PDA

View Full Version : Game Points

tom.landy
07-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Whats the new norm for points for games in WFB8? We talking 3000 as standard now? That seems to be GW's take from the book...

Chuck777
07-26-2010, 08:07 AM
I believe the new normal is going to be 2500 points, with 3000 being the new high end/Ard Boyz.

Jack_Hammer
07-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Depends on your area and player base.

In my area the "gaming players" feel no need to increase the point levels from current levels, the powergamers however want to play with as many points as possible.

And obviously people that own game stores want to point value increased from a business standpoint so they only serve to enable the vocal powergamers.

I think the main issue is if you want to play 7th edition style, you know where flanks mean something etc.. you have to play with a billion points so you can big enough units to actually break ranks.

So i do somewhat understand the push to play with more points.

And to think i almost thought for a second that 8th edition was not rigged to sell more models.

Chuck777
07-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I think the main issue is if you want to play 7th edition style, you know where flanks mean something etc.. you have to play with a billion points so you can big enough units to actually break ranks.

Or you accept that you will field less unit in total but they will all be much larger.

And to think i almost thought for a second that 8th edition was not rigged to sell more models.

The problem isn't the system forcing people to play with more points, its the outspoken minority of people who do not want to make hard choices when constructing an army list that force the community as a whole to increase the standard points total.

Fizyx
07-26-2010, 09:36 PM

I still don't think that was the entire purpose of the focus on infantry.

This is coming from a WoC player who had a love/hate relationship with the fact that you could build a fairly solid 2500 point list for under 200 dollars. (Cavalry lists are quite cheap.) I wanted to field more infantry, but there really was no good reason to. Now, we have 8th edition. Yes, I have already spent a lot of money buying infantry, but I am loving it.

If 8th edition didn't stir the pot up then it would have been nothing more than a glorified errata. I like the changes, and I think GW recognized that a lot of people will. There might have been some fiscal consideration, but I do believe it was secondary.

eldargal
07-27-2010, 01:53 AM
Warhammer is about big blocks of infantry clashing in combat. The rules now reflect that, thank god. The fact that people are complaining about it just goes to show how accustomed people were to fielding WFB armies whos size would disgrace a 40k skirmish.:rolleyes:
I've fought some very enjoyable 1000pt battles in the past week or so, where previously battle that small were really unsatisfactory, in my opinion.