PDA

View Full Version : Daemons and deepstrike assault

Moros
07-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Hey guys, Quick question here

can daemons assault after deep striking? I heard they can from someone and I wanted to double check.

Thanks!

LadasN
07-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Daemons can assault after DS in the chaos MARINES codex (confirmed, I have my codex here).
According to my friend who plays codex DAEMONS, they can't but I've never looked at that codex so I can't say for sure.

Leez
07-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Codex: Chaos Space Marines - Summoned Daemons, yes. "Once deployed, the Daemons cannot do anything else in that turn's Movement phase, but after that they are free to act as normal (they can Assault in the same turn that they enter the game).p61
Codex: Chaos Daemons - Everything, no. "When a unit becomes available, it enters play by Deep Strike."p27.

BRB Deep Strike - "In that turn's Assault phase, however, these units may not launch an assault . . . unless clearly stated in their special rules . . ."p95

Moros
07-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Thank you very much that answered my question!

I thought as much, sounds weird but I guess codex daemons would be way too powerful if they could do that

blackarmchair
07-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Ugh Codex: Chaos Daemons is already cheesy enough, 1st turn assault would be 6 kinds of retarded.

PinoyC
07-28-2010, 12:51 AM
seriously...I remember when they first came out and we didn't realize this fact...I was utterly destroyed...and absolutely livid once I found out the right way.

DrLove42
07-28-2010, 04:48 AM
Yeah...however you play them in Planetstrike and anything that has the deep strike rules (aka most demons) CAN deep strike the turn they arrive...so demons get horrible...

Least thats how we interpreted it down here :P

Daemonette666
07-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Ugh Codex: Chaos Daemons is already cheesy enough, 1st turn assault would be 6 kinds of retarded.
NO, I play them, and unless you are playing Planet Strike, then NO. They can run, or they can shoot, but as per the deep strike rules, they can not assault.

Only the new Suped up, ultra powerful armies designed to close combat the enemy, wiht their deepstriking land raiders, and assault/ jump infantry who only deviate 1 D6", and have fast tanks can assault on the turn they arrive.

Unfortunately GW in their wisdom and preference for anything Imperial, have made it that the new imperium based armies i.e. - Blood Angels, Space Wolves, etc get to assault for many if not most their assault troops on the turn they deep strike. Poor Armies (not imperiem based) who rely on assault for their bread and butter like Daemons do not get that luxury.

Daemonette666
07-28-2010, 07:28 AM
I think the Blood Angels have taken that role now. They could roll over daemons with their eyes closed and one hand tied behind their backs. Seriously, who ever design the BA codex, just wanted to build an army with rules designed to kill off every other close combat orientated army that has gone before it.

In my first game with daemons, I was totally wiped off the board by a Tau player, Then almost wiped out by an Imperial Guard player. The number of deep strike mishaps I have had is astronomical, especially against opponents who target my units with icons, and ranged weapons. My forces end up spread too thin, and and can not co-ordinate your assaults. If I try to deploy out of sight and away from the enemies concentrated fire lanes, it takes ages to get close to engage in close combat.

Daemons do not have it all their way. They are so easy to beat if you know how they work. Once Blood Angels have been around for a while, they will be able to be defeated, but it will take a lot of time to develop tactics against them with all their bonus cheesy rules.

I expect the Dark Eldar to be quite strong, but being a non Imperium army, not as strong as Blood Angels. If they re-release Grey Knights, they will be insanely biased so they can hlold their own aaginst almost anyone, and daemons will not have a chance at all. Sisters, I do not know, they were never that popular with GW , but maybe they will make them woth while in a new codex.

whitestar333
07-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Wow, the question was answered so perhaps the rants are unnecessary...

Jwolf
07-29-2010, 07:07 AM
And probably the commentary on the rants. And the commentary on that... (It's unnecessary commentary all the way down) ;)

wolflold
08-02-2010, 04:54 AM
Unfortunately GW in their wisdom and preference for anything Imperial, have made it that the new imperium based armies i.e. - Blood Angels, Space Wolves, etc get to assault for many if not most their assault troops on the turn they deep strike. Poor Armies (not imperiem based) who rely on assault for their bread and butter like Daemons do not get that luxury.

Get your facts straight! Only the vanguard unit (Blood Angels & Space marines) can assault in the same turn they deepstrike. Space Wolves can only deepstike via droppod and still not assault.

If Deamons would get the rule for charging while deepstriking they would be over powered! Ther's a reason why Deamons are cheap you know, its almost an horde army.

Laughing God
08-03-2010, 06:43 AM
Yep, 16 pts for a Bloodletter. Dirt cheap! /sarcasm

With the lack luster saving throws most Daemons were granted, you are nearly forced to run a horde type army. But you'll never compare (in numbers) to Orks and Nids.

They could have allowed Daemons to assault once they enter play, but they could have eliminated or added some special rules to level the field a bit, but still provide Daemons the hardcore killing power they deserve. Such as... no bullseye for deep strike. They always deviate 2D6 on entry.

Either way, Daemons are much stronger than most people give them credit for. They are a tricky army to master, and can drive their controlling player damn near insane - but their models are great and what they lack in long range fire power, they make up for in power weapons. And Soul Grinders are just NASTY!!!

Mentat
08-03-2010, 01:11 PM
I think the Blood Angels have taken that role now. They could roll over daemons with their eyes closed and one hand tied behind their backs. Seriously, who ever design the BA codex, just wanted to build an army with rules designed to kill off every other close combat orientated army that has gone before it.

I have already beaten Blood Angels with daemons many times since the new BA Codex came out. Not much of a problem really, I was surprised after hearing all the rants about them on the Internet. I haven't played them for a month or so with the daemons though, I've been using CSM lately.