the desert!

I will begin typing the Burp. That'll keep you occupied for 5 mins :)

All right... Let's see if i can make it two weeks in a row.

Hour 16

I think I have officially sat in every position possible in this car...

Duke

Duke
07-30-2010, 11:49 AM
At this point we have been trying to figure out what factor has made us over 3 hours late on our drive. By the time we get there some of use will have been in the car for 24 hours.

Some teheories we have for being so late:
- taking a weird route
- oaklahoma having a black hole that sucks time- space into it
- our stop at chllis adding time
- the weird he/she who made us take an hour for 6 miles
- we were abducted by aliens and are in fact not ourselves.

We have about one hour left, so see you all soon (or not)

Duke

Faultie
07-30-2010, 12:25 PM
At this point we have been trying to figure out what factor has made us over 3 hours late on our drive. By the time we get there some of use will have been in the car for 24 hours.

Some teheories we have for being so late:
- taking a weird route
- oaklahoma having a black hole that sucks time- space into it
- our stop at chllis adding time
- the weird he/she who made us take an hour for 6 miles
- we were abducted by aliens and are in fact not ourselves.

We have about one hour left, so see you all soon (or not)

Duke

The correct answer is #2, of course.

Also: I'm in Tampa! Flight heads out at 3:15! WAR Games Con or bust!

Aldramelech
07-30-2010, 12:28 PM
The correct answer is #2, of course.

Also: I'm in Tampa! Flight heads out at 3:15! WAR Games Con or bust!

Taking the plane...... What a wuss :D

Aldramelech
07-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Have you tried singing yet?

I know a song that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves, I know a song that'll get on your nerves all night long..........

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Faultie
07-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Taking the plane...... What a wuss :D

My Kroot have found the transit-hubs on this planet to be remarkably easy to infiltrate!
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/darcoarco/WM/kroot-airport.jpg

Duke
07-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Al....most......th....ere......WA...T...E...R!!!

In otter news, real men would take a canoe!

Duke

Duke
07-30-2010, 01:11 PM
My Kroot have found the transit-hubs on this planet to be remarkably easy to infiltrate!
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/darcoarco/WM/kroot-airport.jpg

Is that a thread jack? God damn people in airports who don't have to wait for 3G coverage!

Duke

Duke
07-30-2010, 02:27 PM
So we are in the main room and there is a crap ton of people here... You can barely hear anything to check in due to the noises of nerds arguing of inches (I cant wait till the 40k tourney to do the same).

Ill give the room a few walkarounds and post another update soon.

Also, I must say that the shower and toothbrushing that followed the long long long drive was at least in the top ten of greatest showers ever.

If your here and want to say hey to me, im going to try to get a "hello, my name is Duke" sticker thing.

Duke

Aldramelech
07-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Anybody who is wearing a "Hello Im Aldramelech" is not me, punch them for me! Really really hard........

Duke
07-30-2010, 03:32 PM
So far I have punched three people for aldra already (jk). Seriously though this place is nuts, and I'm too exhausted from driving all through the night to try and socialize. I'm really bumbed we didn't get here early enough tl participate in the team tlurnie because it is looking like tons of fun.

A couple of guys from our group are in the room trying to finish up their armies and junk... Gotta love the pre-tourney pairing/prepping frenzy!

Looking forward to watching the last round of the team tournament. And then, dinner!

Duke

scadugenga
07-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Glad you avoided Amarillo doom.

Make sure you get decent rest tonight, and good luck!

RocketRollRebel
07-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Dude sounds awesome! Where are you coming from? Being in a touring band for 4 years I had a lot of those ridiculous drives across nothing (aka Oklahoma and west texas! El Paso to anywhere bloooowwws!). I love road trips to tournys with friends. This is getting me all excited to make one... Adepticon 2011 perhaps... Damn it I'm drunk posting at 1am, listening to Tom Waits and jealous that I'm not at WarGamesCon! Looking forward to more updates tho man! Glad you guys made it alright!

Duke
07-31-2010, 06:59 AM
So I waS able to get some kind of sleep last night after my opening gaming (which ended at 11:30). It was a kill point mission against a vulkan mech list that I won against one of my buddies who is an excellent player. Hopefully that isn't all of my victory list this weekend. Netting all the bolls guys has been cool and they're all great. I'm going to not bring my iPad down during the tourney for obvious reasons but ill update at breaks.

More to come

Duke

DarkAngelHopeful
07-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Grats on the win! Your travel log makes me feel like I'm almost there. lol Maybe next time.

griffen
07-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Duke, you sir are a slacker!

I've gotten a dozen text messages from one of your travel/car mates, the one with the imperial fists Lamentors.

I even got an update on how you and Mr. Coffee are doing.

Hope the Con is so awesome you just don't have time to post.

Duke
07-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Yes, yea the con has been sk awesome i haven't had time to post! All in all I have been having a great time and will post the detailed reports in a little while. For now here is the summary

Started out on table 11 and from what i have understood the tables were seeded to start based on list strength, that is the cloest I have been to the top table since then. I have spent most of my time in the 20's though I did make a stint at 48 ( where is scored 48 points lol)

Battle one summary:
Opponent: jet bike elder
Outcome: victory
Notes: we couldn't really hurt each other much so it was more about jockeying for position.

Battle two summary:
Oponent: mech guard
Outcome: loss
Notes: I was tableling him and in a normal game (we got to turn 3) I would have massacred him... However, his last turn took 20 minutes and as such made it so we couldn't do another turn. All in all I rocked the list, but the time didn't work in my favor.

Duke

Duke
08-01-2010, 06:27 AM
Battle four:
Opponent: foot orcs
Notes: great guy, not so great list... Shot Gaz and 10 nobs to death before they got to assault. Despite the result this guy was my favourite to play, he understands that competitive play doesn't mean auto douche-bagery.

Game four:
Opponent: daemons
Notes: opponent was fun and we had a bloody fight to the finish, in the end a magical train of plaugebearers was able to capture two objectives by a millimeter... Bummer. Put simply I had a really bad target priority and he had one turn where he rolled really well and exploded both of my baals.

More to come at lunch.

Duke

RocketRollRebel
08-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Woot! Wish I was there now. Gah. Gotta get to a GT now...

Duke
08-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Ok so now that i am home I can post a bit about the rest of my games.

Game 5
Opponent: blood angels
Notes: I won on the primary, but because we rushed through the last turn in about ten seconds I forgot to speed my tanks forward to get secondary and tertiary, this meant that i lost on overall points,but not by much. He was a fun guy who does a lot with adepticon apparently. All said it was. Bloody game of blood angels v blood angels. The highlit is when my assault marines ate mephiston in close combat and then went on to take an assault from th/ss terms only to kill them too. They finally went down after another full strength assault squad ran into them.

Game 6
Opponent: chaos marines (all nurgle)
Notes: I felt bad for this guy cause I absolutely destroyed him. I immobilized and weapon destroyed all of his rhinos surrounding his land raider, making him stuck in s box of his own rhinos! He questioned me a lot of rules but I was right on all occasions, that started to irritate me a bit, but whatever. In the end I got max points. He did get
Props from me at the end for admitting that he was being a punk.

Duke