PDA

View Full Version : Spears

Akimbo Lizard
07-23-2010, 08:45 PM
If I buy spears can I chose to use HW/S if I also have a HW and S?

addamsfamily36
07-23-2010, 09:16 PM
As far as i am aware, No.

Reason being a spear is a "special" weapon, and when armed with a special weapon you must use it.

I may be wrong on that though but i'm almost 89 percent positive

slxiii
07-24-2010, 12:13 AM
As far as i am aware, No.

Reason being a spear is a "special" weapon, and when armed with a special weapon you must use it.

I may be wrong on that though but i'm almost 89 percent positive

I believe the rule you are referring to is one which forces characters to use their magic weapons instead of other weapons. I may be wrong though.

Akimbo Lizard
07-24-2010, 12:30 AM
I believe the rule you are referring to is one which forces characters to use their magic weapons instead of other weapons. I may be wrong though.

My opponents logic was that it didn't say it replaces it

Jwolf
07-24-2010, 02:50 AM
P. 89 CLOSE COMBAT WEAPONS "If a model carries a special close combat weapon, he must fight with it in the Close Combat phase - he cannot elect to wield his hand weapon instead."

Lunar Camel
07-24-2010, 12:35 PM
On characters, I believe if it is a magic weapon than you have to use the magic weapon.

On rank and file troops, you can use either a spear or hand weapon and shield if it is equipped with both. Some troops (the army book will tell you) will replace their HW&S with a spear/halberd/etc. If it replaces the HW&S, then obviously, you can only use the spear/halberd/whatever. Some troops can have it as an upgrade which grants you both. Bretonnian Men-at-Arms are equipped this way with halberd and HW&S as standard.

When you are in close combat you have to decide which one to use and cannot switch back and forth through the combat. If you use the spears, you continue to use them till the combat is finished. It comes down to the decision of getting the rank attack bonus or better armor save.

Ka Faraq Gatri
07-24-2010, 01:22 PM
P. 89 CLOSE COMBAT WEAPONS "If a model carries a special close combat weapon, he must fight with it in the Close Combat phase - he cannot elect to wield his hand weapon instead."

^This

Lunar Camel, what you said was the 7th edition rule. In 8th edition, troops with a "special" ccw (ie, anything NOT a basic hand weapon) HAVE to use that weapon - they are specially trained to do so, that is the weapon that they practice with daily, they will not voluntarily handicap themselves by using a weapon they are less familar with.

As Jwolf wrote, page 89 in the rulebook.

It comes down to the decision of getting the rank attack bonus or better armor save.

Also, using hand weapon and shield doesn't give you a better armour save over spear and shield any more, just an additional 6+ ward save.

Lunar Camel
07-24-2010, 05:26 PM
You're probably right. I'll have to read the rule book again.

Just when I got used to the last rulebook.

Lunar Camel
07-24-2010, 10:08 PM
So I read the BRB. Turns out, spears/halberds/etc are considered special weapons and the troops that use them wouldn't dare dream of using anything else.

The only purpose for having a shield is to use it for shooting or magic purposes. In close combat, they can only use their "special weapon".

Ka Faraq Gatri
07-25-2010, 06:35 AM
The only purpose for having a shield is to use it for shooting or magic purposes.

You still get the +1 armour save that all shield users get (as long as they're not using a "requires 2 hands" weapon) - you just don't get the special 6+ ward save unless you're using - specifically - a normal hand weapon and shield.

So, for example:

An Empire State Trooper with hand weapon, light armour and shield gets a 5+ armour save vs shooting or in close combat & a 6+ ward save in close combat.

An Empire State Trooper with spear, light armour and shield gets a 5+ armour save vs shooting or in close combat.

An Empire State State Trooper with halberd, light armour and shield gets a 5+ armour save vs shooting and a 6+ save in close combat.