PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush vs regular compressors?

biggs
07-26-2010, 09:32 AM
I've always wanted an airbrush, and yesterday for my birthday my wonderful fiancee gave wrapped up a bottle of airbrush cleaner with a note telling me to go pick one out! freakin sweet right?

for my airbrush i think im going with the Eclipse HP-CS (http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/eclipse-airbrush-with-accessories-330266/) it seems to be a solid airbrush, and i have a 40% off coupon from hobby lobby to use.

Now the compressor is my next step, and it looks like i'm shelling out the cash for it. Seems like the mainstay of airbrush compressors are either overrpriced playschool toys (http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/blue-mini-compressor-118638/) or just really expensive

i realize i'll be using one for some time, so i have no problem forking out the cash for a good one, but what REALLY seperates these compressors from say your average garage air compressor? (http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/oilless-compressors.html?order=price&dir=asc)

harbor freight has a couple affordable "airbrush compressors" (see above link) but im assuminthey're of a cheaper manufacture than others.

so bottom line, is a compressor a compressor? or does price reign supreme? let me know what you think!

Cruor Vault
07-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Those "airbrush compressors" that many airbrush manufacturers want to sell you are overpriced pieces of crap. Most of them are no quieter than a small household compressor but have a significant drawback. They run constantly! Diaphragm compressors don't have a pressurized tank, so in order to keep using the brush, they need to be on all the time. A compressor with a pressure regulator and tank (integrated on most of the harbor freight compressors) allows you to work for 20-30 minute stretches without any noise.

A small compressor from Harbor freight will be more than suitable for your airbrushing needs. All you need to do is make sure you have the proper connectors to connect the brush to the compressor. I reccomend a Quick connect coupling and a little bit of Teflon tape. I use a 100PSI, 3 gallon compressor from Harbor Freight myself and I love it!

biggs
07-26-2010, 11:52 AM
thats some great news! i'd much rather spend 80 bucks on a compressor that i could use for other light air applications than 300 on a specific application piece of equipment! my other concern is that some of the harbor freight compressors kick on at under 120 PSI, which i've been told is the ideal pressure for brushing, do most of these compressors have a way to manually engage the pump or will i need to drain down to the turn on point before it recharges to full? i suppose it wouldn't be a huge deal, but it would be nice to know beforehand.

Lane
07-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Ideal pressure is IIRC 10-15 psi, not 120.

If using a tank style compressor you need a separate regulator, even if it has one built in. Most integral regulators are meant for high volume regulation and are only accurate in the +/- 5 lb range. If you can find one with a output pressure close to the desired range it is probably better for your use.Also use a moisture trap.

biggs
07-26-2010, 04:36 PM
whoops, meant to put 20 PSI not 120, i'd like to paint some minis and not shoot them across the room!

so now im buying one of the 3 gal compressors, but i need a good regulator and moisture trap, can anyone reccommend one?

TheBitzBarn
07-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Stay away form Harbor Freight. I tired that route and It was a total bust the fittings they use are off and they are hard to find fitting that reduce down to your needs. I ended up getting a 100 compressor form Lowes and Works liek a champ has a 2 gallon tank and it came with a Trim Nail gun.

Cruor Vault
07-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Stay away form Harbor Freight. I tired that route and It was a total bust the fittings they use are off and they are hard to find fitting that reduce down to your needs. I ended up getting a 100 compressor form Lowes and Works liek a champ has a 2 gallon tank and it came with a Trim Nail gun.

Many compressors use Universal Plumbers Code (UPC for short) threads in their connections. A simple $1 part available near the compressors and some Teflon tape (UPC is meant to be used with Teflon tape) will provide a proper airtight seal and convert to the thread type that Airbrush hoses use (not a terribly common thread type in the world of Pneumatics).

TheBitzBarn
07-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Many compressors use Universal Plumbers Code (UPC for short) threads in their connections. A simple $1 part available near the compressors and some Teflon tape (UPC is meant to be used with Teflon tape) will provide a proper airtight seal and convert to the thread type that Airbrush hoses use (not a terribly common thread type in the world of Pneumatics).

Maybe but I went to 3 hardware store to get the part and they said nope and then I called Harbor and they said what do you expect these are cheap and made in China. So for 50 dollars more I got a great compressor and a nail gun. Seems like a much better deal to me

chromedog
07-27-2010, 10:28 PM
I spent $60 and change on a compressor for my airbrush.
It was originally a tankless, 12v compressor intended for inflating car tyres and so on.

It is now my frankenstein's monster compressor. Tank, regulator, moisture trap and hoses and fittings came from a local (next door to where I used to work) pneumatic supplier. Compressor is turned on to 'charge' the tank (which gives an hour of spray time) and is then shut off. It can do from 20psi up to 150psi (so also good for pressure casting).

It's easily the equal of a conventional "airbrush" compressor - with the advantage that it uses regular parts and is thus easier to get spares for.

Ugly74
07-29-2010, 01:16 AM
Another cheaper alternative that Ive used every now and then is a car tyre. Take it down to the gas station, follow the inflation instructions and away you go... works best if you have a shed or dedicated painting room .... significant others tend to get a lil grumpy at the spare sitting tint he middle of the kitchen